Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 10:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM30nqfasyU

This you tube link explains how going to the cash for clunkers web site is a bad idea.
Why is it a bad idea ?.....

The reason will scare you to death.

If you click the accept button on the agreement then it makes YOUR COMPUTER THE PROPERTY OF THE US GOVERNMENT TO USE HOWEVER THEY WANT.

It means they can use all your files for any thing they want and watch everything you do on the internet.

This is scary ......

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 11:26 pm

Good god almighty!!

Well that's it, I'm moving out of this country...

I've seen enough already.. :(

Last edited by MissConstrue on 09 Aug 2009, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 11:31 pm

Ignorant fear-mongering at its worst.

NOBS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2009, 11:44 pm

P.T. Barnum was right.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 3:32 am

WHEN THEY TAKE YOUR PRIVACY AWAY, I HOPE THEY TAKE YOUR CAPS LOCK TOO!

Barblen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Aug 2009, 3:55 am

TIP: It's FOX NEWS!

Firstly, the disclaimer Glenn Beck the idiot quoted was from a section on a different website, not cars.gov, used for the dealers who are dealing with sensitive information. When it says "the files on this system are property of the government", that means that any files/data the dealers send to the website, not files on their computer. But Glenn cut the middle of the quote out to make it look that way.

And that girl that says "The government has malware systems and tracking cookies and can tap in any time" also has no idea what she is talking about.

Keep watching Faux news wearing your tin foil hat and enjoy believing your conspiracy theories.

Laconvivencia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 4:37 am

just-me wrote:

This you tube link explains how going to the cash for clunkers web site is a bad idea.

If you click the accept button on the agreement then it makes YOUR COMPUTER THE PROPERTY OF THE US GOVERNMENT TO USE HOWEVER THEY WANT.

It means they can use all your files for any thing they want and watch everything you do on the internet.

This is scary ......

do other websites do this

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 5:04 am

The sources of the OP are sensationalists and they are conflating problems from nothing. I know that my ISP records everything I do. My traffic has to route through them. Taking over my computer is pointless. All the "GOVERNMENT" needs to do is effect the collusion of my ISP to know my activities. ie: court order, spying, whatever.

[edit]I shouldnt call people idiots. Post edited to correct my poor behavior[/edit]

Last edited by Fuzzy on 10 Aug 2009, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barblen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Aug 2009, 6:40 am

Laconvivencia wrote:
just-me wrote:

This is scary ......

do other websites do this

If you watch Fox news and wear a foil hat, then yes every website does this, even wrongplanet.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 8:25 am

Fuzzy wrote:
The OP and his sources are idiots. I know that my ISP knows everything I do. My traffic has to route through them. Taking over my computer is pointless. All the "GOVERNMENT" needs to do is effect the collusion of my ISP to know my activities. ie: court order, spying, whatever.

Court order would be the most likely, at least here in the States. Your ISP can always track what you're doing, but most websites can not if you maintain good security practices (I block scripts and reject most cookies, and the cookies I do accept get deleted very quickly, preventing sites like Google from tracking me). It is unlikely that cars.gov contains some sort of malware that allows the government to remotely take control over the computer of anyone who visits, and if they tried my setup (Firefox+NoScript+BetterPrivacy) gives me the best protection available.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 1:36 pm

You can believe what you want . I'm not going to argue about it . I just thought you wanted to know.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 2:39 pm

just-me wrote:
You can believe what you want . I'm not going to argue about it . I just thought you wanted to know.

I wouldn't get too excited.

I agree it wasn't nice of Fuzzy to suggest you were an idiot on this forum.

FYI, it gets pretty flamey around here so just to give you a heads up, be careful with your info...some people take it too personal...

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2009, 2:54 pm

Does this mean that the US goverment is f*****g CRAZY?? I mean, thats the moral of the story, right?

I still have my caps-lock key, btw.

So whats the deal?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 3:02 pm

just-me wrote:

I wear a tinfoil hat while on the internet. I'm still not paranoid enough to believe something this absurd.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 4:01 pm

It wasnt appropriate of me to to call him an idiot. Its a pretty poor way to label someone I dont even know. I will amend my post.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 4:41 pm

They always have. They do. They always will. This is news?

Legal phrases are always written to be as either

1) inclusive as possible... or
2) as specific as necessary.
3) but mainly, to cover all the bases.

Anyone with the proper knowledge, back doors, man in the middle, phishing, nethacking...yada, or yada tools can do the same. Basically there's nothing one person can come up with to protect your privacy, that another can't eventually overcome.

The trick is either to be uninteresting, or anonymous.