Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

gs56ca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2009, 4:13 pm

Anyone here like the funk and soul music. THat is New Birth, The Isley Brothers, Parliament/Funkadelic, Curtis Mayfield, Ohio Players, Sly and the Family Stone, Isaac Hayes, Jimmy Castor Bunch, Keziah Jones, Jamiroquai, Me'shell Ndegeocello, Fishbone, and a whole lot more. Anyone here like those drums, those horns, the syncopation, the rhythmic guitars. What I like about this genre is that it's still evident today within hiphop samples. If you listen to hiphop songs, and follow their samples, you'll see alot of it is from the 70s. Everyone knows and I know, but that surprises me. For a while I've been listening to hiphop thinking that the producer did everything. Now I realize, that they copy and paste, and mix it up.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 4:14 pm

I like electrofunk and a little of the original funk. *shrug*

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 4:38 pm

Ow! I can't stand myself! :afro:

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 6:12 pm

Yes, I need the funk! :thumright::skull::thumleft: All those elements of it that you mentioned.

Parliament/Funkadelic, Curtis Mayfield, Ohio Players, Sly and the Family Stone, Isley Bros, Issac Hayes, and James Brown. I like Fishbone, when it's funk they're intending to play (I'm not really a ska fan). I dig some of the New Orleans funk (The Meters) too.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Aug 2009, 12:52 am

I'm Rick James!

The former things have passed away."

gs56ca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2009, 11:46 pm

kxmode wrote:
I'm Rick James!

RIck James B**ch

gs56ca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2009, 11:49 pm

Flismflop wrote:
Yes, I need the funk! :thumright::skull::thumleft: All those elements of it that you mentioned.

Parliament/Funkadelic, Curtis Mayfield, Ohio Players, Sly and the Family Stone, Isley Bros, Issac Hayes, and James Brown. I like Fishbone, when it's funk they're intending to play (I'm not really a ska fan). I dig some of the New Orleans funk (The Meters) too.

yeah man i like their funky vibe, and their ska adds color to it. They are still playing these days, popular in France now.

gs56ca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2009, 11:52 pm

dustygroove.com got all the funk you want, afrofunk, acid-jazz, and deep funk

Heartcooksbrain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2009, 2:04 am

oh yeah. I'm funky for some funk, especially G-funk... I sure do miss the time it was popular.

riverso
Raven
Raven

12 Oct 2011, 9:14 pm

Lady be my dawg and i'll be your tree... and you can pee on me.
Uh Dr. Funkenstein here.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-dRRbIWRQc[/youtube]

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 11:06 pm

I listen to funk music, but lately my favorite kinda music like that is actually jazz fusion. I especially like Japanese jazz fusion artist Toshiki Kadomatsu. Jazz fusion is excellent if you want just pure funk. One thing with me, my American funk is sorta limited to just random songs by random people, so I'll listen to one, let's say, Earth Wind and Fire song here, a few Zapp and Roger songs there, like that. I've not gotten any albums of any older funk or R&B artist. Really, for me, I find stuff like, from the 80s, the R&B right before New Jack Swing to be the best "funk" music for me. You know, stuff like The System, Al B Sure, etc, basically the 80s music made after the 70s "funk." Basically, Chaka Khan - I Feel For You, like a perfect song of that era for me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOcP0UEq8KI[/youtube]
pretty pure funk there, not quite as jazzy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s30HaZ7r9vw[/youtube]
Slightly more jazzy, but still very funky.

Japan was really brilliant at making funk music, and the sort of derivative, jazz fusion is still reasonably popular there. My favorite jazz fusion artist, Toshiki Kadomatsu, has been consistently coming out with albums every couple years or less. Also, outside of Japan, I like Shakatak a good deal. Shakatak is significantly jazzier than Toshiki, though, Toshiki's stuff, especially his earlier stuff, is very very funky, and average people would be hard pressed to say it's jazz.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 1:18 am

gs56ca wrote:
Anyone here like the funk and soul music. THat is New Birth, The Isley Brothers, Parliament/Funkadelic, Curtis Mayfield, Ohio Players, Sly and the Family Stone, Isaac Hayes, Jimmy Castor Bunch, Keziah Jones, Jamiroquai, Me'shell Ndegeocello, Fishbone, and a whole lot more. Anyone here like those drums, those horns, the syncopation, the rhythmic guitars. What I like about this genre is that it's still evident today within hiphop samples. If you listen to hiphop songs, and follow their samples, you'll see alot of it is from the 70s. Everyone knows and I know, but that surprises me. For a while I've been listening to hiphop thinking that the producer did everything. Now I realize, that they copy and paste, and mix it up.

None of the bands you mentioned are familiar to me but I know some cool funky musicians, such as Herbie Hancock, Stevie Wonder, etc.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 10:13 am

WEeeeee want the funk!

Gotta have that funk!

Cochise
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Oct 2011, 9:37 am

Check out Wax Poetics - their magazine has great articles about old school funk and the website has free downloads.

http://www.waxpoetics.com/

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 4:11 pm

gs56ca wrote:

I am very much into funk and soul music from the seventies like George Clinton and the Parliament, Isley Brothers, Curtis is one of my favorites, Sly and the Family Stone, Nina Simone, Earth Wind and Fire etcetera.
I like more recent stuff as well since I have a broad taste in music. Like James Blake, Warpaint, Underworld, Muse etcetera. ´
I also have a thing for violin- and cello music but other than that I don't listen to classical music very much.
Another passion of mine is Jazz. I'm not the biggest fan of popular Top 40 pop music, boring!

TellEmSteveDave
Toucan
Toucan

08 May 2012, 6:55 pm

yeah! I like James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic, Sly & The Family Stone, Marvin Gaye, Isaac Hayes, The Winstons, Stevie Wonder, Stax & Motown.

I got into funk & soul because I like hip-hop and dance music, the Funky Drummer & the Amen Break are probably the most widely used samples of all time.