Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Tautfortame
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2009, 8:48 pm

What does it mean Asperger's are supposed to have a different sense of humor then NT s? What would be different? I have been told I am funny but that I have a dry sense of humor. I watch sit-com s a lot do other people here? My favorites include 30 rock, Spaced, Arrested development, Family guy and Monty Python. Jim Gaffigan is a prince among men. I dislike MadTV and I find 2 and a half men to be insulting to my sensibilities but that is because those shows suck.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 8:54 pm

Well, I am often told by NTs that I am weird and that I either don't have a sense of humour (because I don't laugh at their "jokes") or that I laugh at things that aren't funny. But I am told by other aspies that I am funny and have a good sense of humour.

However, maybe that's not an AS/NT divide. It could be because I am shy and awkward around most people (ie. NTs), but I am more relaxed and happy around my friends (most of whom are AS).

y es como un semestre"

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 10:52 pm

I find most situation comedies to be idiotic. There are some that will garner a couple of smiles every now and then, but for the most part, I find them to be a waste of time.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 1:02 pm

I have a witty, dark sense of humor, plus I love doing slapstick but can't stand watching it for some reason. Maybe to me it's just one of those things that's more enjoyable when you do it or receive it, as opposed to being a third party to it. Most sitcoms don't really appeal to me, but if I'm bored I'm able to sit through a few of them.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 11:29 pm

Tautfortame wrote:
What does it mean Asperger's are supposed to have a different sense of humor then NT s? What would be different? I have been told I am funny but that I have a dry sense of humor. I watch sit-com s a lot do other people here? My favorites include 30 rock, Spaced, Arrested development, Family guy and Monty Python. Jim Gaffigan is a prince among men. I dislike MadTV and I find 2 and a half men to be insulting to my sensibilities but that is because those shows suck.

My humor is like a storage cupboard: dry and dark.

I don't care for slapstick or humor that involves putting people down. Or toilet humor.

I haven't watched commercial television in over ten years, so I can't really comment on that. But as far as movies go:

I LOVE "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street." I know it's not meant to be a comedy, but there is a lot of funny stuff in there. One of my favorite scenes is with Judge Turpin and the beadle. We have just seen Judge Turpin sentencing a small, hungry boy to death for possibly stealing a loaf of bread. With the wig on, he's pretty darn hideous looking, and scary. He's walking along and he tells the beadle that he has decided to marry his ward, who is a dainty little 16-year-old who he keeps locked up in her room. He stops and says, "Funny, but when I offered myself to her, she showed a certain--reluctance." And he gets this innocent, puzzled look on his face, like he truly cannot understand why this sweet little Johanna doesn't relish the idea of marrying him. THAT is funny. Three Stooges pulling each others' hair: Not funny.

"A fish swam into a bar and said, 'Ow!' " That's funny.

The cast of Seinfeld getting themselves into trouble because they are idiots: Not funny.

Then again, I also think Delmar whispering "We. Thought. You. Was a TOAD!" in "O, Brother! Where Art Thou?" is funny.

I guess the bottom line is that there are all kinds of humor. Of course, it also depends on what you are exposed to.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2009, 8:45 am

When you see things differently, it's likely that your sense of humor will be different. I might find things hilarious that an NT doesn't understand at all, or vice versa.

One thing I don't understand is informal and spontaneous joking between people. If a couple of my co-workers are teasing each other, it makes me very uncomfortable because I don't recognize it as joking. (Eventually someone will clue me in.) And because they know I'm so literal, they'll occasionally say something absurd that they *know* I'll take literally, just because my reactions are so predictably serious and apparently funny. At this point, I don't mind it when they "tweak" me (well, I don't mind it much...) because i know from long experience, and from being told, that it's somehow this weird NT sign of affection, and it is an attempt to include me, not isolate me.

Tautfortame
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Aug 2009, 8:02 pm

If I analyze the humor that I like the most it would be maybe everyday and character absurdity. A lot of satire particularly political satire seems too banal to me. There is a theme in situational comedies of the protagonist getting into humiliating situations and that always made me uncomfortable. Sometimes I find "Its always sunny in Philadelphia " evokes this reaction from me.

blastoff when I was younger I used to get uncomfortable with teasing also. I had a roommate who was socially uncomfortable as well but he was extremely intelligent, 6'8" and had a huge presence. In high school we would take him places and he would bully adults and other authority figures which was a thrill for us. He would give me a hard time as well. Then in college it became an embarrassment having him act that way. I knew he was better at teasing then I was so I never stood up for myself. I don't talk to him anymore.

