I have always been physically weak... Why?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2009, 1:17 pm

All my life, I have been physically weak. I do not understand why most people who do not exercise are still stronger than I am. I fear that one day, someone would exploit my weaknesses to rob me of my money and cell phone. How can I most effectively remedy this?

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2009, 1:55 pm

ive pushed this point so much with my friends that its gotten tiring....THERE ARE DIFFERENT KINDS OF STRENGTH. Like you i fear that i too am physically weak and to a good degree i am. I think alot of it comes from the mind blindness therefore being unable to fight against other people whos specialty it is to work with other people (and therefore know how to communicate, fight, etc.) with them. Its probably also our poor motor skills that may present a problem but remember THERE ARE DIFFERENT KINDS OF STRENGTH. When i had friends that put me in headlocks and asked why i didnt fight back my response was always...I DONT GIVE A s**t. Thats not whats important to me. People generally are stupid when it comes to the idea that there might be more to the world than just what they put importance into, in otherwords focus on where you are strong and just accept that you'll never be a boxer or fighter of any sort.

This might not be such a bad thing though. If someone tries to mug you and you either kick them in the balls or pepper spray them I'm sure you'll find it alot funnier than if you simply punched them in the face.

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2009, 2:14 pm

Sounds as though you do work out, if you keep doing that properly you're bound to get stronger but you know that. How do you compare your strength with others to get to your conclusion? Remember that technique or form is as important as strength, most strength excercises will benefit from widening your stance so as to lower the centre of gravity, keep your back straight bend at knees etc.

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

trgd__15
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2009, 3:04 pm

You should take steroids and pain killers. You'll be super strong and won't feel any pain. No one will mess with you.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 4:47 pm

Celtic_Frost wrote:
All my life, I have been physically weak. I do not understand why most people who do not exercise are still stronger than I am. I fear that one day, someone would exploit my weaknesses to rob me of my money and cell phone. How can I most effectively remedy this?

Do your parents seem as strong as other adults?

Have you had this condition evaluated by a doctor? There are a number of conditions that can lead to overall muscle/joint weakness, some of which can and need to be treated. If you are in good general health, and what you are suffering from is the dyspraxia so often associated with a/AS, then you may benefit from dance, gym or martial arts. Balance, coordination, and most of all TIMING will increase from any of these activities.

As for protecting your cell phone... for personal defense, I'd recommend the martial arts that do not rely on strength, but rather take advantage of the opponent's strength and your good timing to defeat them, such as aikido or ? (oh, brain lock... there's others suited to women, which would be a good choice as in general we're not as strong as some thuggish guy).

For more about dyspraxia....
http://www.dyspraxiausa.org/index.php/A ... ptoms.html

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2009, 2:08 pm

DonkeyBuster wrote:
Celtic_Frost wrote:

Do your parents seem as strong as other adults?

Have you had this condition evaluated by a doctor? There are a number of conditions that can lead to overall muscle/joint weakness, some of which can and need to be treated. If you are in good general health, and what you are suffering from is the dyspraxia so often associated with a/AS, then you may benefit from dance, gym or martial arts. Balance, coordination, and most of all TIMING will increase from any of these activities.

As for protecting your cell phone... for personal defense, I'd recommend the martial arts that do not rely on strength, but rather take advantage of the opponent's strength and your good timing to defeat them, such as aikido or ? (oh, brain lock... there's others suited to women, which would be a good choice as in general we're not as strong as some thuggish guy).

For more about dyspraxia....
http://www.dyspraxiausa.org/index.php/A ... ptoms.html

I am trying to get a diagnosis of AS, but I haven't heard of dyspraxia. I don't really think I have that, except for several of the mental symptoms, maybe.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 7:49 pm

Dyspraxia is another one of those spectrum thingies... so it may just be weakness rather than clutziness. Also, you're only 18... some folks just take longer to mature physically. Do you know when your Dad filled out, bulked up? I've seen some pretty puny 18 year olds turn into sleek, powerful 20-somethings... maybe that'll be your story.

But I'd recommend the martial arts anyway... just in case you didn't inherit an athletic phenotype... it'll help you feel and be safer in the world. The confidence and skill you learn in training will broadcast to the bad guys... much easier to go jump someone who walks like a cowering victim, less obvious risk.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 11:15 pm

I second the martial arts thought. I'm a small person and I have taken a combat style martial art for about nine years now. It is amazing what martial arts can do to benefit people.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 1:18 pm

It could just be genetic. My whole family has low muscle tone, including my kids. We may also all have AS. My son does for sure, my husband likely does, it's too early to tell for my daughter, and I at least share many traits. My huband also has muscular dystrophy and was diagnosed in his late 20's. There are over 40 types of neuromuscular diseases, some of which develop later in life, and some that are so minor that they can go undiagnosed. If there is an underlying condition, it is possible to do further damage to the muscles by overworking them. I would strongly urge a visit with the doctor before entering into a rigid workout routine.

As far as living with weakness goes, work smarter, not harder. My husband and I know we wouldn't stand a chance to defend ourselves physically, so we use added caution. We try to avoid bad neighborhoods and situations, but you might also consider carrying pepper spray or something like it. People can be taken advantage of in all sorts of ways, not just physically. I'd rather be weak bodied, than weak minded.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 5:14 pm

It's just your genes, I have Aspergers and I'm taller and stronger than most people in my year level. The only difference is that I don't use strength to bully other people.

