Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 9:54 pm

Could Autism Spectrum disorders be defined like this?:

Autism Spectrum Disorders- Options (2 below)
1. an umbrella term for a group of neurological disorders or conditions, depending on severity where the affected individual lives in an extremified outer environment (or the reality all people live in on Earth due to extremes in sensory perception) and individual, separate internal environment within their own minds, causing a different perception of reality from the typical individual. Symptoms include...blah blah blah fill it in you know the rest b/c your living w/ it :roll:
2. an umbrella term for a group of neurological conditions, depending on the severity of the affected individual, where the individual has sensory perceptual issues causing them to live in an extremified environment where they struggle to process what is going on around them, especially when it comes to social behaviors, and their unique internal environments/minds from the typical individual heighten the life long edginess caused by the lack of the usually inborn knowledge of how to socially function, resulting in a separateness from typical individuals in how they can/do live and what they desire. Symptoms include... blah blah blah fill it in you know the rest b/c your living w/ it :roll:

This to confusing? I thought a simpler way of saying it would of been just saying something about the extremified outer and partially-totally isolated internal environment(s)

Is extremified a real word? :?
Tried to edit it based on suggestions I read below, they're in italics.

Last edited by Peko on 16 Sep 2009, 10:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 5:04 am

Peko wrote:

It is now.

ruveyn

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 5:37 am

Peko wrote:

Hmm, I guess it depends on how you define 'real word'. :P

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 10:06 am

Peko wrote:

Autism Spectrum Disorders- an umbrella term for a group of neurological disorder or conditions, depending on severity where the affected individual lives in an extremified outer environment (or the reality all people live in on Earth) and individual, separate internal environment within their own minds where they may be anywhere from slightly to totally disconnected from the outside world or reality. Symptoms include...blah blah blah fill it in you know the rest b/c your living w/ it :roll:

This to confusing? I thought a simpler way of saying it would of been just saying something about the extremified outer and partially-totally isolated internal environment(s)

I think that (excepting the "neurological") this seems more the Schizophrenia Spectrum.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 11:30 am

TPE2 wrote:
Peko wrote:

Autism Spectrum Disorders- an umbrella term for a group of neurological disorder or conditions, depending on severity where the affected individual lives in an extremified outer environment (or the reality all people live in on Earth) and individual, separate internal environment within their own minds where they may be anywhere from slightly to totally disconnected from the outside world or reality. Symptoms include...blah blah blah fill it in you know the rest b/c your living w/ it :roll:

I think that (excepting the "neurological") this seems more the Schizophrenia Spectrum.

Not totally getting how what I said sounds like the schizophrenia spectrum? My knowledge of schizophrenia is that its a mental illness where the person experiences auditory &/or visual hallucinations &/or delusions. I've read something about people w/ this being detached from the real world due to what they are imagining. But I don't know the technical definition for the Schizophrenia Spectrum myself. When I said ("extremified outer environment" I was trying to shorten explaining aspie/autie sensory issues in their connections to reality/probably not very clear :?) Part of the issue I've noticed w/ defining conditions Autism Spectrum is they seem to fall on both extremes (hyper, hypo &/or mixed) when it comes to sensory processing of their environment depending on the case. It's difficult to define something on two opposite or mixed extremes from normality if you get what I mean.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 12:31 pm

I don't think the definition should include somethign like "disconnected from normal reality", because that could get some people to believe we're psychotic. Some autistics may of course have psychotic symptoms or somehow "disconnect" from reality (eg. when in a meltdown).

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 1:57 pm

Peko wrote:
When I said ("extremified outer environment" I was trying to shorten explaining aspie/autie sensory issues in their connections to reality/probably not very clear :?) Part of the issue I've noticed w/ defining conditions Autism Spectrum is they seem to fall on both extremes (hyper, hypo &/or mixed) when it comes to sensory processing of their environment depending on the case. It's difficult to define something on two opposite or mixed extremes from normality if you get what I mean.

Oh, I had not understand in that way. Sorry.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 5:00 pm

Oh, I had not understand in that way. Sorry.[/quote]

That's fine :), I want to know how clear I am/not b/c I'm trying to find a way to explain autism (being autistic or having my/this condition) to NT's so the possibility of questions such as "What's that?" after an explanation of what autism is or "Does that mean you hit yourself?" are eliminated. I've gotten so many (what I consider to be) stupid questions in the past... and I'm not always happy w/ the definitions I've found before b/c NT's don't always seem to get it. Some do, some think I'm making it up, etc. :roll:

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 12:02 pm

Peko I think I know what you're trying to express but it is very hard. I was glad to see you write that because that is the way I always felt, although less so after antidepressants. It's something I think we can all understand even if we can't articulate it. It's the reason everyone "gets" the name of this forum. How would you describe the mental state of someone alone in a foreign country? That would be the word. You think?

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2009, 10:23 am

Aimless wrote:
Peko I think I know what you're trying to express but it is very hard. I was glad to see you write that because that is the way I always felt, although less so after antidepressants. It's something I think we can all understand even if we can't articulate it. It's the reason everyone "gets" the name of this forum. How would you describe the mental state of someone alone in a foreign country? That would be the word. You think?

I would probably describe that as being constantly on edge (edgy) due to not belonging with the majority of people in your area/country & b/c you are forced to conform to unknown &/or confusing standards in order to survive/be accepted.
p.s. I added a separate option & attempted to use plainer language to make it easier to understand.