Is transforming humans into animals possible via genetic eng

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 8:29 pm

Did anyone even read my link? It is already being done. No conjecture or speculation needed.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 8:41 pm

claire333 wrote:
Very little information is available on this subject, but one might easily imagine why.

HUMAN-NONHUMAN CHIMERAS: A REGULATORY PROPOSAL ON THE BLURRING OF SPECIES LINES

Are there any human-nonhuman hybrids capable of reproduction? If not, what is the problem? A non-eukoryte bacterium with a human gene inserted in the plasmid is hardly a chimera.

In addition to which humans have fifty percent of their genome in common with potatoes.

Every living thing on the earth is made of the same stuff, but in slightly different combinations.

ruveyn

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 9:00 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Are there any human-nonhuman hybrids capable of reproduction?
I have no idea. Like I said, it is not the easiest subject to find information...except for discussion of biomedical ethics on a metaphysical level. I once read somewhere this has been done with pigs for a while in order to produce better insulin...but I do not know if they can reproduce or even if that information is crap. It is just not talked about and the scientists do not seem to be sharing their results with the general population. I am not so silly as to question why.

ruveyn wrote:
Every living thing on the earth is made of the same stuff, but in slightly different combinations.
True, but humans did not create those combinations. That is what I liked about the link I posted; it looked at the issue from a variety of issue perspectives and examined for what it currently is rather than might be. I have mixed feelings on the subject, myself.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 6:47 am

claire333 wrote:
True, but humans did not create those combinations. That is what I liked about the link I posted; it looked at the issue from a variety of issue perspectives and examined for what it currently is rather than might be. I have mixed feelings on the subject, myself.

See the closing paragraph of Darwin's -Origin of Species-

"There is a grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning and most wonderful have been, and are being evolved."

ruveyn

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 2:02 pm

Do you view humans bioengineering human-nonhuman species combinations as part of the evolutionary process?

Werefox256
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Dec 2016, 12:14 am

Well it can be almost impossible to become animal like, but if a person or scientist were to create a serum to alter our DNA system that will become a big deal to society. Plus it would take almost hundreds of scientist to think of something that could change our DNA patterns and to give us the ability to become an animal of one choice. Just think that if someone figured out something to change our DNA patterns the whole world will change its image. It all comes down to the person or scientist who figured something out.

~Werefox256~

By the way I am new here.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 3:53 am

No, this is going too far out of the general human DNA, even if we were to use gene-editing techniques on a human zygote (an embryo of up to a week old), it will no longer implant in the womb, we would have to implant the zygote in the respective animal, in which case it would stop being a modified human and start being a modified animal (using the colloquial meanings indeed).

It would be possible to introduce selected animal abilities though, like cats' eyes or bat ears, and returning mammalian or primate features (like full-body fur) is really easy, and happens by itself from time to time.

With the current abilities and understanding of genetic engineering, we are not able to turn someone into "spiderman"; but we could build "daredevil"

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 7:13 pm

RichardBB wrote:
Quote:
Q: brittany price Ben logan: is spider man in any way possible?
A: Eric Green, M.D., Ph.D.: Unlikely, in reality. The biology is a bit too complicated to really make a super-hero through a spider bite. BUT, the basic notion of introducing small amounts of new DNA into humans is possible and indeed is used to treat some diseases. This area is known as 'gene therapy.'

Q: Booker T. Washington MS, Baltimore, MD: In the future, will it be possible for HUMANS to transform into other animals via genetic engineering?
A: Eric Green, M.D., Ph.D.: Unlikely. Minor changes to our genome-- maybe, such as with gene therapy. Major changes to transform us into other animals-- almost certainly not, biology is too complicated.

So what do you think? Will it be possible in the future for humans to transform into animals via genetic engineering?

Humans -are- animals. We are in the primate order, subclass hominid.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 7:36 pm

The question was dumb enough seven years ago. Reviving it now doesnt make it any less dumb.

Its dumb because its scientifically meaningless. Humans are a kind of animal (one among millions of species). Since we already are animals there is no transformation to be done.

The only way to phrase the question that begins to make any scientific sense is to ask "is it possible to turn any creature into a creature of another species via genetic engineering?".

"Sibling species" are creatures that come in different kinds but look more or less the same (like one kind of frog vs another kind of frog). The genetic distance between sibling species (like one kind of frog and another )is typically about one percent. So if you changed one percent of the genome of leopard frog into that of the genome of a green frog (for example) I suppose that for practical purpose you would have changed that leopard frog into a green frog. Chimps differ from humans by about 1.5 percent (basically they are our siblings) so I suppose that if changed 1.5 percent of a human zygote's genome into that of chimps you have turned a human egg into a chimp egg. You need to modify more if you wanted to change that human zygote into an organism that is farther from us than a sibling species.like that of a fish, or an oak tree. But in theory it could be done I suppose. Why you would do it I dont know.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 8:32 pm

whitetiger wrote:
Seeing as how the embryo begins like a fish, turns into a reptile, then a mammal and then a human, it could be possible to halt the process and produce another being, perhaps.

The human embryo does not start as a fish, or turn into a reptile....it's human the whole time. Do you mean it resembles fish and reptile as it's developing?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 8:43 pm

I think the only way it could be done is if humans could tap into how moths and butterflies go from caterpillars to winged insects. And create some way a human could undergo that process....but I don't think that is very likely not sure humans have the capacity to survive that. Also we'd still be human but possibly look more like something else, like how hummingbird moths imitate the appearance of humming birds.

Rezivan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2016, 4:19 pm

Well, since we are already animals, there is no need for that :P

I quess that with enough genetical modifications, we could turn human into something that can be considered "non-human".

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 4:23 pm

you don't need genetic engineering.

all you need to turn a human into a non human animal is to talk about politics, or religion.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.