Things you wish adults knew when you were a child

Page 3 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 3:48 am

This is why I want my (eventual) kids home-schooled.

They say they'll take a more investive approach to dealing with it, but never really will. Welcome to humanity; not worth my flippin' time.

To quote the great Rorschach yet again, "and the world will look up and shout 'save us', and I will whisper 'no'"

It's funny, but I'm always slightly under the impression that that they're indirectly siding with the bullies. The minute they say "you gotta try expanding your horizons, and learning about their interests", it's their way of saying "the bully is right for picking on you, cause you're different"

It's painful to think about, but I think you all know I'm right.

To quote George W. Bush "you're either for us, or you're against us"

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 4:09 am

Well, what I've always thought a big part of the problem with bullying is in the first place is all this PC crap. Sure, people don't want to offend anyone, but when it's little kids asking questions-let them ask, unless the person directly says they are uncomfortable, generally they'd rather the kid ask questions than to just stand there and stare at them like they are some kind of mutant.

So from the time we are young, we are told "sssh, don't look at that person, don't talk about that person" etc., rather than being encouraged to learn about people who are different.

This winds up associated as a bad thing to ask people why they are different, and later winds up meaning someone different=bad/weird/easy target essentially.

Just my interpretation.

...and yes, it sure does seem like the kid who is the bully often is sided with. We had problems for the first 2 years of school (still ongoing, just less severe) with Zack being constantly teased and picked on. When he reacted, I would always get the call (because I guess his reaction was generally way more obvious than the whispers to him all day long that got past the teachers) "do you discipline your son at home?" "I think you need to be harder on him." "His behavior is getting worse." Still took me forever to get it out of him what was actually going on and why, but man, that was the most annoying thing ever-to be blamed for him reacting to things around him when they knew darn good and well he has his issues with things-getting overstimulated and such.... and to not even LOOK at the other kids as an option. That was the most frustrating part. According to them it was always something I wasn't doing right. ...and even odder, is that they knew it was out of character for him to behave that way anyway, so why didn't they check?

When I told them he was getting tested, the teacher told me directly (in kindergarten), "No, he has nothing wrong with him. What is going on in his home life that we should know about? Are you in a stable relationship, is there abuse, etc.?" They stopped immediately asking and calling about that crap when they got his diagnosis after he was out of school for 3 weeks for it and came back with an IEP.

He wound up suspended for 3 days once, because a kid-all the way through the lunch line, all the way to the table, all the way down the hall heading to lunch even, kept kicking the backs of Zack's legs. He never said anything, and when he set his tray down, he finally hauled off and punched the kid in the stomach knocking him to the ground.

Now, of course, the other problem is, Zack won't explain what lead up to it... he won't tell what others are doing, and the teachers never asked him what the other kid did that caused it. The question asked over and over was "Why did YOU do that?" ...which to him, he's trying to figure out exactly why he did it, not factoring in what bothered him to the point of doing it. He was trying to figure out the specific reason for his own action at the exact moment, and could only say "I don't know". I got the full story when he got home, got the note saying he was suspended... we went to the toy store the next day, lol. Maybe wasn't the best, but you know what, I'm glad he stuck up for himself finally and that kid never did it again.

Last edited by anxiety25 on 18 Aug 2009, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 4:15 am

Wow, in my situation at that point, all the other kids would've been jumping on me for taking out one of "theirs".

I even got made fun of several times for defending myself...and no, the teachers were never on my side either.

Again...homeschooling.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 4:18 am

Tory_canuck wrote:
I got that alot...Stop tattling.If I was being bullied and told a teacher in elementary school that i was being picked on, I was a tattle tale.After being called that, I stopped telling the teachers anything EVEN WHEN THEY WANTED IT.It was basically, I was telling you I was being bullied and was asking for your help..you brushed me off and called me a tattle tale, so now WHY SHOULD I HELP YOU?Its a two way street.From then on, if I was bullied, I took matters into my own hands.Luckily, I only got in trouble a few times...the rest of times, it was ruled out by the principal to be self defence.I didnt take S(*) from anyone...High school was more difficult tho, due to bullying going from upfront to secretive backstabbing gossip.The whole dont be a tattler backfired on those teachers when they needed information on incidences or whiteboard markers walking away.....Ha ha...a few of em walking markers made their way to my house :D My parents sometimes wondered how the computer desk in the computer room kept on restocking itself with new markers.

