Forgetfulness is ruining my academic record

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

gnosislogicemotion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Oct 2009, 7:53 pm

Sup guys. I just missed my second statistics exam in a row this evening. My professor is the strict type and was highly displeased the first time but he let me make up the points in the final exam. Now that I've missed the second time I don't want to face him again. I'm pretty sure I can still get a C in the class but that's only if he still lets me make up the first one like he said he would. The bigger problem is I'm having a ton of anxiety since he'll inevitably pull me aside after class and chastise me.

Anyone else find their studies ruined by a tendency to forget very simple things?

The source is bright and endless.
She resuscitates the hopeless.
Without her we are lifeless satellites.&a

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 10:36 pm

YES! I just missed an exam that was worth 25% for abnormal psych. Luckily it was still before the official drop date, so I was able to drop the course without receiving a grade. Only now I am going to have to take an extra course next semester, and I already find my course load overwhelming. I also came 20 minutes late for a 35 minute test in another class, because I got the time of it wrong and was not allowed to take the test, because they has a rule against letting in late comers. I MAY have lost 10% of the mark for that class too, although I am appealing that. It was SO sad because I knew the material for the test inside and out, and could easily have completed it in 1 minute! I am usually an A student, since I changed my major to psychology, because I have a special interest in it. Silly things like mixing up dates and times have brought my average WAY down. *exasperated sigh* :roll:

Gremmie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 5:34 am

The only way I get through university is being bonded to my student diary. I write everything in there, even odd thoughts like stuff I should research or if I need to buy paper. Otherwise I just forget what I have to do.

lithium73
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Oct 2009, 8:51 am

I know what your feeling, i forgot two assessments this semester in the same subject which i have since decided to drop. I think i will have to do the diary thing next year.

gnosislogicemotion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Oct 2009, 12:58 pm

Quote:
YES! I just missed an exam that was worth 25% for abnormal psych. Luckily it was still before the official drop date, so I was able to drop the course without receiving a grade. Only now I am going to have to take an extra course next semester, and I already find my course load overwhelming. I also came 20 minutes late for a 35 minute test in another class, because I got the time of it wrong and was not allowed to take the test, because they has a rule against letting in late comers. I MAY have lost 10% of the mark for that class too, although I am appealing that. It was SO sad because I knew the material for the test inside and out, and could easily have completed it in 1 minute! I am usually an A student, since I changed my major to psychology, because I have a special interest in it. Silly things like mixing up dates and times have brought my average WAY down. *exasperated sigh*

I know exactly how you feel. My friends are shocked I get any good grades at all when I tell them all the assignments and things I forget :)

hmmmmm student diary. Will try... if I remember to write stuff down that is :/

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 10:36 pm

Ugh when I was in school, for the last few years of high school as well as college, I found I was forgetting things constantly.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 11:42 pm

gnosislogicemotion wrote:
Quote:
YES! I just missed an exam that was worth 25% for abnormal psych. Luckily it was still before the official drop date, so I was able to drop the course without receiving a grade. Only now I am going to have to take an extra course next semester, and I already find my course load overwhelming. I also came 20 minutes late for a 35 minute test in another class, because I got the time of it wrong and was not allowed to take the test, because they has a rule against letting in late comers. I MAY have lost 10% of the mark for that class too, although I am appealing that. It was SO sad because I knew the material for the test inside and out, and could easily have completed it in 1 minute! I am usually an A student, since I changed my major to psychology, because I have a special interest in it. Silly things like mixing up dates and times have brought my average WAY down. *exasperated sigh*

I know exactly how you feel. My friends are shocked I get any good grades at all when I tell them all the assignments and things I forget :)

hmmmmm student diary. Will try... if I remember to write stuff down that is :/

LOL yes people are thoroughly shocked to learn that I have a brain too.....because I am SO spacey and absent minded. =)

Student diaries don't work for me. I have tried the student diary and it isn't that I forget to write in it, but I forget to CHECK it to see when my test/assignment due dates are and I still forget them. Or sometimes I just lose the freaking thing! I also lose things quite frequently. I actually had the date written down for the exam I missed on a calendar on my wall and in my school notebook. I just remembered it as Nov 2nd instead of Oct 2nd, for some ridiculous reason. It was burned into my mind that way...I was so sure it was on Nov 2nd, and when I finally decided to consult my notebook to make sure of my exam dates on October 6th......well there was something of a meltdown

gnosislogicemotion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Oct 2009, 1:14 pm