Now I have grown older and more confident I can enjoy teasing because I have learned how and what is acceptable. I still find it very off putting when someone acts frivolous and I am not in the mood to contend with it. But I see it as a competition and it is validating under the right circumstances when i can hold my own or best them. I find it helpful if I conceptualize it as a game then look for formulas and strategies because it is a rare person who can be spontaneously very clever. I believe there is a knowable scaffolding under pinning most social interactions. Has anyone else given this much thought?

bluerose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2009, 1:39 pm

I think I have a normal sense of humor. I'm not a fan of any particular type of comedy. I don't usually joke around with ppl too much but I get most ppls jokes. I watch sitcoms like Friends and The Office and love them.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 4:48 pm

My sense of humor is so dry that people usually don't get it. Those few times that they do, they find my remark hilarious.

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2009, 7:48 pm

There's nothing like having a dry, British sense of humor when you're American. :sigh:

Heartcooksbrain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2009, 11:08 pm

I'm not a fan of sitcoms, and mad tv is pretty bad now, but I am a huge fan of stand up comedy, be it popular or underground... and I think that is why I have such a varied and "different" sense of humour than many. I don't actually understand what different sense of humour is. Mor less, I've seen all types of people with different senses of humour.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Aug 2009, 9:22 pm

I would like to tell you about my eccentric sense of humor---which could be the result of my Asperger's. But first, I do want to tell you that I usually do not get much humor out of sit-coms, funny movies, etc. Here it goes:

My wife and I had just had new carpeting installed in our house the day before when a sweeper salesman came to our door. He asked if he could demonstrate his incredible Kirby sweeper. Instead of saying "No" and that we had brand new carpet, I said, "Yes, I would be happy to see it." :twisted:. He put on the tissue paper at the end of the sweeper to show us how dirty our carpet was going to be. And guess what? His tissue paper revealed nothing. He was dismayed, baffled, stunned. He asked to see what kind of sweeper we had. I pulled an old beat up Hoover out of the closet that cost a fraction of the one he was showing us. I never did tell him we had new carpet :lol:.

At a Ripley's Believe It or Not museum in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, they had on the outside of the building a crack/hole in the wall next to the ticket purchase window. When you looked in the hole, there was a hologram of a dollar bill. People would put their hand in and pull out nothing of course. But...now I was going to have fun. As people watched me look into the hole, they prepared to laugh as I grabbed at nothing...but...I had palmed a dollar bill in my hand...and presto...I pulled out a dollar bill. You should have seen their faces :P.

A telemarketer called once and asked to speak to the lady of the house. Well, I am the man of the house and I have a deep voice, and I replied, "Speaking." The telemarketer said, "I need to speak to the lady of the house." And again I said, "Speaking." Well...the sales pitch lasted very briefly :lol:.

And here is a joke I made up. My wife arrived back from the grocery store, and with her arms filled to overflowing with grocery sacks, she began clearing her throat repeatedly and making interesting gestures toward me with her arms which were weighted down with the grocery sacks. Looking at her, and listening to her clearing her throat, I tried to figure out what she wanted. Well, I finally figured it out, I got her a cough drop.

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2009, 7:10 pm

haha, glider18. That was a YMBAAI.

Wry and ironic are probably the best words for my humor. I often say things with multiple meanings, and sometimes people think I'm sarcastic, but I'm not. I always mean them in all the direct meanings, never the opposite. Lots of situational juxtaposition. Lots of understatement.

I had the first rugby practice of the season last night, and people were talking about their summers. I said I had a lot going on this summer and pointed to my head (I 'came out' as aspie to them last week), and said I'd been pretty lazy, "but I went for a walk with Brian the other day". This caused Brian to sputter out a description of the 15 mile Death March I'd taken him on up White Mountain to 14,246'.

I tend to laugh at odd things and not find standard humor at all funny. Sitcoms are pure heck. Brine shrimp and alkali flies are hilarious. I guess you had to have been there.

I gave an award to our team captain after a tournament in Ireland. He looks a little like a leprechaun, and I explained that "in tradition Irish mythology the leprechaun was the ill-tempered fairy that repaired the other fairies' shoes", so I gave him a broken rugby boot that we had all signed. People thought that was funny. There are 6 jokes in it. Maybe more cuz sometimes I don't get my own jokes. I had to edit my post because I forgot part of it.

-The Madness of King George

SingInSilence
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2009, 10:50 pm

I'm one of those North Americans with a very British sense of humour, but luckily my friends are very similar to me in that regard. But I also make a lot of jokes that people don't pick up on, laugh at things other people don't find funny, and don't laugh at things that were supposed to be jokes. I'm pretty sure most people just assume I have a very highbrow sense of humour and that I'm being a humour snob.