ALacount
Toucan
Toucan

06 Nov 2009, 3:59 pm

I was very weak for my age until about 4 weeks ago when I saw a friend climb this wall, it is about 8 foot high (I'm just below 6) and I wanted to climb it, so I tried, failed, but after 2 weeks of trying, (I got a bit obsessed) and doing push-ups in my bathroom (Feet on edge of bath, hands on unit) I finally triumphed!! !! And I noticed that all my back and arm muscles where alot harder than before!! !! Now I'm only just below average strength for people my age (I think, I can beat all my friends in an arm wrestle (except the one who climbed the wall first) And a few weeks ago I couldn't. So all you need to do is a about 100 push ups a day where your legs are supported and in no time you will be a little stronger...

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2009, 6:50 pm

Well, I don't think I can do half of a freaking push up, let alone 100, now that my left leg is broken and parts of my body are very sore!

I wish I was hospitalized, because I am not strong enough to climb up and down stairs on crutches and one leg without hurting my broke leg! :x

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 9:51 pm

It could be because you have a high metabolism. I had a friend in high school with an insanely high one, he had to eat the equivalent of 10 waffles for breakfast alone, not including all of the stuff he had to eat throughout the day just to maintain his weight. When he moved out on his own for college, he dropped something like 40lbs over the summer just because he couldn't afford all of that food. So perhaps, once you get better, you should try increasing your caloric intake while working out, just to see if what happens.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 12:22 pm

I was just reading an interesting article yesterday that might apply to you, the links are at the bottom of my post and you should read through it but I'll try to explain the basics here as simply as possible.

It's about what the author calls the "skinny-fat ectomorph". If you don't know about somatotype, here is the wiki article. The principles are outdated but the training principles developed for the various somatotypes are quite helpful. So you've got two kinds of ectomorphs, the skinny-ripped ecto and the skinny-fat ecto. The ripped ecto can eat as much as he wants and he won't gain a pound but he also tends to be muscular and quite strong for his size. This guy can put on muscle relatively easily given proper diet and a properly designed training plan. The other kind, the skinny-fat ecto, tends to be a bit softer, he doesn't have a lot of muscle and he's got a bit of fat around his body. He tends to be weaker than the norm and doesn't seem to be able to gain anything no matter what he eats and how much he trains.

The difference comes down to hormones. The ripped ecto is more sensitive to certain hormones like testosterone, leptin, and some others the guy mentioned. These people have a high metabolism, they tend to have more energy, everything is just running at a higher pace. The skinny-fat (I'm using that because the guy writing the article used it, I mean no offense) person on the other hand seems to be more sensitive to cortisol, the stress hormone. That hormone promotes catabolism (the breakdown of tissue, be it muscle or fat) and thus makes it difficult to gain any kind of weight. So not only are they at a disadvantage because they've got less muscle, meaning they can't train as hard and won't improve as quickly, but their bodies are also less willing to build any new tissue, meaning they don't recover as quickly and are more prone to overtraining and injury.

This may seem depressing but there are things the skinny ecto is good at. They have a tendency to build more type 1 muscle fibers, these are your aerobic muscle fibers, the ones you use for marathons and anything else long distance. They're smaller and less powerful than the anaerobic muscle fibers, which are bigger and more powerful but they can only perform for a short period of time. A random interesting fact is that type 2 muscle is white because they lack the oxygen-binding protein that type 1 muscle contains, so next time you're eating chicken you'll know why the breast is white and the legs are dark (they need to beat their wings hard and fast to take off).

In order to get bigger and stronger you're going to have to be very mindful of your diet and training regimen. The article gives more specifics on what to eat and how much but basically you're going to want to eat more protein and fewer carbs than the normal recommended diet. As for training, you're going to want to focus on compound movements, you want to use as many muscles in each exercise as possible. This means your workouts will mostly consist of free weights with very few, if any, machines. This is something I recommend to anyone who wants to do weights because they're simply better for you, they work supporting muscles which provides real-world strength and since they recruit more muscle they also release more testosterone which increases gains. The only thing machines are good for is targeting specific muscles, which is good for injured athletes who need to avoid training a specific muscle or for bodybuilders who want to make one specific muscle grow.

If you think this applies to you, give the article a read, it's much more specific than my explanation and even gives a workout plan at the end.

links:
Part 1
Part 2

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 2:54 pm

Same with me when I was at school. Which was strange as most my classmates did not lift any more weights than me but I guess playing sports somehow gave them the muscle growth I missed out on. It's annoying to start behind but weight lifting and protein should eventually turn this around.

'An ideal of total self-sufficiency. That secret smile may be the Buddha's but it is monstrous seen on a baby's face. To conquer craving is indeed to conquer pain, but humanity goes with it. That my autistic daughter wanted nothing was worst of all.' Park

Mathias
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Dec 2009, 9:39 pm

When I was in Highschool and younger I was weak and very unathletic. In college I started taking Judo, then Jiu-jitsu and Mixed Martial Arts and 10 years later I am now very strong and coordinated at all the arts I've practiced. It is weird because I don't seem to have any coordination for other tasks. I am 150 lbs and can bench about 315 lbs.