Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 1:06 pm

No clue what for, though. Especially considering he's continuing the practice of rendition, hasn't closed guantanamo bay, is still engaged in the permanent war in Iraq, is looking to ramp up in Afghanistan to re-enact the USSR's economic bleeding out in Afghanistan, can't even get legislation passed with a super-majority in the senate, and has continued business as usual with the rampant corporatism.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 1:14 pm

I think it is actually a super-secret experiment to see if it is possible to get 8 billion people to experience the same state of mind - utter bemusement.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 1:19 pm

I think the Peace prize is just given out arbitrarily to big-name politicians.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 1:25 pm

What did Obama do to get nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize?

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 1:43 pm

I heard that he had been in office all of TWO WEEKS when the voting took place. Apparently the Nobel committee fell under the HopeNosis spell too.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 1:50 pm

What did he do to win it? He ran for president of the United States and won the office of the presidency as a mulatto. That is all.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 1:51 pm

give the guy a break, it's not his fault that the nobel prize committee is dumb :P

it would've been much cooler if he rejected the award though, right now this prize has completely devaluated.

X_Parasite
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 1:56 pm

Is it for something that he did in the Senate? For exceptional campaigning? What got him considered?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 3:00 pm

And he's already recieving a considerable amount of criticism during his short time in office.

Anyway, I doubt if there's THAT much he can do with being the U.S. president he is....

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 3:22 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
And he's already recieving a considerable amount of criticism during his short time in office.

Most of the criticism is an illusion, though. It's chicanery more than legit criticism. There's plenty to legitimately critique but none of that is ever approached because then that'd ruin the whole dog and pony show. Gotta make him seem DIFFERENT from Bush. Best way to do that is merely criticize every stupid thing and block him politically to where he's ineffective on any progressive points while still pursuing all of the means that Bush had previously been pursuing. He hasn't really done much of anything to garner criticism other than continuing many of Bush's policies...which are never linked in such a way because some people might actually realize what is going on if such a thing happened.

The puppet show must remain. The criticism is a verbal illusion done to affect a differing between the "two" political parties.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 3:39 pm

I guess you have a point there Ska, it just seems like it gets old after a while.

I'm still bewildered in how people much older than myself buy into the myths of the media via the internet by hearsay.

I've even run into people like my co-worker who still believe Obama is planning to euthanize old people.....:?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 3:53 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
I guess you have a point there Ska, it just seems like it gets old after a while.

I'm still bewildered in how people much older than myself buy into the myths of the media via the internet by hearsay.

I've even run into people like my co-worker who still believe Obama is planning to euthanize old people.....:?

People, in general, are simple animals who have a very limited view of the world and very limited scope in terms of political and social action.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 4:00 pm

It seems most people in the US, at least, are a bit befuddled. I hear the president himself was quite surprised. It appears to be an award of hope more than of accomplishments. Interesting message for the committee to send.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 4:13 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
It seems most people in the US, at least, are a bit befuddled. I hear the president himself was quite surprised. It appears to be an award of hope more than of accomplishments. Interesting message for the committee to send.

Not really...they gave one to Yasser Arafat before too. Doesn't take much to get one if you're on the international stage, apparently.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 5:27 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Not really...they gave one to Yasser Arafat before too. Doesn't take much to get one if you're on the international stage, apparently.

Giving one to Yasser Arafat was largely recognized as a political move. Many claimed then it made the Nobel Prize for Peace irrelevant as he was a well-established terrorist.

Then Al Gore got one for writing a book so based on flawed nonsense that he refuses to debate its contents with any qualified member of the academic/scientific community. Another Nobel Prize winner commented that it must be nice to get such a prestigious award for doing nothing but producing a poorly-written book.

Now Barak Obama gets the award for doing nothing but "bringing hope" (essentially all the Nobel committee can point to as Obama wasn't in office long enough to do anything when he was nominated for the prize).

Might as well use the Nobel Prize for Peace to sell toilet paper.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 5:40 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Then Al Gore got one for writing a book so based on flawed nonsense that he refuses to debate its contents with any qualified member of the academic/scientific community. Another Nobel Prize winner commented that it must be nice to get such a prestigious award for doing nothing but producing a poorly-written book.

The vast majority of the scientific community involved in such studies actually agree with the general idea of climate change/global warming. The only ones who oppose it seem to all be on the bankroll of Petrol companies.