Who here grew up feeling like Forrest Gump?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who Do You Relate To?
Poll ended at 01 Feb 2006, 11:20 am
Forrest Gump 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Forrest Gump 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Forrest's best friend, Bubba 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Forrest's best friend, Bubba 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Rain Man 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Rain Man 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
John Nash 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
John Nash 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
A mixture of these 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
A mixture of these 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 32

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 11:20 am

I love Forrest Gump; mainly because he overcame his obstacles through his ignorance of them. When I saw that movie I cried because Forrest embodied the way in which I experienced the world as a kid. I was quiet, obedient and observant and clueless about people. I was intelligent but I don't think that it helped me much relationally.

So, do you relate to Forrest Gump, Rain Man, or John Nash from A Beautiful Mind? (or none of the above?)

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 11:39 am

None of the above.

My only learning problems were a failure to be interested in what I was supposed to be studying and being consumed in my areas of interest (drama and musicals, reading the encyclopedia making all kinds of cross-references). It was never a lower level of cognition, like Forrest Gump.

I saw the movie too long ago to remember who Bubba was.

I found John Nash, at least as he was depicted in the film, to be really obnoxious. I hope I wasn't like that, although, given how few people I was able to get along wiht, I may well have been.

Again, I never had the limited learning capacities of a Rainman.

My seventeen year old son (both my kids have autism), has some Rainman to him.

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2006, 11:51 am

Hi, I was just thinking about Forrest Gump the other day....I loved that movie!! ! I usually only prefer old classics, but Tom Hanks is one of the finest..Anyways, I always thought of my daughter,who is autistic, to be so much like him. The way serendipity enters her life is amazing. And yes, the constant reminder, 'don't do anything stupid", was always something that entered my mind..It was like walking on eggshells.. So yes, indeed, Forrest Gump is a close image of how myself and my daughter are, we still see the pure, innocent sides of others, are vulnerable , shaken down, but still perservere and hold heads up high..That movie has made me cry more than anyother movie, by the way..Thanks for your topic, it was a good chance to explain things.Peace....

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 12:49 pm

The only person I hated more in that movie then FG was the girl that entered and exited his life over and over...

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 1:39 pm

joku_muko wrote:
The only person I hated more in that movie then FG was the girl that entered and exited his life over and over...
Agreed.

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 7:06 pm

Forrest
- the leg braces
= Papillon :wink:

Lit and joku, I second that one about that girl. I too had a gf like that :wink:

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 11:38 pm

When really depressed, I am a lot like Rain Man.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 12:00 am

My life isn't as interesting as Forrest's

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 3:32 pm

I voted John Nash, because he's a real person and I relate to real Aspieish people better than fictional ones. I was/am too high functioning to relate to the other choices anyhow. I was socially naive as a kid, but perpetually frustrated by being more intellectually advanced than my peers. I even had a breakdown with psychotic episodes and have wasted many days frought over how my mental health has impaired my intellectual abilitites. Of course, I've yet to wina Nobel, but all in good time. :P

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 3:44 pm

I love the John Nash story and have watched the movie over and over. The most amazing part is the fact that he was so logical and brilliant that he was able to understand that his mind was playing tricks on him. The very nature of schizophrenia is the inability to distinguish between reality and fantasy. This makes him a real genius and an overcomer.
The second best thing about this movie is that his wife believed in him and stuck with him (off and on) throughout his life. That's true love.
I used to hear "things" when I was younger (voices, sounds) and thought that maybe I was going nuts (my natural mother is schizo). I had to tell myself, "There's nothing there. You're just imagining things." Looking back, I believe it was my oversensitivity to noise and I heard snatches of conversations going on in other rooms. The voices never told me what to do, either so I thought I was pretty safe in assuming that I wasn't crazy!

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 7:12 pm

I love a beautiful mind too but a lot of cases of schizophrenia the people are sort of aware that something is wrong, and it is usually only advanced cases of paranoid schizophrenia that they are so consumed by their delusions that they refuse to consider alternatives. But rather i respect john nash from that movie because it wasnt that he realized they were hallucinations and therefore beat it, but he figured out he needed to give up his delusional life(a thing he gained considerable pride and comfort from) to be with his love and made that sacrifice. (He did acknowledge later that they were delusions but i think he did that only to satisfy them.)

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 8:21 pm

Nomaken wrote:
But rather i respect john nash from that movie because it wasnt that he realized they were hallucinations and therefore beat it, but he figured out he needed to give up his delusional life(a thing he gained considerable pride and comfort from) to be with his love and made that sacrifice.

Excellent observation. (And info. on schizophrenia)

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2006, 10:40 pm

Who are those people?

I've only really heard of forest gump and know nothing bout him or the otehr characters really.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 5:46 pm

hale_bopp wrote-
Who are those people?

I've only really heard of forest gump and know nothing bout him or the otehr characters really.

A Beatiful Mind is a movie starring Russel Crowe about a brilliant mathematician who struggled with social situations. He became schizophrenic during his college days and with the help of his wife, overcame it. This movie is several years old but is definately a must see.

Rain Man is an older movie starring Dustin Hoffman as an autistic savant, and Tom Cruise as his insensitive, shallow brother. The relationship grows and changes throughout the movie with the "normal" brother learning alot from his autistic, older brother.

PatBoards
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jan 2006, 5:10 am

That scene where Rainman is upset because he isn't wearing Kmart underwear is me. I am doing alot better but there was a time when I was really upset if I did not use the exact same cereal bowl every day and even now. I used to only wear one kind of white socks but now I have learned to wear black socks with black pants. I feel alittle uncomfortable, but I've learned other people think it looks better.

There's another part where the smoke alarm goes off and Rainman panics. I am like that if anything unexpected happens I get so upset mentally that I don't know what to do. I am too overwhelmed to make a decision. I don't bang my head against anything but I do very overwhelmed if things don't go the way I expect them to.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2006, 7:20 am

Rather than doing "Who's On First?", I sing songs to myself. :P