Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

psych
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 3:43 am

Any other Civ players out there?

Im on 'emperor' atm. I can manage to get to about gunpowder before falling hopelessly behind and restarting. Perhaps ill drop back a level and finish all the other maps (think i won monarch on great-plains as Tokugawa)

Does anyone have favourite civs or strategies? Im finding the higher levels really force you to adapt your approach.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 5:43 pm

Ah at last someone who plays a real strategy game 8)

Basically its about understanding how the game system works and number crunch the computer so that your able to have more cities, more land produce more units quicker then them etc Really each civ is best suited to certain maps and certain strategies

The sea fairing civilisations such as the English for example (as elizabeth I not victoria) are ideal for worlds with islands and archipelo's as you get advantages with naval units and a unique naval unit in medieval/renassiance times.
Each civ has a time in the tech tree when it can dominate other civilisations potentialy (the germans have the Panzer for example later on so clearly that era of technology is when it is the time to be aggressive and expansionistic)

When you get to prince and beyond difficulty level it starts to become quite a challenge and if your used to playing at the lower difficulties you will 90% of the time get thrashed playing the way you would on those levels

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 7:41 pm

I cant get beyond the forth level :(.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

psych
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 8:10 pm

Laz wrote:
Ah at last someone who plays a real strategy game 8)

Basically its about understanding how the game system works and number crunch the computer so that your able to have more cities, more land produce more units quicker then them etc Really each civ is best suited to certain maps and certain strategies...

Number crunching is right - there are people on the official forums who go to great lengths to determine the best opening strategy etc - this guy posted a big database presentation to figure out whether to concentrate his great people points in one city or spread them out using an optimised ratio!

Do you know of any other map/civ combinations? Im focussing on the Chinese atm because i heard their special unit causes collateral damage. I stuck with Ghandi for so long because the benefits of pyramids/instant revolution became a habit.

Something ive just twigged onto is that if your landed with an aggressive neighbour they WILL invade, so perhaps its best to hit them hard towards the start, right after they start on someone else.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 12:17 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
I cant get beyond the forth level :(.

I was playing CIvIII extensively immediately prior to Civ IV being released, and at first i found it very hard to adapt and struggled on level 3 for about a week.

You need to take a fresh look, one of my main problems was overexpansion (in the economic sense)- this was never a major issue in CivIII but on CivIV if you dont keep a close eye on your civics & city/unit upkeep cost it sneaks up behind you and suddenly your bankrupted, with 0 research.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 3:55 pm

Thats not my problem, my problem is I over produce or economic and cultural stuff and then some stupid Civ decides to come declare war on me which by the time I repel has already destroyed all my improvements, not really much fun.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 6:23 pm

Heres some recomendations of mine

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/europa_universalis_2_main.asp

http://www.malfador.com/se4.html

Europa Universalis 2

and

Space Empires IV

Dionysius
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2006, 6:55 pm

WHY IS THIS THREAD SO EMPTY?! :evil:
Civ is the best damn game there is.
guess who just got Warlords? :wink:
fav civ: Celts! 8)

psych
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 9:27 pm

I started playing again after the 'beyond the sword' expansion came out.

this times i finally got my win on emperor level after a week or so - ill probably be able to say goodbye & uninstall it :) ...for now.

It was actually a really easy game - diplomatic victory, default settings & size, grt-plns starting at the NE corner.
I found the iron & horses then restarted, which some people might consider cheating.
(I probably couldve gotten the space-race or domination victories too, but was invaded by an advanced ally just after the diplomacy win, so it wouldve been a tedious PITA)

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 9:29 am

I don't own it yet, but it looks great. I'm looking forward to it.

There's no way I'm doing all that exact number crunching though! For me that wouldn't be fun. I'll just play it how I want to play it :)

Sylvius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2007, 3:08 pm

Civ4 is a huge improvement over Civ3. It's the first strategy game to approach the genius of Alpha Centauri.

Koldune
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Location: At the tree from whither come the roots of which no one knows

07 Sep 2007, 3:35 pm

I was disappointed in how "dumbed down" and simplistic Civ IV was, compared to Civ III and CIV III Play the World. (Play the World is my favorite. I've even played a custom Aspergia nation on it a couple of times.) I get the biggest charge our of exploring new territory. It looked ike the designers of Civ IV went for flashier graphics at cost of a much simpler, smaller land area. That might appeal to younger players, but for me it was a letdown. That, and I had to use my wife's laptop to play Civ IV, because my computer is too old to handle it.

?E. Weatherwax
Pro te ipso faciete. (Do for yourself.)

Maxx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2007, 7:22 pm

Civ 4 player? Sounds like me!

Unfortunately it got a little tedious when nobody would ever declare war.