Developer

30 Jan 2006, 11:19 am

Interesting... an open letter:

http://sergesblog.blogspot.com/2006/01/ ... to-dr.html

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 11:55 am

Ah, you take away all my fun! I received the letter from one of my son's school's parent-teacher group this morning. I was going to post it later.

Anyway, I think it's excellent. I think it hits the issues that I saw while watching the program and were later discussed here "right on the head."

Boy. As an Aspie (non-diagnosed, but disturbingly obvious) and as the parent of two autistic children (one low functioning and both diagnosed), I took exception both to the show in general and to those two idiot parents. When I compare what my wife and I work with (and what so many other parents with LFA kids we know deal with), and I look at these two characters and their self-righteousness, victimizing attitudes, and the patronizing response they received, it really gets me going.

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2006, 2:24 pm

Litguy wrote:
Anyway, I think it's excellent. I think it hits the issues that I saw while watching the program and were later discussed here "right on the head."...I took exception both to the show in general and to those two idiot parents. When I compare what my wife and I work with (and what so many other parents with LFA kids we know deal with), and I look at these two characters and their self-righteousness, victimizing attitudes, and the patronizing response they received, it really gets me going.

I think it was very disengenuous of Dr. Phil to advertise it as a show about AS at all. The child in question has been stated to have a mood disorder. After watching the show I told my husband I thought the boy looked more bp than AS. (I have a child with bp also).

I've never been a fan of Dr. Phil's. I found his conversation with the parents, where he spent more time worried about mom and dad getting alone time then about gettting help for their child, very disturbing.

All that yelling the parents were doing? That alone would drive my poor son with AS nuts. I kept thinking "where is the adult here"?

Not a very representative show at all. Not even an *effort* at showing the broad spectrum it covers. Just going for the *extreme* - might as well have been watching Springer.

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 4:19 pm

aspiesmom1 wrote:
might as well have been watching Springer.
Nah. Spring's show is funny. :)

Liorda
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2006, 5:31 pm

Looks like the letter that I found on neurodiversity http://neurodiversity.com/weblog/articl ... hil-mcgraw that was sent to Dr Phil show.
I posted it here.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/asperger.htm ... 6&start=45

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 7:45 pm

Liorda wrote:
Looks like the letter that I found on neurodiversity http://neurodiversity.com/weblog/articl ... hil-mcgraw that was sent to Dr Phil show.
I posted it here.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/asperger.htm ... 6&start=45
Yes. That's the version I got this morning from the parent/teacher group. Clearly the same letter.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 8:14 pm

Folks:

I happen to be the parent of an Aspi and one myself, I happen to understand the outrage. I also happen to understand why Dr. Phil did things the way he did them. (not that I approve). Now the question is, who is mad enough to do something about it?

I'm just trying to get a feel for those who are ticked off enough to work on a solution. I don't watch the posts much, so you can pm me through the site or you can drop me a note at

[email protected]

I'm not talking revolution here, I'm talking activisim.

Best to all
Beentheredonethat
Rafe Serebreny

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 8:26 pm

Its not funny. The noise when someone swears is annoying.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2006, 2:25 am

It is to bad a person like Dr Phil just does not really understand it at all enough to make it a positive than to dwell on the negative instead.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 5:58 pm

Well lets get to the balls of the matter here

In the big wide world of psychology, Dr phil is not taken seriously at all. A show like he does relishes on contraversy to attract a viewing audience, this was one such episode. The best thing the americain asperger community could of done was to ignore him and not react and at any given opportunity humilate and poke fun at him. Here in the UK I think we just burst out laughing at his pathetic attempt to attract contraversy.

ELLCIM
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 8:57 pm

My dad calls him "Dr. Phill-of-S*it". :lol:

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 9:19 pm

ELLCIM wrote:
My dad calls him "Dr. Phill-of-S*it". :lol:

Accurate name.

ELLCIM
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 9:25 pm

I posted this as a comment on the blog, but I'll repeat it here. The blog article is excellent, but it unfairly labels Dr. Phil as a CBS daytime show. This program is syndicated and is seen on various television stations across the United States and Canada. Michael Corley, the blog poster, is from New York so he would've seen Dr. Phil on WCBS-TV, which is the CBS affiliate in New York, thus he would assume that it must be a CBS program. In my case, I see Dr. Phil from Detroit on WDIV, an NBC affiliate. Now, there are occasional Dr. Phil specials in primetime, which are aired on the CBS network.

My point is, don't go boycotting CBS over this, because they have nothing to do directly with it.

Last edited by ELLCIM on 18 Feb 2006, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 9:27 pm

Michael Carley wrote:
[F]rom a medical standpoint AS is not a “mental illness” or a “disease” as the show implied. Mental illness is different than a neurological condition, and for something to be a disease it has to be something acquired - not something you’re born with. Most of the enlightened world knows that autism is at its root, genetic, and therefore by definition it is not something that can be considered “curable” or a “disease.”

Carley is quite wrong in making the artificial but comforting distinction between mental illness and neurological condition. Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, considered to be the two most serious mental health disorders, seem to have notably differential neurodevelopmental trajectories from the norm. They also may have quite strong genetic loading. Genetic origin hardly makes a condition any less of a disease (e.g., Parkinson's disease).