Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 4:26 am

7 or 8 maybe. I hate eye contact. I might look at peoples' mouth or head or something, though. Looking at their eyes for any length of time is just distracting and makes it hard to think about what i'm saying. With certain people, like family and people i know well, i might look at their eyes a little while they're talking.. but i prefer to be looking somewhere else. I can force myself to look at peoples' eyes for extended periods if i want to, but i feel like i'm staring, so i don't do it. It's easier to just avoid much eye contact than it is to try to get just the "right" amount of it. Besides, other objects are usually more interesting to look at than someone's eyes.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 4:27 am

Usually, unless it's someone I feel really contact making eye contact with, any effort I put into making the eye contact will be energy and mental power that could've been spent on articulating what I want to say; once I make the eye contact, I can't remember a thing I want to say.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 4:38 am

it really depends.. if i feel safe with that peron then 2-3 and if I must do itwith somone else probily 4-5.... somtimes it is harder fpr the reviever of my eye contact than me

nic_blank
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2009, 5:28 am

7 to 9 i guess
and i really don't care if that makes the nt uncomfortable as the nt never cared about what made me uncomfortable
nt's i have befriended never expressed that the lack of eye contact made them uncomfortable but i don't make too many friends

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 5:48 am

nic_blank wrote:
7 to 9 i guess
and i really don't care if that makes the nt uncomfortable as the nt never cared about what made me uncomfortable
nt's i have befriended never expressed that the lack of eye contact made them uncomfortable but i don't make too many friends

here here

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 6:49 am

1. From none to normal.

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2009, 7:45 am

ColdBlooded wrote:
7 or 8 maybe. I hate eye contact. I might look at peoples' mouth or head or something, though. Looking at their eyes for any length of time is just distracting and makes it hard to think about what i'm saying. With certain people, like family and people i know well, i might look at their eyes a little while they're talking.. but i prefer to be looking somewhere else. I can force myself to look at peoples' eyes for extended periods if i want to, but i feel like i'm staring, so i don't do it. It's easier to just avoid much eye contact than it is to try to get just the "right" amount of it. Besides, other objects are usually more interesting to look at than someone's eyes.

More or less the same. And I really can't see why some people are so obsesed with eye contact. My stupid uncle was always yelling at me "look at me in the eyes when I talk to you!"... honestly, I can't wait for him to die already and rot in hell (long story, I'll just say he's a total a**hole), but as they say, bad weeds never die...

Marsian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2009, 8:05 am

For me I find how easy it is to make eye-contact depends on the type of NT I'm speaking too. If the NT is one of those really confident, loads of eye-contact, fast-moving-conversation types, I instantly feel intimidated by it but if it's someone I'm close too I can tolerate eye-contact but have to think about it.

Also, I find it especially difficult with my Dad who I presume has undiagnosed AS, I am sure he is uncomfortable with it too but we've never spoken about it.

I guess I'd say I find eye-contact an 8 :@

I can do it but it's not intuitive.

The main thing with eye-contact is experience. Like in the beginning I used to make eye-contact, like a stare, hehe, but not know how to break it, so then I would have to, like, slide my eyes to the side to break it. Ugh, it was horrible. Also, I think maybe that side-sliding thing might make NTs think I was being dishonest. But in reality, NTs don't make prolonged eye-contact, the secret is to blink or roll your eyes to break the eye-contact, I have noticed that NTs do this kind of thing a lot.

Yeah, ColdBlooded, I know what you mean... I think I just take it for granted now that NTs are obsessed with eye-contact. After many years of people calling me weird and saying I don't make much eye-contact, blah, blah, it just seemed like the lesser of the evils especially because I had so many problems at work.

But then, sometimes I think maybe I should stop making it / faking it and be true to myself hehe :D

ed
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 10:00 am

Definitely a 10. I can't do it, it's too painful.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Aug 2009, 3:54 pm

It varies depending on the situation and who I'm with. So I'll average it out with a five.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 4:01 pm

About 3 or 4, I can do eye contact, but sometimes it can be hard.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 5:06 pm

Anything between 4-8 depending on the person.

rathernotsay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2009, 8:17 pm

I used to be something 7-8 now I don't care anymore and will burn right through them with a stare.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 10:28 pm

rathernotsay wrote:
I used to be something 7-8 now I don't care anymore and will burn right through them with a stare.

ZZZZZAP!! ! fizzzzzzz!

(Just thought I'd attempt the sound effects of your stare burning through someone.)

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 12:03 am

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2009, 12:26 am

If I am in a crowd more like a 10, and in a conversation with 6 or 7 people maybe a 5 or 6. one on one maybe a 4 or 5. :cyclopsani: