Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2009, 12:26 am

If I am in a crowd more like a 10, and in a conversation with 6 or 7 people maybe a 5 or 6. one on one maybe a 4 or 5. :cyclopsani:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 4:22 am

In terms of actually difficulty, maybe a 3 or 4. In terms of lack of eye contact because it doesn't occur to me to do it, more like 7-ish, but that's to do with forgetting that people "need" eye contact, not discomfort.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 8:17 pm

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 8:36 pm

9. Occasionally I'll look at someone's eyes for a split second, but in general it doesn't happen.

tooblue
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2014, 9:23 pm

With immediate family a 4 or 5. Everyone else a 9.

I can force myself to make eye contact but I find it hard to think.

When I met my new boss this past summer i forced myself to make eye contact with him but by the end of the conversation I ended up shaking like when my blood sugar goes low.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 9:25 pm

I would say somewhere around seven. I tend to stare a lot at people just before becoming self conscious of that fact and feeling odd about it.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 9:51 pm

Up close I would say 9 or above.
At a distance I can look people (at the eye), but it still bothers me to extent that I can't hear them.
With people I'm close to and very familiar with, I can do it sort of comfortably some times, for a short period.

To me, it feels like looking into hell itsself. It scares me to my core. Paralizes my mind. It takes supreme effort to pretend to do it.

I realy would like to know what this is all about, and why I have such a hard time doing something so normal for everyone else.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 9:56 pm

iniudan wrote:
What do you mean by eye contact if you mean keep visual on person or actually eye to eye contact ?

If eye to eye contact used to be 10 but now it more like 8-9.

If you mean keeping visual on person it use to be 8-9 and his now more like 4.

My ergotherapist is the one who made me notice it was disturbing to the NT to not have visual contact with whom they are speaking too, so she just made me a sign to show I should go and look at her each time I went back to wandering, still doesn't fully feel natural but guess it help a lot with seeing less awkward in at least when I got to do with more usual conversation. I admit would still prefer to make my look wander from time to time. (And head actually still wander like it use to when speaking to myself)

an ergotherapist?????

XandirKai
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Dec 2014, 10:03 pm

Friends and family: 3-4
Co-Workers: 5-6
Strangers: 7 or so

I learned at an early age to just look at people's noses. They usually cannot tell the difference. My manager at work, she never blinks, I swear. It makes me absolutely miserable. But I can't ask someone to fix how their eyes are. I would come off as super rude. I tend to look past her slightly when I have to talk with her. Luckily it is not often. With friends and family I can sneak looks in their eyes when they aren't looking. My girlfriend was actually proud of me, when I was able to keep eye contact with her for more the a second. I like the color of her eyes, so that helps. Still difficult, but she understands.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 10:05 pm

XandirKai wrote:
Friends and family: 3-4
Co-Workers: 5-6
Strangers: 7 or so

I learned at an early age to just look at people's noses...

I look at them between the eyes, at about a distance of around 1 meter then can't tell anyways.

allthingsdigital
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2014, 10:30 pm

8 or 9. Depending on who i'm talking with or where i am. My family knows i am uncomfortable making eye contact, so i don't force myself to make it. In public i have to force myself, to the point where i get frightened that i am staring. It is very difficult. :)

hughgr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2014, 12:07 am

I wear sunglasses just about 90% of the time and this seems to do the trick. It make other people really uncomfortable otherwise.

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

09 Dec 2014, 1:58 am

4-5 if it's someone I like, but still not for very long, my gaze will wander to their nose or chest or over their head.

8-9 if it is a person I don't know well and for only a limited time. But, if I don't like a person, not only can I not look in their eyes, I can't look at them at all...makes me very anxious and angry.

StellarSky
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Dec 2014, 5:39 am

I usually fake eye contact by looking at people without looking at their eyes. It makes me feel so exposed and vulnerable to look them in the eyes. Even looking at a picture of someone in the eyes is hard for me to do, but sometimes I do and I am surprised by their beauty.

devin12
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2014, 2:19 pm

9 except with my husband, but even then I have to look away to talk.

livnah
Raven
Raven

09 Dec 2014, 2:31 pm

8. I can force myself to, but it's confusing, exhausting, and really really difficult. I've come to realise that for many people they need it in order to form a connection, so I force myself to do it despite the difficulty.

All that being said, when someone in a movie looks directly at the camera, I usually walk out of the room. Magazine adverts like that will force me to put them down.