Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Anonymous1234
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Aug 2009, 6:27 pm

I've began to wear a rubber band on my wrist, and whenever I talk, be it necessary or not, I snap it on my skin as hard as I can. I don't want to talk in school anymore. It brings nothing but hardships to me, since I always say something stupid.. and I also have a stutter. Meh.

Is this healthy? If it isn't, do the pros outweigh the cons?

Last edited by Anonymous1234 on 25 Aug 2009, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2009, 6:39 pm

I'm not sure. I know people that self injure are encouraged to try to the rubber band thing as an alternative, so I'm going to assume it's harmless. But the fact that you have to do it isn't good.

Anonymous1234
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Aug 2009, 6:52 pm

buryuntime wrote:
I'm not sure. I know people that self injure are encouraged to try to the rubber band thing as an alternative, so I'm going to assume it's harmless. But the fact that you have to do it isn't good.

I meant the part about not talking... but yeah, I don't think rubber bands cause any lasting damage.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2009, 8:39 pm

I don't know if it's healthy, but not talking is not effective. Learning how to speak effectively will enable you to control more, interact more, achieve more. Being dumb (not speaking) is generally assumed to also be stupid in the dominant culture. And that's not a good thing.

There are plenty of therapies available to learn how not only to control the stutter, but to organize effective speech. Youshould definitely check into speech therapy and push them to help you beyond the stutter.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 3:51 pm

If you parents can afford it and are willing to pay for it, consider hiring a private speech therapist. In my experience, they tend to be better than the school speech therapists. A lot does depend, however, on the luck of the draw.

If you can, just be matter-of-fact about having a stutter. 'Yeah, I have a stutter, so what' that kind of approach. And I know that's easier said than done.

And go lateral! Learn trumpet, flute, clarinet, something like that. Both for fun and also to broaden your skill set.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 6:15 pm

I dont think thats a good idea. You have to at least develop basic communication skills in order to survive and not be dependent in the future. With no talking, you can easily forget how to communicate. I was mute for 9 years, trying to talk again was hard. While you wouldnt have to deal with communication with people, being able to communicate is fairly important.