Relationship Development Intervention (RDI)

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2005, 7:13 am

Is there any sort of similar therapy for adults as a lot of us weren't diagnosed with autism until we were adolescents or adults so we didn't have any of these kinds of interventions.

I am not sure about the idea of saying we have autism disorders as having a "disorder" presumes there is something "wrong" that has to be "fixed". I'd prefer to think I have an autism "condition" rather than a "disorder".

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

25 Aug 2005, 1:28 pm

Pandora,

There is a book by Gutstein and Sheely called Relationship Development Intervention with Children, Adolescents and Adults, but I have not read it yet. I have the book called Relationship Development Intervention with Young Children and it has lots of fun things for parents to do with their children. I like it very much.

Aspen

Laureanne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Aug 2005, 7:18 pm

I have been using RDI with my 2 girls for almost a year now. There is much more eye contact. Socially they are also doing a bit better. My pediatrician uses it with her son and also see improvement.
I had done a lot of reading on it and it sounded worth the try. I am very glad I did. My 12 yrear ols successfully has 1 friend. This is so amazing and has made her so happy. Little steps and small changes are okay for me. They hopefully will lead to bigger ones.
Laure