Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 12:19 pm

Why do people (esp. those in authority) do this?

I don't understand this mindset at all. Do they do it on purpose? If not, why the hell does it happen?

Me and my friend were talking about this at lunchtime today, and we came to the conclusion that there's basically nothing you can do when you are being bullied that will not provoke criticism of some kind. If you retaliate, you're aggressive; if you tell a teacher, you're a grass; if you do nothing, you're a "willing victim". :roll:

y es como un semestre"

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 12:29 pm

A fourth proposal is missing in your poll. I would say "others".

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 12:29 pm

They respect bullies and those on top. That's the truth. They also don't want to disrupt the informal distributions of power that facilitate their work.

21 Sep 2009, 1:18 pm

I have also wondered this and thought up a few reasons:

They are stupid
They are just as bad as the bully
They are friends of the bully and friends tend to stick up for their own friends
You're older so they expect you to show a good example (that is if a bully is a few years younger than you or more)

And also, lot of people think bullying is part of life so therefore you have to get used to it and just walk away
They also think bullying is something that kids do so get used to it

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 1:52 pm

My experience....

Bullies sometimes even bully the boss.

Management types are also lazy.

So, if you are the victim and another is the bully, most times firing/blaming you is the easy solution. That the bully is wrong doesn't matter because 99 of the other 100 employees learn to put up with him. If you don't, then you are the odd man out. It's not right, but it plays to the economics of easy management.

Often, the victim is only really protected when it would be a larger liability to punish them than to defend them.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 2:20 pm

I remember this from when I was in school and these girls pushed me down the stairs, and we all got sent to the office and all got written up...

Rhapsody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Sep 2009, 11:27 pm

I remember in middle school I used to get beat up during English class. The girl sitting next to me used to like to hit and kick me (and this was eighth grade, she should have been over that sort of thing by then). The teacher never did anything about it, even though she obviously saw it because we were sitting in the front row. One time, during silent reading, the other girl kicked me out of my desk and I tumbled to the ground. I got yelled at and when I tried to explain that I’d just been kicked out of my desk I got yelled at more for talking during silent reading.

I know the reason the girl didn’t get into trouble was because she was the daughter of one of the other teachers. Really, I think it’s more of how to deal with that sort of thing by making the least fuss possible. They usually ignore it if they can, but if you’re complaining then you’re obviously the problem even though you haven’t done anything wrong. It’s the same in schools, hospitals, any sort of institution. It's not really fair, but eh, life's not fair.

Aqua_Dragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2009, 6:12 am

I'm not entirely sure how to respond, because this has honestly never happened to me. If there was a problem, the blame was never pinned on me unless it was actually my fault :? .

Same for everyone else I know.

If it does happen, one thing that makes things more difficult is perspective. Perhaps to the victim, it may seem obvious that they're the victim, but this isn't always the case to people outside of their narrow range. Alot of people will blow up how obvious something really is when they think others SHOULD have noticed it, regardless on whether it was actually noticeable or not. The person in power doesn't always know what to do.

@Rhapsody
You didn't try telling the principal, AP's, or counselors about it?

grinningcat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2009, 8:31 am

Its like the joke of "Why do animal activists hate fur but tolerate leather? Its way easier to harass a little old lady than a motorcycle gang member". Simply put, its much easier to punish the victim because - they are a victim. On the hierarchy, the strong rise, the weak follow. On something like a dog team, you have an alpha dog and the team who is led - the alpha dog, however, is not *necessarily* the lead dog in a race - a smart alpha will realize it if there is a stronger dog/smarter dog on the team and let them take the lead. However, at the end of the day, its the alpha who is fed first, and in doing that the chain of command is kept in tact.

However, the problem with humans is - we became self aware but at the same time we haven't shaken the stupid pack mentality. We misinterpret evil as being strong. I can't tell you how many times I heard, after I complained of someone tormenting me, that I *must* have done something to them first. They saw me as a lesser member of the pack, on some very primitive and outdated mode of thinking. Therefore, I should fight with the dog immediately above me, not with the pack leader who may be several dogs above me. If you tussle with the dog above you in rank, and lose, you don't have the right to rise further, which would be fine if we were dogs because all that means is we don't eat as soon as a higher ranked dog. Problem with humans is, when you don't do well in the tussle, we have way more inventive ways to torture each other, sigh.

