The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 4:49 am

My copy of this book arrived today and will be the subject of intense (what else with an Aspie :wink: ) study.

I'll be sharing my thoughts about this book here and on my WP blog.

Please add your comments about the book too.

I have already learned, in the first few pages that AS wasnt really officially recognised until 1981 by which time I had survived my tortured teen years and was already at University.

Please also share details of any quality books on AS.

ps. Isnt it great not having to worry about eye contact on WP :?:

:wink:

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 10 Oct 2009, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

TouchVanDerBoom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2009, 5:30 am

I recently bought this book myself and have almost finished it. I really enjoyed the part about women aspies as I don't fit the typical (male) aspie archetype. I have an affinity for words instead of numbers, learned social skills from female friends, love of books and film/tv rather than transport or physics.

It's a very well-written book which balances the technical, the anecdotal and an almost conversational, at times humorous tone.

Enjoy!

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 6:20 am

I haven't yet read the book, but may read it sometime. I'm interested in wha tyou think of it.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 8:44 am

An excellent book! One of the BEST book to own.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 9:27 am

Thank you guys for this endorsement. I'm going to order one from Amazon... my son and I are both on the spectrum, and our similarities, while striking, still have some equally striking differences, which I understand are gender related more than anything.

I'm particularly encouraged that there's a section devoted to female aspies. It's only since I've learned of my own diagnoses that I've realised I'm not at fault. Nice to see that female aspie differences are acknowledged and explored.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 9:32 am

My relatively hi IQ created a volatile cocktail with AS.

It seems that I used all 4 of the typical compensatory and adjustment strategies as follows;

Self blame and depression

Escape and imagination;
I loved Geography and would imagine myself actually being and living in the countries that I studied at school.
One of my earliest childhood memories was the map of the world on my bedroom wall

Denial and arrogance
This can be extreme in those who are relatively intellectually gifted
I saw the antagonist kids were just stupid and I didnt recognise the authority in teachers (after all they weren't my parents were they?)
In later life the teacher thing is transferred to superiors and so begins a pattern of job hopping

Imitation of other children
This was my least used strategy and I didnt try this for very long; it just didnt work and that was even more depressing

A great intro and a big thumbs up so far :D

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 9:41 am

Self Blame and Depression...

Yes, I'm still fighting that one...

Escape and Imagination...

Yup, I lived in Narnia, Middle Earth, Tir na Nog, etc...

Denial and Arrogance...

Sadly, yes. I have come across as very arrogant in the past, since I can't help wondering why other people aren't as clever as I imagine myself to be. (High IQ doesn't mean you're "clever", though it's a nice blanky when the rest of the world thinks you're thick.)

Imitation of other children...
The only incident I can remember is when I was six, a Muslim girl in my class seemed to be as unhappy as I was. I liked her, she seemed to like me, so one day I went to school wearing trousers, and put a dress on in the loos, so I'd look like her. I thought she'd be happy that I wanted to be like her.

Sadly, her parents thought I was taking the micky, and she left the school. I couldn't understand it. I often feel sad about that misunderstanding, she was a lovely girl, and I was a complete twit.

Other than that, I didn't imitate other children. I never developed their accents or habits, and instead I modelled myself (Lord help me) on folks I felt I had something in common with. Sadly, and rather typically I suppose, my main role model was Mr Spock.

On the other hand, echolalia and vocal imitation has served me well, I've learned a lot of languages that way.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 9:52 am

I could watch Narnia and Prince Caspian back to back, over and over all weekend :!:

My favorite Star Trek characters are Spock, Data and Odo SURPRISE :!:

My brains, my IQ and running were all I had to keep me going as a teen and even then, I was often hanging on by a finger nail.

The two qualities that I probably value most in people are kindness (in short suppy as a youngster anyway and despite the fact that I can be a real b****rd sometimes) and humour (which has to be very good to get through to an Aspie :wink: )

That is such a sad story about the girl at your school. The disappointment must have been overwhelming....

Thanks for sharing

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 10 Oct 2009, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 10:22 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
The two qualities that I probably value most in people are kindness (in short suppy as a youngster anyway and despite the fact that I can be a real b****rd sometimes) and humour (which has to be very good to get through to an Aspie)

It depends on what you mean by kindness. I like the kindness that flows from being just, reasonable and fair-minded. I detest pity, altruism and sentimentality in myself and others. Whenever I shed a tear out of pity, I mortify my flesh.

I prefer people lean, mean and just.

ruveyn

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 10:23 am

For myself, that has only come about in more recent years. As a child, I just took it for granted there was nobody else like me ... yet I kept looking while assuming I would someday find the place where I fit in.

Escape and imagination

I wanted to go be a hermit, and I was sure that kind of life would idyllic.

Denial and arrogance

I learned to "play the part" in various situations, and I do not recall ever thinking I was actually superior to anyone ... just different, and sometimes very different.

If any two of us were identical, one of us would be unnecessary, yes?! I often tried to not be me, but I never tried to be somebody else.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 10:29 am

ruveyn wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
The two qualities that I probably value most in people are kindness (in short suppy as a youngster anyway and despite the fact that I can be a real b****rd sometimes) and humour (which has to be very good to get through to an Aspie)

It depends on what you mean by kindness. I like the kindness that flows from being just, reasonable and fair-minded. I detest pity, altruism and sentimentality in myself and others. Whenever I shed a tear out of pity, I mortify my flesh.

I prefer people lean, mean and just.

ruveyn

Any guidelines for us on humor :?:

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 5:39 am

Having read through chapters on social understanding and friendships, Theory of mind and now especially emotions which discusses disorders that often/usually accompany AS, I am recognising yet more characterstics, for the first time.

I also want to admit to laughing (hysterically at times) at some of the behaviour descriptions that the author provides because I keep reading about ME.

The objective and non-critical feel of the book that results from the clinical and professional writing style, means that I don't have the usual uncomfortable feeling that usually accompanies 'criticism'.

So in summary;

So far, very informative and very funny :!:

Thinkagain
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Oct 2009, 5:00 pm

DAMN!! im interested in reading this book now....my mum bought this book for me last year, around the time I convinced myself i was "normal" and i sold the book on amazon without even reading the first it lol oh well back to amazon i go....

anyway look forward to hearing about any useful things u found in this book

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2009, 5:49 pm

I started this book today! I bumped it to the top of my reading list after a recommendation from the leader of my support group, who called it "the bible" of Asperger's.

Yes. The strategy I've used the most, from childhood into adulthood. It's begun to ease since my self-diagnosis, I think.

Escape and imagination

Yes. In elementary school I used to take out notebook paper and draw cartoons. I had characters with their own personalities, language, pretty much a universe unto itself.

Denial and arrogance

Yes. I definitely denied, although it was not out of feeling superior. I think it was constantly being told by parents, teachers, therapists, "there's something wrong with you," when I knew there was not, but being unable to explain why.

No. Did not use this one.

Draco
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Oct 2009, 5:57 pm

Very good book. Read it in 2 days. (Parents were worried I was sick as I wasn't on my computer....)

hush6
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2009, 3:23 am

Here in Australia Tony Attwood has a bit of a bad rep, I was diagnosed by him (actually, to be specific I was upgraded from HFA to AS by him) but after everything went downhill I got reassessed.