The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 1:46 am

In the section on relationships there is mention of how children of a person with Asperger's Syndrome can often feel that they are just invisible to that parent.

This is something that I identify with very strongly.

I notice that I have a tendency to break eye contact even with my children.

I feel sad that I can't give them naturally, the kind of emotional intimacy that they deserve.

I feel sad that I have to remember to turn my head back to look at my teen age daughter when we are talking.

I feel sad that most of my communication with my children and my wife comprises information exchange.

I am grateful that I can at least see myself for what I really am and that I am better able to see myself as others (especially my family) see me.

Most of all I am just grateful that I have my wife and children. They are real heros.

I know that my emotional intimacy with my family will improve with CBT etc and I HOPE that one day (soon) that some of this at least might become natural for me, if only with my family.

In the words of Morpheus, talking to Neo just after he is rescued from the Matrix;

'They are rebuilding Neo's muscles and Neo's eyes hurt because he has never used them before'

and yes................I 'have been living in a dream world' in an Autistic Matrix

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2009, 1:40 pm

I have borrowed the book from my local public library. I have read the first three chapters. So far I have found it really great.

Tony Attwood's wife's sister is an Aspie and he refers to her several times.

One of the publications listed in the References is Asperger, H. (1938) Das psychisch abnorme Kind. Weiner klinische Wochenschrift 49, 1 - 12. (The mentally abnormal child. Viennese Clinical Weekly 49). That was a new publication to me.