Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

livnah
Raven
Raven

09 Dec 2014, 2:31 pm

8. I can force myself to, but it's confusing, exhausting, and really really difficult. I've come to realise that for many people they need it in order to form a connection, so I force myself to do it despite the difficulty.

All that being said, when someone in a movie looks directly at the camera, I usually walk out of the room. Magazine adverts like that will force me to put them down.

JustSoCurious
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Dec 2014, 2:35 pm

I can do it, but it is very uncomfortable for me, especially if I'm looking at someone with asymmetric details in their eyes or face. I can feel my eyes wandering as they focus on all the different details. I get real frigidity and have to connect my hands or arms.

I have no idea how to rate my ability.

I'm usually okay with it on the approach, and then it falls apart when verbal communication starts. I naturally just look away as soon as they address me. I'm okay if the conversation isn't on me because it seems like ordinary people break away when they start talking.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 2:47 pm

When I was a teenager or young adult - it was probably about eight. By my mid twenties it probably was probably about 5. By my mid thirties and still now it is probably about 3.

I had to edit this because I got the scoring backwards. :(

- Albert Einstein

Cyd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Dec 2014, 7:32 pm

I just don't.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2014, 11:09 pm

5ish. I don't really make the contact though so it's not too big a deal. I look at the speaker's mouth. Have you tried that?

Ohdannyboy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2014, 11:29 pm

9 or 10 with people I've just met
6 or 7 with friends
1 or 2 with someone I'm in a relationship with

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 11:47 pm

2, as my social skills are minimal.

Happycampus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2014, 12:18 am

I'm a 7 or 8.

LargeFormatPhoto
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Dec 2014, 12:18 am

10. Don't.

Cheers, Dave

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 2:11 am

If the other person is talking, a 2 or 3 if I'm talking, a 10, even if the person I'm talking to is my mom. Eye-contact sucks.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 2:31 am

Well, I never really look directly into people's eyes unless I'm consciously making an effort to, at which point I lose the ability to listen to them. Though I do look at their mouth usually. So maybe 8 I guess.

- Sherlock Holmes

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 5:21 am

10. It doesn't happen.

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2014, 5:23 am

10. It's complicated by the fact I can't see well, too.

Dylstew2
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Dec 2014, 9:30 am

I used to have problems with it. Eventually I just kept looking at people's foreheads and later I started looking into their eyes and now I can do it. I guess a 2/10 or something. It's harder when around people I don't know though.

KAOS
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Dec 2014, 12:22 pm

I don't know. This topic confuses me.
I always thought I had learned to have a lot of eye contact (I can remember a time when I was maybe nine, when I learned to remember to look at people when talking to them). A few weeks ago I learned more about AS and started wondering if I had it. But I still thought, ok, I have these symptoms and those as well, actually almost everything, but I don't look away when I'm talking to someone!

Then I started watching myself about one week ago. It's very difficult, because I need to concentrate so much when I talk to someone and at the same time think about where I look at. And also, I'm not sure if I behave other than I would have before, only because I'm thinking so much about it.
So, from the short time I've been watching myself, I would say: No, most of the time I don't have eye contact, only some glances. Normally I look at people's mouths or sometimes noses. And sometimes I turn away while the talking is still going on. 8O That surprised me.
I didn't tell my boyfriend about my "experiment", I only told him about that I think I have AS and asked if he thinks I appear strange to others. He said I would appear normal, so at least he doesn't notice when I often look at his mouth instead of his eyes. But I also think he's the one person with whom I have a lot of eye contact.

During the last days, I looked people in the eye more often and a little longer, and it didn't feel so bad. However, I wasn't sure about how long these eye contacts should be. But I think I'm able to get better at it.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 1:03 pm

I give my self a 6-7 sometimes when I'm talking with somebody I know they may say it's ok dude you can look at me when you talk. I try to glance over at the person but mostly I don't make too much eye contact when talking...