Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 9:41 am

What BS, humans are treated much better than animals.

Try working at an animal shelter and you'll see what I mean. Animals are not only abused in most shelters but 5 million of them each year in the U.S. are put down just b/c some moron of a human won't adopt them. Now let's compare that case to humans....

If we're talking worldwide of humans starving, I agree but animal charities doesn't even begin to cover the costs that humans spend on themselves.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 9:47 am

MissConstrue wrote:

Try working at an animal shelter and you'll see what I mean. Animals are not only abused in most shelters but 5 million of them each year in the U.S. are put down just b/c some moron of a human won't adopt them. Now let's compare that case to humans....

If we're talking worldwide of humans starving, I agree but animal charities doesn't even begin to cover the costs that humans spend on themselves.

The obvious solution, of course, is to slaughter the unwanted pets and feed them to the starving humans. They get killed anyway. Might as well put the meat to good use.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 10:06 am

Sand wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

The obvious solution, of course, is to slaughter the unwanted pets and feed them to the starving humans. They get killed anyway. Might as well put the meat to good use.

While we're at it, might as well feed them executed prisoners and euthanize the elderly who are of no use to society then send them in packages.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 10:11 am

skafather84 wrote:
What a waste of good money that could be spent on humans and educating and feeding humans instead.

some of us don't consider humans to be in any way, shape, or form a higher priority or of higher value than "other animals". and in some cases, lower. we consider the investment better spent on other species.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 10:11 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Sand wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

While we're at it, might as well feed them executed prisoners and euthanize the elderly who are of no use to society then send them in packages.

It's a sensible suggestion but I'd rather eat a young dog than an old man. Although Catholics have been feasting on Christ for centuries it might be difficult to get other religious factions to eat people. Dogs and cats, on the other hand, are traditional food in many parts of the world. Many people would probably get some satisfaction from eating a real hot dog.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 10:14 am

Sand wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Sand wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

It's a sensible suggestion but I'd rather eat a young dog than an old man. Although Catholics have been feasting on Christ for centuries it might be difficult to get other religious factions to eat people. Dogs and cats, on the other hand, are traditional food in many parts of the world. Many people would probably get some satisfaction from eating a real hot dog.

Ah but waste not want not..... :shameonyou:

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 10:17 am

Sand wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
What a waste of good money that could be spent on humans and educating and feeding humans instead.

Sure. And what about the Olympics and comic books and cosmetics and drag racing and liquor and dumb sitcoms. Think of all that money going to education and food for the underprivileged and medicines for the sick.

I'm talking specifically from the charity coffers. Though, really, it shouldn't be a charity so much as a hobby like comics.

"Donate to my animal hobby"

NOT

"Donate to my animal charity"

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 10:42 am

Oregon wrote:

I know that there are children in many countries that do not have the food or medical attention they need. But this is caused by greed and corruption, not by lack of resources. We live in a world of abundance; greed is what needs to be cured.

How many of the unfortunate waifs have you fed?

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 10:57 am

Sand wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Sand wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

Let's not forget that there are physiological side effects to cannibalism as well.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 11:10 am

skafather84 wrote:

erggh.

i have wild animals as my closest friends. i have kookaburras that come and "laugh" on my railing during the day. i hand feed feed them slivers of blade steak and they are so happy and free. i have possums that i pick up and pet and feed at night. they like me to massage them. they are wild and they want my affection. wow that means a lot to me.

there are many more animals i care for too that come to my house every day.

they are all so happy and innocent. they have not a malicious thought in their heads. none of them ever told a lie or pretended anything.

i live at the end of a long street that is mostly undeveloped, and i have bushland all around me. but when i drive to the shops, i see old houses with many trees around them being demolished. they have been bought by developers. the trees are also lopped and then the land is totally bare and they build a block of flats on it.

they make a profit and move on. they do not give a piece of excreta about what lives they killed or displaced. the lives that deserved to live just as much as a human does.

i have animals in my back yard that are innocent and good company, and i can hear in the distance the machinery of humanity eating it's greedy way through the streets ever closer to my house. one day i may have a 10 storey block of units next to me and i will be in their shadow and have to play my music softly and dress appropriately to go into the back yard.

i dislike the proliferance of greedy smart humans who develop the world around me. they are a terror to the animal world. and they are a terror to me.
they will eat me up when they get to next door because i am naive and i can not hold on to my money and security when those people move into my world.

why would i consider a human more valuable than animals ? (humans are animals as well i know)

i do not see any beauty in humanity's complete arrogance and conceited belief that all non human life is subordinate and less "valuable to god".

i bet there are no animals in hell.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 11:12 am

b9 wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

erggh.

i have wild animals as my closest friends. i have kookaburras that come and "laugh" on my railing during the day. i hand feed feed them slivers of blade steak and they are so happy and free. i have possums that i pick up and pet and feed at night. they like me to massage them. they are wild and they want my affection. wow that means a lot to me.

they are all so happy and innocent. they have not a malicious thought in their heads. none of them ever told a lie or pretended anything.

i live at the end of a long street that is mostly undeveloped, and i have bushland all around me. but when i drive to the shops, i see old houses with many trees around them being demolished. they have been bought by developers. the trees are also lopped and then the land is totally bare and they build a block of flats on it.

they make a profit and move on. they do not give a piece of excreta about what lives they killed or displaced. the lives that deserved to live just as much as a human does.

i have animals in my back yard that are innocent and good company, and i can hear in the distance the machinery of humanity eating it's greedy way through the streets ever closer to my house. one day i may have a 10 storey block of units next to me and i will be in their shadow and have to play my music softly and dress appropriately to go into the back yard.

i dislike the proliferance of greedy smart humans who develop the world around me. they are a terror to the animal world. and they are a terror to me.
they will eat me up when they get to next door because i am naive and i can not hold on to my money and security when those people move into my world.

why would i consider a human more valuable than animals ? (humans are animals as well i know)

i do not see any beauty in humanity's complete arrogance and conceited belief that all non human life is subordinate and less "valuable to god".

You're living a delusion of personification of animals. How lonely and isolated (from humans) are you? :(

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 11:23 am

skafather84 wrote:
b9 wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

erggh.

You're living a delusion of personification of animals. How lonely and isolated (from humans) are you? :(

how isolated from the nature of life are you?
if you can not see the consciousness in animals then you are blind in a way i am not.
i believe a moth struggling in a spider web is having a hard time and is distressed. i believe it's distress is as significant as my distress if i was caught in a giant web i could not break free from.

i can not stand and watch it and i will always find a way to extricate a moth from a web if i can. they seem to panic so hard and i imagine the terror they feel so i am compelled to free them.

you would not even register the event in your jaded elite mind.

i answered the topic title but i do not wish to be drawn into discussion with you so there you go.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 11:35 am

b9 wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
b9 wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

erggh.

if you can not see the consciousness in animals then you are blind in a way i am not.
i believe a moth struggling in a spider web is having a hard time and is distressed. i believe it's distress is as significant as my distress if i was caught in a giant web i could not break free from.

i can not stand and watch it and i will always find a way to extricate a moth from a web if i can. they seem to panic so hard and i imagine the terror they feel so i am compelled to free them.

i answered the topic title but i do not wish to be drawn into discussion with you so there you go.

I agree with you pretty much as far as animals go but don't sanctify them. When a moth is freed a spider starves. Life is tough.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 11:40 am

b9 wrote:

Not very. When I want nature I go either down to the bayous or up to near-coast Mississippi.

I'm just not some Dr. Dolittle hippie about it.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 12:00 pm

Sand wrote:
b9 wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
b9 wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

erggh.

I agree with you pretty much as far as animals go but don't sanctify them. When a moth is freed a spider starves. Life is tough.

i agree about letting the spiders catch their food. most of the moths and insects i free are from uninhabited old webs.

if i have a little spider in the web then i may hurry out of the room and let nature take it's course because i also want the spiders to get their food. i just do not want to see it.

i am talking about flittering little insects that are stuck in old webs in the laundry.

one day when i was in the laundry, i noticed a spider web mess that had fallen down on a bench, and it contained a "dead" dragon fly. i thought " what a serious way to die" when i saw it.

4 days later, i was in the laundry again, and i looked at the spider web ball of mess and i went to pick it up to put it in the garbage.
i noticed the dragon fly moved as i picked up the web ball.

it was alive still and it had been locked tight in the web on it's back for 4 days and i felt very sorry for whatever was going through that tiny little brain.

so i went and found 2 needles and i carefully unwound the web from the dragon fly. after about 30 minutes, i had it free of all web without damaging it.
it was almost dead and i got my water pistol and squeezed one droplet of water on to the bench next to where it lay, and i pushed it toward the drop of water and it sucked the water up because the droplet disappeared.

then it became more animated and i got it onto a paper towel and i took it out of the laundry and laid the towel on my back verandah.
after about 5 minutes, it regained its strength and flew off into the blue sky. it must have been elated.

i was so happy about that, and i watched it fly away. but after 2 seconds, a blasted kurrawong (an australian bird) intercepted the dragon flies trajectory and caught it and it disappeared.

what a microcosmic drama that could not excite even one neuron of a macroscopic thinker.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 12:11 pm

skafather84 wrote:
b9 wrote:

Not very.

but just a bit huh?

skafather84 wrote:
When I want nature I go either down to the bayous or up to near-coast Mississippi.

when i want nature i just go outside. i live where i want to live and you live where you want to live. i live far from people where wild animals thrive and you live i suppose in a human crush of congested suburbia. (i assume that because you say you have to travel to get to nature).
i could not live where people are all around andhave replaced nature.

skafather84 wrote:
I'm just not some Dr. Dolittle hippie about it.

that is a funny retort. it is imaginative.
it does not describe me, but it is none the less well said (if you coined it).