Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 10:08 pm

I'm trying to find a new job because I can't stand my current one. When I look at job classifies or sites like Monster.com, all I see are the typical "professional" jobs that I am unsuited for. Currently, I work in IT, but desperately want out of that profession. It just takes too much time and since I don't find it interesting anymore, it's impossible for me to stay on top of it as things change and retain information. I'm at my wits' end. I either have absolutely no qualifications, am completely uninterested or issues with Asperger's would keep me from being able to do it.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 10:34 pm

I have had two pretty obscure jobs in Government. I was a foreign service officer from 1992-2000 (posted in Hong Kong and NYC), and more recently (since 2007) I have been a treaty negotiator with Indian and Northern Affairs.

While the qualifications for these obscure jobs are a bit remote (I have degrees in Math and Law), government still presents opportunities for work that cannot be found elsewhere. Also, Government is a very good employer in so far as accommodating Asperger's (or other personal issues) is concerned.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2009, 7:48 pm

Hmm, I looked for some local government jobs (city/county/state) but haven't tried federal. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 9:51 am

Try Craigslist. There are all kinds of jobs on there, not just professional ones.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 11:15 pm

Bataar wrote:
Hmm, I looked for some local government jobs (city/county/state) but haven't tried federal. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

For stability in government labor, I've found you need to look at the extremes in size. I work for a township, county, and the fed. The only one that I worry about my future at is the county. Unfortunately, my township and fed jobs aren't regular full time. The township is on call as needed, the fed is similar, with 2 week deployments. Things get quite interesting as an Info Systems/Telecom officer in disaster areas. You get to do things you would never dream of doing at a regular 9-5 job.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 12:38 pm

There is a site called www.linkedin.com

It is a professional networking site, kinda like a professional version of Facebook.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

matrixluver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2009, 8:17 pm

I don't advocate quitting your job to freelance or take up odd jobs, but when you are out of a job or you are just wanting to make a few extra bucks, you could try freelance websites like odesk.com. I actually found a publisher on odesk for my poetry. Again, I won't make a living but I will make a few bucks. I also sell quality used books on cash4books. I have sold some of mine and I advertise locally that I will pick up yard sale leftovers for a very cheap price. I then turn around and sell them to this site. they pay your shipping for you. If your book doesn't pass inspection they don't sell it but they don't return it, it's donated or destroyed. But at least you're not out any money.

http://cash4books.net/index.php?ref=152849
pm me for more info on odesk