Yep, I was a "tattler" when I was little as well, and always had the same line of thinking as my son. No one ever asked me why I did it, but I would have said the same as my son.

My neighbor always complained he tattled all the time. One day she asked him (in front of me) why he was tattling so much. He responded, very bluntly, "why bother making rules if you don't care whether or not anyone follows them?" She never called him a tattler again, or made rules in front of him again, lol.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 4:22 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
Wow, in my situation at that point, all the other kids would've been jumping on me for taking out one of "theirs".

Yeah, it would have been like that back when I was younger, too. This school seems to be pretty on top of obvious things going on... they just ignore the little stuff though.

He's been in trouble for a lot of stuff.

I had to warn his teacher too, that if he starts acting up, let him take a break, because he will literally wet himself just to get a 15 minute break from class (when getting picked on) in the nurse's office. They always tell me "check him for a bladder infection"... now I tell them "check his table group and listen closely to what is going on from now on when it happens"... for all I know, they could be doing it just so he will wet himself so they can pick on him even more.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 4:27 am

I wouldn't be surprised.

"Oh, the bully doesn't mean it...he's just acting out his frustrations; of course, you're kid is different, so he's automatically the work of Satan, and should be punished"

Schyeah..........boy did those PSAs work like a charm, right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 4:32 am

ROFLMAO, exactly! I often wonder how often these others kids' parents actually get a phone call for anything that they are doing, and what happens to them when they get home.

Neighbor's kid used to be our bully, until I sat down and explained autism to him. He would call him a nerd all the time, say he didn't deserve friends 'cuz he was too nerdy... just really mean stuff. He'd tease him about how he runs, plays, just everything.

Parents never did anything about it. One day the kid was bored and decided to knock on our door... guess no one else was home to play with. So as they were playing, he kept coming to me telling me "zack won't stop spinning in circles" or "zack won't stop obsessing over such and such a toy".

So that day, before he left, I sat him down and told him Zack is a little different, and explained it to him.

The next day someone called Zack a nerd and the neighbor boy got into a fight with the kid because he was defending Zack, lol. He wound up in a lot of trouble trying to be Zack's protector for a while there.

That's when I figured out it's 'cuz a lot of parents won't bother talking about things that people have that are different, or why they might be the way they are or anything. It's just an untalked about issue, so when the kids actually see it in person, they pick on 'em.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 4:44 am

The parents aren't gonna bother saying anything because deep down, they're no more sympathetic & understanding about your kid, either.

In fact, they're basically projecting onto their kid their hostility towards yours.

Hell, I know my former best friend's parents didn't like me very much...they barely would even talk to me on Facebook.

My Dad's family is that way too..and even used the exact same brushoff that my former classmates did.

What was even worse, regarding my Dad's family...they invited him to NJ for a family function, and he stayed with some of them for a few days; one night, they went to a function at a friend's house, not only didn't bring him, but told him "we've had this planned for weeks". Maybe I should mention my Dad is also very socially awkward....and extremely naive.

He didn't mind, but I took it as very rude, and that they didn't really want to deal with him, either.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 4:46 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
The parents aren't gonna bother saying anything because deep down, they're no more sympathetic & understanding about your kid, either.

In fact, they're basically projecting onto their kid their hostility towards yours.

Hell, I know my former best friend's parents didn't like me very much...they barely would even talk to me on Facebook.

My Dad's family is that way too..and even used the exact same brushoff that my former classmates did.

What was even worse, regarding my Dad's family...they invited him to NJ for a family function, and he stayed with some of them for a few days; one night, they went to a function at a friend's house, not only didn't bring him, but told him "we've had this planned for weeks". Maybe I should mention my Dad is also very socially awkward....and extremely naive.

He didn't mind, but I took it as very rude, and that they didn't really want to deal with him, either.

Holy cow-that is extremely rude! If they invited him out, why in the world would they invite him when they had other plans made as well? That just makes no sense to me.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 4:48 am

It does to me, and let me tell you something else to show you why it does:

I was very nervous about entering Jr. High School, and the whole family knew it.

So, after my first day, everyone called my grandparents, and asked how it was.

They didn't call me...they didn't want to even bother.

I can't wait to see what happens when I invite 'em out here for my wedding when I eventually get married to my gal; that should be an interesting experience. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 5:22 pm

anxiety25 wrote:
Well, what I've always thought a big part of the problem with bullying is in the first place is all this PC crap. Sure, people don't want to offend anyone, but when it's little kids asking questions-let them ask, unless the person directly says they are uncomfortable, generally they'd rather the kid ask questions than to just stand there and stare at them like they are some kind of mutant.

So from the time we are young, we are told "sssh, don't look at that person, don't talk about that person" etc., rather than being encouraged to learn about people who are different.

This winds up associated as a bad thing to ask people why they are different, and later winds up meaning someone different=bad/weird/easy target essentially.

Just my interpretation.

...and yes, it sure does seem like the kid who is the bully often is sided with. We had problems for the first 2 years of school (still ongoing, just less severe) with Zack being constantly teased and picked on. When he reacted, I would always get the call (because I guess his reaction was generally way more obvious than the whispers to him all day long that got past the teachers) "do you discipline your son at home?" "I think you need to be harder on him." "His behavior is getting worse." Still took me forever to get it out of him what was actually going on and why, but man, that was the most annoying thing ever-to be blamed for him reacting to things around him when they knew darn good and well he has his issues with things-getting overstimulated and such.... and to not even LOOK at the other kids as an option. That was the most frustrating part. According to them it was always something I wasn't doing right. ...and even odder, is that they knew it was out of character for him to behave that way anyway, so why didn't they check?

When I told them he was getting tested, the teacher told me directly (in kindergarten), "No, he has nothing wrong with him. What is going on in his home life that we should know about? Are you in a stable relationship, is there abuse, etc.?" They stopped immediately asking and calling about that crap when they got his diagnosis after he was out of school for 3 weeks for it and came back with an IEP.

He wound up suspended for 3 days once, because a kid-all the way through the lunch line, all the way to the table, all the way down the hall heading to lunch even, kept kicking the backs of Zack's legs. He never said anything, and when he set his tray down, he finally hauled off and punched the kid in the stomach knocking him to the ground.

Now, of course, the other problem is, Zack won't explain what lead up to it... he won't tell what others are doing, and the teachers never asked him what the other kid did that caused it. The question asked over and over was "Why did YOU do that?" ...which to him, he's trying to figure out exactly why he did it, not factoring in what bothered him to the point of doing it. He was trying to figure out the specific reason for his own action at the exact moment, and could only say "I don't know". I got the full story when he got home, got the note saying he was suspended... we went to the toy store the next day, lol. Maybe wasn't the best, but you know what, I'm glad he stuck up for himself finally and that kid never did it again.

That's EXACTLY how things went for me in school. If only they knew about Asperger's back then. They let the other kids torment me then punished me when I finally snapped and reacted. I remember one incident where they were kicking me under my desk repeatedly (they put the desks together in pods of 4; I HATED that because it let the abuse and distractions increase ten-fold) and finally I snapped and hit the person in the shin with a book when they tried to kick me.

And they took the side of the bullies far too often. In 2nd grade a kid tried to choke me. I knew how to break a chokehold, but the kid was also throttling me at the time so I couldn't do it. Finally I took the measure of last resort, and gave the kid an uppercut. He went crying to the teacher, I got suspended, he got off scott free.

By the way, I've started a series of Youtube videos aimed at parents. I also plan to expand into other subjects later:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=War ... iew=videos

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 5:49 am

anxiety25 wrote:
Tory_canuck wrote:
I got that alot...Stop tattling.If I was being bullied and told a teacher in elementary school that i was being picked on, I was a tattle tale.After being called that, I stopped telling the teachers anything EVEN WHEN THEY WANTED IT.It was basically, I was telling you I was being bullied and was asking for your help..you brushed me off and called me a tattle tale, so now WHY SHOULD I HELP YOU?Its a two way street.From then on, if I was bullied, I took matters into my own hands.Luckily, I only got in trouble a few times...the rest of times, it was ruled out by the principal to be self defence.I didnt take S(*) from anyone...High school was more difficult tho, due to bullying going from upfront to secretive backstabbing gossip.The whole dont be a tattler backfired on those teachers when they needed information on incidences or whiteboard markers walking away.....Ha ha...a few of em walking markers made their way to my house :D My parents sometimes wondered how the computer desk in the computer room kept on restocking itself with new markers.

Yep, I was a "tattler" when I was little as well, and always had the same line of thinking as my son. No one ever asked me why I did it, but I would have said the same as my son.

My neighbor always complained he tattled all the time. One day she asked him (in front of me) why he was tattling so much. He responded, very bluntly, "why bother making rules if you don't care whether or not anyone follows them?" She never called him a tattler again, or made rules in front of him again, lol.

I found things to be a two way street....if I am being bullied, and tell the teacher and get called a tattle tale, the teacher will find that it WILL BACKFIRE!! !!If any incidences happen regarding missing school property and/or the teachers things being damaged, and I were to know who did it, I REFUSED TO TELL, EVEN IF I DID HAVE SUPERIOR KNOWLEDGE.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 7:56 am

WardenWolf wrote:
That's EXACTLY how things went for me in school. If only they knew about Asperger's back then. They let the other kids torment me then punished me when I finally snapped and reacted. I remember one incident where they were kicking me under my desk repeatedly (they put the desks together in pods of 4; I HATED that because it let the abuse and distractions increase ten-fold) and finally I snapped and hit the person in the shin with a book when they tried to kick me.

And they took the side of the bullies far too often. In 2nd grade a kid tried to choke me. I knew how to break a chokehold, but the kid was also throttling me at the time so I couldn't do it. Finally I took the measure of last resort, and gave the kid an uppercut. He went crying to the teacher, I got suspended, he got off scott free.

By the way, I've started a series of Youtube videos aimed at parents. I also plan to expand into other subjects later:

They still do the pods of 4 thing. I always ask when he sees the names on the desks if he's ever had a problem with the people around him. This year, luckily, he was able to say "I know this person-they used to pick on me last year but by the end of the year they were nice to me. This person is in my friendship group with the counselor, and the other one I don't really know." So it was easy to relay information to the teacher about it and what might arise.

I'm liking your vids I must say on Youtube-wish you had more views-so many people just don't seem all that interested in learning about it. I wish I had one of those little camera things, we could be in cahoots on educating people and making videos to help others (sheesh, with how many people we have here on WP, could you imagine the amount of information we could all get out there for people? Wow!). I attended a seminar, teaching type of dealy and got a GREAT deal of information about how to handle things for normal parents, and they helped me as well. So if you ever want any ideas, or are open to them, etc., have questions about any major issues that could be tackled via the informative videos, let me know :)

It was quite funny when we were watching your videos... my son is saying the whole time "how does he know about Wrong Planet? How does he know we have Aspergers? Why is he telling us stuff we already know?" lol-not grasping it was for other people who don't understand or know. When I explained it, he said you did very well :)

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 7:58 am

WardenWolf wrote:
anxiety25 wrote:

Just my interpretation.

I added you as a friend on youtube.My youtube username is RedEnsign1986

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 8:07 am

Tory_canuck wrote:
I found things to be a two way street....if I am being bullied, and tell the teacher and get called a tattle tale, the teacher will find that it WILL BACKFIRE!! !!If any incidences happen regarding missing school property and/or the teachers things being damaged, and I were to know who did it, I REFUSED TO TELL, EVEN IF I DID HAVE SUPERIOR KNOWLEDGE.

I never had a teacher try to get any information out of me. I just stopped talking to them altogether... probably why I wound up having a lot of depression issues later on in school... but it wasn't too bad-at every school I went to, I wound up with a small group of friends who were always very protective of me for some reason. They said I was too nice, and too much of a pushover, and since I wouldn't stand up for myself a lot of the time, they would.

I think I eventually became rather oblivious-often spent a lot of time in my own little world, because if I paid too much attention to what was going on around me, I'd find myself telling about everything.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2009, 8:15 am

WardenWolf wrote:

People with autism frequently need to mentally prepare themselves before doing something, and also frequently have a poor concept of time. A timetable of "Now" causes stress, frustration, and anger. It is far better to give them a few minutes' warning and / or early reminders to allow them to prepare and be ready.

I agree with this completely.

Another thing I'd add is: if I put my hands over my ears when you start whistling a song to yourself, or you want me to sing a song with you, or anything of the sort, know that maybe I just *can't* do it. It's possible that the whistling actually hurts, or that the extra auditory input of the sound is just too much. And quit tapping your pencil on the table if you want me to a) be sane and b) focus on anything else!