Having said that, I would be a little scared if you did understand the mindset, because it would mean that you have accepted the cruelty of it all. I think in the last few decades we have made a few positive strides in this, but its a constant battle, especially when it seems people are just getting more selfish in the world again. What we need in this world is a few more people to say "no, bad dog!" I think... :wink:

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 11:13 am

Aqua_Dragon wrote:
Perhaps to the victim, it may seem obvious that they're the victim, but this isn't always the case to people outside of their narrow range. Alot of people will blow up how obvious something really is when they think others SHOULD have noticed it, regardless on whether it was actually noticeable or not. The person in power doesn't always know what to do.

Where bullies are involved, I find they often scream "VICTIM" first so that they look like the injured party and the real victim is made up to be the provocateur.

I remember being beaten up before school and when I tried to report it, the bully had all his friends lie and say they saw me start it. Of those who were actually there, they refused to testify to the principal out of fear. Since nobody working for the school saw what happened, they believed the person with the most "witnesses" on his side.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 11:26 am

Thanks for the replies. Very interesting insights.

The thing is, I have not yet lost that last bit of faith in humanity that keeps me from really believing that the majority of humans are as evil as they often seem. Part of me is convinced that this "pack mentality" must be some sort of illusion, and there really is a rational explanation for it other than that people are really that heartless. :?

y es como un semestre"

Rhapsody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2009, 1:02 pm

If it really was some sort of illusion I don’t think it would be so prevalent in fiction. But I don’t think it means people are heartless exactly: just that we are more instinctual than we would like to think.

Aqua_Dragon wrote:
@Rhapsody

I couldn’t tell the counselor because I couldn’t trust her. I’ve never had a good experience with a counselor, and the one in eighth grade was one of the worst. When I was new to the school (I came in about midyear) she set me up with a group of girls to show me around. Of course the group dumped me shortly after we left the counselors office and told me to follow the girl who eventually would beat me up during English class because they didn’t want anything to do with me. When I told the counselor about how the people she’d asked to show me around wouldn’t, she simply said that the bully was a wonderful girl and that she’d show me around. And at the time the school was switching principles so there wasn't one exactly.

Murasame
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Sep 2009, 5:19 pm

In primary school I found that teachers only started to take notice of any bullying once it spiralled into physical violence. This always meant that both bully and victim would be punished as "You were both fighting when I saw you!"

Trying to tell a teacher before things got to that stage got you nowhere and only served to label you among the staff as a problem child who was always running to the teacher and "telling tales". The only action taken was that the teacher would tell you to "Stay away from them" or "Don't play with them", before sending you away.

When it came to punishments the victim (me) would generally be dealt with worse as that was who the teacher had spoken to several times previously. I think they must have concluded that I was provoking the responses from the others, because how else could one person be getting into so many scrapes?

Unfortunately I found that by trying to stand up to bullies you just appear to be lowering yourself to their level. Therefore you leave yourself open to being treated the same or worse by the authority figures.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 1:44 am

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
Why do people (esp. those in authority) do this?

I don't understand this mindset at all. Do they do it on purpose? If not, why the hell does it happen?

Me and my friend were talking about this at lunchtime today, and we came to the conclusion that there's basically nothing you can do when you are being bullied that will not provoke criticism of some kind. If you retaliate, you're aggressive; if you tell a teacher, you're a grass; if you do nothing, you're a "willing victim". :roll:

Thats where one must be covert and creative in how they deal with the bullies.....such as trashing their property when they arent looking, putting their bike in a tree when nobody is looking,

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 1:45 am

Rhapsody wrote:
If it really was some sort of illusion I don’t think it would be so prevalent in fiction. But I don’t think it means people are heartless exactly: just that we are more instinctual than we would like to think.

Aqua_Dragon wrote:
@Rhapsody

I couldn’t tell the counselor because I couldn’t trust her. I’ve never had a good experience with a counselor, and the one in eighth grade was one of the worst. When I was new to the school (I came in about midyear) she set me up with a group of girls to show me around. Of course the group dumped me shortly after we left the counselors office and told me to follow the girl who eventually would beat me up during English class because they didn’t want anything to do with me. When I told the counselor about how the people she’d asked to show me around wouldn’t, she simply said that the bully was a wonderful girl and that she’d show me around. And at the time the school was switching principles so there wasn't one exactly.

A couple "anonymous" rumours here and there around the town, and she won't be sounding like roses anymore..... :P

I know it sounds horrible, but I have come to treat school life in my younger years like being in a war...one must outwit their enemy strategically if they don't have the actual firepower (strength and power) and if things are bad, go for the H bomb (rumours and covert means of bringing the bully down and making their life miserable).I had and still have no emotional empathy whatsoever towards those who bullied me, and whatever pain I caused some of them while defending myself, I have no regrets and no remorse.I did what I had to do to defend myself.School life was war, and I fought legitimately.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!