Have a backup class to add the first week.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 3:32 pm

Sometimes, if you have a feeling a class is just not likely to pan out, you can go with your backup. And that way, you are also moving toward something. And you're not saying the other class is wrong for all time, you're just saying not for you, not this semester.

'May I sit in a couple of classes the beginning of this semester?' You can ask the professor (and keep it short, keep it simply). Or, you can just show up the first couple of classes before the add deadline. I think either way is perfectly fine. And either way, you have scouted out this backup class, you have seen what they've covered, and you can seamlessly make the move.

Check when is the last day you can add a class. This might be a good card for you to play.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 11:32 pm

That's a great suggestion, I had this horrible math teacher, and if only I had let myself switch to a different math course, it would have been so much better. I knew about the ability to switch classes on the last day it was possible, and I could have done it. I luckily got out of that course with a 78% which was pretty darn good for the circumstances I was in. If you have a bad feeling about of a course, it's better to switch out then to suffer needlessly.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 5:51 pm

And I'm also thinking of even more of a lateral move, say from a political science class to an anthropology class.

And primarily trust your gut.

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2009, 9:30 pm

I always do that. Take one or two classes extra and then just drop the worst one(s).

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 2:36 pm

When I last had a full semester Fall '02 (large public university in the United States):

You could add a class within the first 5 course days.

You could drop a class within the first 12 course days (with a refund, and with nothing showing up on your transcript).

Is it still this way?