Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

A1197
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2009, 7:03 pm

Backstory:

I just graduated college w/ a business degree in June and have pretty much just been doing everything I can to find a job since then. I did have something lined up at the time, but it fell apart in a hurry. At the moment Im just living at home sending my resume to whoever has something Im remotely qualified for. I want to do something, my parents keep nagging me to find "something", and the economy loses a quarter million jobs. I honestly have no idea what Im supposed to do.

I've been thinking about an MBA. I did graduate cum laude and will be taking the GMAT in a few weeks, But Ive been hearing rumors that 1) a masters isnt worth anything without work experience( I have noticed that most schools I was looking at usually have grads with a few years business experience. My work experience is mostly work-study jobs on campus.), and 2) MBAs as a whole arent worth what they used to be. Altogether, I have a feeling even if I do get in, Ill just be back where I am now in two years.

FWIW, I also have a history minor. Maybe turn that into a bachelors?

JUST WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET A FLIPPIN JOB!?!? :x

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 7:10 pm

Does your school perhaps have a co-op program? (I know my future one does for the bachelor) That could give you some work experience while going to school.
Tell your parents that you're trying to get a job, and it's hard with the rough economy right now.
You don't need a History major, that probably won't help you get a job.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 7:45 pm

A1197 wrote:
But Ive been hearing rumors that 1) a masters isnt worth anything without work experience( I have noticed that most schools I was looking at usually have grads with a few years business experience. My work experience is mostly work-study jobs on campus.), and 2) MBAs as a whole arent worth what they used to be. Altogether, I have a feeling even if I do get in, Ill just be back where I am now in two years.

FWIW, I also have a history minor. Maybe turn that into a bachelors?

JUST WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET A FLIPPIN JOB!?!? :x

Both those rumors are true, and yes you will be more or less at square 1. That being a graduate with no job experience and now 2 expensive pieces of paper of questionable worth. MBA's are a dime a dozen, and they're intended for people who already work in a field, and want to move up further. Otherwise, they may get your foot in a couple more doors (that want an MBA)---- but that's it. No experience=you're screwed. Experience>>>an MBA anyday. A history degree won't help you any more than what you've got. A bachelor's is a bachelors, doesn't matter what it's in unless it's a professional field (IE accounting, nursing, engineering, pharmacy, etc.). or from a top school. I'm guessing you aren't from a top tier business school, otherwise you would've been recruited already.

If you want a career in business, you should go get a job. Intern, volunteer, kiss ass, network, whatever it takes to get a business job now.

But really, now is a bad time to be in your position. You know how many business grads (with years of experience and MBA's from ivy league schools) are unemployed or have had to go into a new field? I would say keep a very open mind about what you could be doing for a living and don't just think inside your field.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 8:33 am

Don't know about business degrees at the BA/BS level, but I know MBAs are pretty much worthless unless you already have a job and the MBA is a fast track to promotion where you are at.

In the marketplace, if you didn't get your MBA at one of the top 5 business schools in the nation, it really doesn't mean anything. So many people have MBAs that none of them stand out. You pay for the pedigree.

This is why education is such a joke. You might know as much as someone from a fancy university, but it's the reputation that opens doors, not what you know.

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2009, 2:49 pm

I probably would make my first priority to get a business-related job (e.g. loan officer, bank teller, financial aid at university, etc). Then your employment may help you with the costs of your MBA (if you want to go that route). If you are not in the top business schools then you probably want to pick the cheapest school that meets your needs with AACSB accreditation. I'm basically in your same boat right now. I had a job but it didn't work out so I am going to find something else. It took about 3-4 months to get the job. It wasn't rolling in the money but $40k is OK as a starting point.

After I get settled into a position I will consider pursuing an MBA at the cheapest AACSB school.

Good luck with the GMAT. It looks pretty tough, I hate standardized test.

BTW, don't limit yourself to jobs that explicitly say Business Admin. I applied to places that specified wanting other degrees but they still interviewed me.

Send 10-15 resumes a day, don't limit yourself to Monster.com and other huge websites. Research some of the companies in your area and go directly to their website and apply. I think your chances are higher that way because there are a smaller pool of applicants. Spruce up your resume...download a program like WinWay Resume. Type in the job you are pursuing and then check out the resume it kicks out. It will help you with the wording of your resume.

Also, go to your schools career center. Sometimes they have services where they will look over your resume. They may also be able to help you on your job search.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2009, 1:45 am

zer0netgain wrote:
This is why education is such a joke. You might know as much as someone from a fancy university, but it's the reputation that opens doors, not what you know.

Sad truth, especially for AS people. Just find a reliable field where anyone can get hired. I went to university and used to believe all the BS, but now I know the painful truth firsthand. Get into trade... any knucklehead can make $40/hour now, your intelligence is just a bonus. You wasted 4 years and a bunch of money getting a degree that probably won't amount to s**t, you're somewhat screwed now. You can either get another degree that doesn't mean s**t, or find a job somehow you can realistically get and retain.

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2009, 4:28 am

I used to tell this to all the first year students when I worked in first year advising: You need to start getting interships, co-ops, and practical experience in your field as soon as possible. Start during your sophomore year/summer and keep going.

If you graduate with no experience, you will have a hard time with a job, no matter your field.

An MBA can be worth it if one or more of the following are true for you:

1. You want to gain skills only available via an MBA
2. You want to use the MBA as a springboard to internships/practical experience
3. You're already working in an industry and want to advance.