Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

People with AS/HFA, do you have a verbal processing delay?
Yes, I think so 87%  87%  [ 52 ]
Not that i know of 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 60

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2009, 11:22 am

I find this so interesting! It looks like there must be a connection of some kind between the 'delay' and autism... The poll is overwhelmingly positive with only 3 negative responses out of over 30 total - Just 10% say no so far. Wow!

Have any professional people looked into this more deeply? I feel like this could be really important to the future definition/understanding of the dx. :?:

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 8:28 am

Oh yes, I have pretty much classic Central Auditory Processing Disorder.

Often I it will take me a few seconds to process what was said. like another person mentioned, I'll go "What?" and then realize what was said. :lol:

riverspark
Toucan
Toucan

21 Nov 2009, 1:57 pm

I was diagnosed with AS two years ago. The auditory processing part of it FINALLY provided me with an answer as to why I have done the following throughout my life:

--have to keep asking people to repeat what they said
--give up and just guess at what they said after the third unsuccessful repetition
--make an odd reply or comment that didn't match what the other person had just said
--be mystified as to why hearing test after hearing test kept coming back with perfectly normal results

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jul 2011, 2:49 am

Odin wrote:
Oh yes, I have pretty much classic Central Auditory Processing Disorder.

Often I it will take me a few seconds to process what was said. like another person mentioned, I'll go "What?" and then realize what was said. :lol:

I have this problem often and just had to look it up and see if it's part of this. Not surprised. lol. I also hated those hearing tests where they want you to hear a noise & hold up your hand. Sometimes I heard nothing (maybe because it was so fast). I was always worried that I would
"fail" those (which I know is ridiculous).

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Jul 2011, 4:42 am

Auditory processing disorder was one the diagnoses they gave me back in school. Pretty much the same as a lot you guys with responding to nearly everything with "what?", "huh?", or some variant. I honestly don't even notice myself doing it but it's really annoyed some folks during me life. Verbal instructions are pretty hard for me to follow without them being repeated especially with distractions in the background.

old thread is old btw

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 11:58 am

Yes. I seem to have more trouble than average understanding people with accents or people on the phone. Can't filter out background noise either.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

06 Jul 2011, 12:01 pm

I often have to have someone repeat what they had just said. :)

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 12:15 pm

Jaejoongfangirl wrote:
She said it used to confuse her when I would respond to a straight forward question with a knee-jerk, "Huh?" or "What?" as if I hadn't heard her and then, a split-second later, answered the question normally.

I still do this all the time as well. For awhile people had me thinking I was hard of hearing, but I really am not. In fact, I am SOOOO sensitive when it comes to hearing. I never realized it was an issue with verbal processing, but looking it, I think that is exactly what it is.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 12:22 pm

On the contrary, I process verbal information really fast. Visual information on the other hand, unless it's writing, I process it really slowly.