^^ haha yes indeed the meltdown. (Keep in mind that I'm usually a calm and stoic person) When I realized my exam ended at 8:00 and that it was indeed 8:00 when I realized it, I yelled a couple obscenities, threw on my jacket and shoes, lunged for my pencil, sprinted out the door (with no time to put the pencil in my pocket, it was still in the death-grip of my left hand), down the halls, across the street, through a field and a parking lot, across another street towards the math building, up the stairs, and finally stumbled to a halt in front of the gaping door leading to the exam room which was jam packed full of nothing and noone. I just stood staring in silence with my insides twisting and melting for the better part of 10 minutes and subsequently slid my pencil into my pocket while shuffling dejectedly all the way back a half mile to my residence hall all the while with my chest heaving, my stomach turning, my vision blurred, and my head exploding from the combination of excessive stress and exertion. When I arrived back at my dorm room , I promptly laid on the floor and sobbed like a little kid for a while. Good times

On the bright side, it's a cool story.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 3:14 pm

Awwww that sounds awful.....although these do make for the best stories, that is true lol. Everybody loves a guy/girl w a self-depreciating sense of humour. =)

When I realized that I couldn’t take the test (just the one that was 10%, not the exam) because I came in late, I actually started crying, in front of the whole biology class, in a silent lecture hall ,where everyone was in the middle of writing a test! I am 24 years old, in my third year of university, and I started crying in front of the class! I was really interested in genetics, so I had spent way more time on this little 10% test than I should have, when I had other midterms worth A LOT more. I had studied for that test, had researched the material on my own..... I knew the material inside and out. In that moment I was devastated. On the plus side I think that made my T.A feel sorry for me perhaps she will be more inclined to consider my appeal...

Anyhow ...I better go...I am procrastinating studying for an exam worth 45% of one of my course marks right now.
=)

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

25 Oct 2009, 5:23 pm

I can relate. When I first started college I lost a ton of points due to forgetfulness. I would also get side tracked with the things I did enjoy studying. The best thing you can do is when you start the semester/quarter is put all the due dates from your syllabus on an electronic calendar. Sign up for Google Calendar and Ta-Da list. Free! It worked better for me this way so I wouldn't have to worry about losing a regular calendar. I think you can even have alerts sent to your cell phone. I would also set a timer when I studied so that I didn't forget to go to the next class.

Ralic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Oct 2009, 10:50 pm

This used to happen to me but I fought it so now I'm backwards: I'm excessively paranoid about everything from tests to assignments.

I use a combination of a student planner, diary, and also for the most important stuff, post it notes on the computer monitor and other places where I'll certainly get a glance at them. I make it a rule that every time something important is in my head, I write it on a note and stick it where I need to see it.

Fortunately, our college also uses a system where they have a website they post assignments at + email messages when anything is posted, so every time something happens I get an email, and if it's important I keep it, and I check email excessively often for some reason.

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2009, 12:35 pm

Forgetfulness in studying is ruining my academic record! I never forget an exam but I forget to study because I get wrapped up in playing video games!

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 9:49 pm

Is this statistics class an online course?... If it's not, then start going to class every single day so you'll never risk missing a test!

gnosislogicemotion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Oct 2009, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Is this statistics class an online course?... If it's not, then start going to class every single day so you'll never risk missing a test!

Naw brah, the problem is that the exams are held at random times in the evening outside of class. I'm actually quite dutiful in attending class since it's part of my precious routine :)

I really wish the class exams would just be during class; then I wouldn't have a problem. Oh well. C'est la vie I guess?

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2010, 11:15 pm

What you need to do is if you are going to turn in assignments into a class on a timely manner, you should make sure you store your assignments in a good folder and whenever you get home from school, you must get to doing your assignments ASAP. Also if you have trouble with getting into a class in a timely manner, you need to look at your watch and don't decide to dillydaddle around until lets say 1:30, if you have to bet at class by 1:30, plan to be at your class about at least 10 minutes early, because sometimes your watch can be behind or forward. This is all I can say if you want to be organized and stay on time when it comes to things.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 11:18 am

The last time I had a lot of exams I made a big timetable and put it on the kitchen fridge. Funnily enough my brother missed/was late to an exam after my mum told him to make a timetable like me but he wouldn't listen. :lol: :twisted: