Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2009, 10:11 pm

I decided to see how others felt about this quirk as it has been one of my most trying symptoms in social settings and on the job. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being no difficulty to 10 being extremely difficult how would you score yourself on eyecontact?

I would be about a 9.5 No kidding :?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 10:14 pm

I'll go with a 8 or 9

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 10:22 pm

Probably 3 or 4. I can do eye contact, it just takes a lot of my processing ability. If I'm in a quiet room, not being asked difficult questions that require a lot of thinking, I can do it just fine. If there's noise or other distractions, or I need to analyze something or think about my answers, no. If I'm stressed I also can't easily do it. It's not that it bothers me (in most cases, anyway), it's that I can't think as clearly when I do it.

Victor
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Aug 2009, 10:23 pm

4 or 5. but I have been working on it for a very long time.

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2009, 10:29 pm

I would say 10 or very close to it. I avoid pretty much all eye contact.

iniudan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2009, 10:36 pm

What do you mean by eye contact if you mean keep visual on person or actually eye to eye contact ?

If eye to eye contact used to be 10 but now it more like 8-9.

If you mean keeping visual on person it use to be 8-9 and his now more like 4.

My ergotherapist is the one who made me notice it was disturbing to the NT to not have visual contact with whom they are speaking too, so she just made me a sign to show I should go and look at her each time I went back to wandering, still doesn't fully feel natural but guess it help a lot with seeing less awkward in at least when I got to do with more usual conversation. I admit would still prefer to make my look wander from time to time. (And head actually still wander like it use to when speaking to myself)

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 10:44 pm

I got clued in about eye contact when I was a kid, so I observed and learned how to do it so it appears fairly natural, or so I've been told. I never really thought about it, but a psychologist recently asked me if I had a physical reaction to eye contact and I found out I did. it hurts my stomach. sustained eye contact makes me very anxious.

I also cannot look into my own eyes in the mirror. it makes me want to throw up.

I don't know what that would be on a numeric scale. I can do it, I've been doing it so long that I'm used to it, and I'm glad I know how to do it even if I wish I didn't have to work on it.

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2009, 11:03 pm

In a crowd, 8, and in a secluded and quiet conversation with only 2-3 people maybe a 5. I'm in small 'pods' with less excitedable tipes

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 11:17 pm

Ok, I'll say 10 equates to absolutely no eye contact under all situations (which would be pretty rare, but there you go), and with 1 being "normal"; 5 being no or inappropriate eye contact when talking to someone....

I'll go with 7 (I would say 5 to 6, but I'm probably worst than I think I am).

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 11:46 pm

About 2 or 3 I guess. I don't mind it, I just have to think about when to do it and used to forget to do it a lot.

Seraphim
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Aug 2009, 11:53 pm

For me, it's a 9.9. I only make eye contact when I'm on a job interview--and most recently, a college interview. I had to FORCE myself to look the college director in the eye and I wanted to throw up. I became so nauseous and had to fight the urge to look away or at something else. I also had to pay attention even though I wanted to sing a song in my head. The hardest thirty minutes of my present life (because there were harder moments in the past).

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 12:41 am

I think it would depend for me... casual eye contact is horribly uncomfortable, but once I start, I don't stop. I'll just keep staring and staring-people always ask me what is wrong or if I'm okay once I start making it. I'm much more comfortable with my back turned to someone talking to them than looking in their direction anyway.

DWill
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2009, 2:26 am

9 with complete strangers
4-5 with people I know

I think alcohol makes it even easier.

Squirsh
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2009, 3:40 am

About a 7.5. I can make some eye contact with my friends and my mother, but looking strangers and acquaintances in the eye is extremely awkward and uncomfortable.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 4:12 am

7 with complete strangers( this is basically only at work, as I have to do this with customers at times), 2-3 with only certain people that I know very well. Other people I know very well....around like the same as with complete strangers in other scenarios: close to 9

That's just me.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 4:26 am

7 or 8 maybe. I hate eye contact. I might look at peoples' mouth or head or something, though. Looking at their eyes for any length of time is just distracting and makes it hard to think about what i'm saying. With certain people, like family and people i know well, i might look at their eyes a little while they're talking.. but i prefer to be looking somewhere else. I can force myself to look at peoples' eyes for extended periods if i want to, but i feel like i'm staring, so i don't do it. It's easier to just avoid much eye contact than it is to try to get just the "right" amount of it. Besides, other objects are usually more interesting to look at than someone's eyes.