How do you know if your standards are too high?

Page 10 of 12 [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 12:58 am

therange wrote:
I think the key is balance and moderation. Too much of anything isn't a good thing. Usually, I wear "dress casual"...a button up dress shirt, sometimes with a sweater over it, nice jeans, and nice shoes. If I have somewhere more important to go or it's a special occasion, I'll wear dress pants, a tie, sometimes a suit jacket.

I expect the same out of a woman. As long as she doesn't shop at Walmart for her clothes, I could really care less what she's wearing or how fancy it is unless we have somewhere special to go. I'll take a girl with a simple top and jeans over the done-up woman or dressed to the nines woman that isn't my type. Roz and Daphne, though their styles are a little outdated - and Patricia Heaton in Raymond - are good examples of women who can dress really nice without overdoing it. The whole Anne Hathaway, Heidi Klum look doesn't do it for me. It screams "Trying too hard."

Wish I could afford to be that picky..... :roll:

ScratchMonkey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2009, 1:26 am

Hey, I buy my clothes at Walmart! :P

I love my Dickies. They take a beating and the Scotchguard means they don't stain. (So no worries about Monica incidents! :P)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 1:44 am

I buy mine at Target and J.C. Penney

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

WhiskeyInTheJar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2009, 6:35 am

HH wrote:
If men put as much effort into their appearances as women do, there'd be as many beautiful men as beautiful women. The raw material is there.

:lmao:

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2009, 8:07 am

therange wrote:
First, I have not seen a pic of you. You're a lot of talk without any follow through.

ROFL. Major logic fail there, dude. You broadcast a rather huffy offer to send your pic anywhere. I called you on it. There is nothing in any of that ever to suggest that return pictures would be forthcoming. You're just pretending there was such an implication -- for what? Drama?

therange wrote:
Second, Sin, who I have seen and is quite pretty, has had nothing but good things to say about my pic and messaged me instead of broadcasting it to everyone else.

Uh, you broadcast on a public thread that your picture would demonstrate your assertions about yourself, and any who chose were welcome to verify that. If discussing your pic on the thread were not your goal, why did you start discussing your pic on the thread? You're the one who decided your pic was a topic for broadcast discussion, not me.

Quote:
As for the women I like...there is nothing spectacular about Roz or Daphne...neither wear a lot of makeup on the show or fancy clothes. They both have understated beauty and even in their prime weren't in magazines.

You either didn't look closely or didn't understand what you saw. There was an extreme amount of labor to produce the look they had.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 8:51 am

Janissy wrote:
b9 wrote:
etc.......
but i sleep well as me.

It's completely off topic but I just have to say this. Reading posts from b9 is like the time I got lost in Paris. I had a map and I thought I knew where I was but I got incredibly lost anyway and nothing I saw around me seemed to sync up with what was on the map.

well i am not that good at being concise. that sentence you wrote is actually very hard for me to understand. i have never been to paris and i was not talking about paris. i would not much even like to go to paris because i think it would be smelly and humid.

Janissy wrote:
Even so, everything around me was beautiful because it was Paris and just listening to the people made me feel good because the language is beautiful even though I don't speak or understand it and walked around with a French/English phrasebook the whole time. I didn't really know where I was or what was going on around me but I was ok with it because I was awash in lyrical beauty.

you are lucky to have that ease of attachment of soul to your experiences.
i would be awash with anxiety and trying to find a cab to get me back to where i was based.
i would be not happy to be "lost in paris". (sounds like an interesting idea for a song).

Janissy wrote:
The posts of b9: as beautiful and foreign as Paris to a lost American who doesn't speak French.

So there. My little shout out to b9 who writes the most lyrical posts on all of WP.

i am sure your words mean something very nice but i can not really understand what you are saying.
to me, "foriegn" is not "beautiful"."
in france they eat frogs and snails. i do not want to be lost in france.
i think you are nice even though i may have not said anything nice.

now...
SINsister wrote:
B9's posts sound to me like "forlorn" transmissions from a disembodied AI, dispatched from some far distant point on the space-time continuum...or maybe from some icy realm out past the Andromeda galaxy.

so what i say i must have said 2.4 million years ago and it has taken this long to be heard.
but when i heard it i replied within the day and here the reply is in less than 2.4 milliom years so i am not in andromeda.

my soul is contained within an icy realm where nothing happens very quickly as you said.
my intelligence is not artificial.

SINsister wrote:
I prefer to think of him as a "Hal" of sorts. :)

no i am only an environmental analysis robot called B9 and i have no abilities comparable to the hal9000 module.

i am old transistors and vacuum tubes and resistors plugged into an early biologically designed circuit board. i have also a good store of capacitance that can stock 40000 volts and discharge it from either claw for a duration of 3 seconds. it takes me 10 seconds to recharge my capacitors. i could easily render the HAL circuit board inoperative with a burst.

(yes i am being fanciful as a response to the suggestion of the HAL idea. it is totally comic book imagination)

Last edited by b9 on 04 Nov 2009, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 8:56 am

SINsister wrote:
When I'm not in my work "uniform," I generally dress like a slob, out of both poverty and necessity. I simply can't afford nice clothing from expensive department stores. Also, and more importantly, most of my wardrobe consists of stuff that I can order from the Gap online store (jeans, in other words), because the Gap site offers clothing for tall women. Shocker!
My wardrobe's boring, but beggars can't be choosers, after all. :roll: :?

Not to be overly critical, but with your preference in men, its the same concept: beggars cant be choosers. :|

Personally, i cant really stand a "barbie doll" woman . . . they all look (and often act) the same. Most of them probably have more plastic on them than my car (2001 Celica GT). In the end, it boils down to who will love/like/tolerate you, and after X amount of months/years would like to get into a relationship. One can have whatever standard they want, but thats no guarantee. In the end, you will have to settle for someone, "in the ballpark," or nowhere near what you had originally considered. Admittedly, there are two women that have my eye at the moment, one slightly taller and <insert a polite word for a slightly heavier, but still attractive woman> than the other. At least my options are open. You cant afford to be picky with a lot of things . . . and sadly, we have to do the one thing we dont like doing . . . taking a chance.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 9:42 am

PlatedDrake wrote:
Not to be overly critical, but with your preference in men, its the same concept: beggars cant be choosers. :|

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here, but I can make a burlap sack look good, if you know what I mean. :)

Perhaps I should replace "slob" with "casual." My clothes aren't unclean or ill-fitting; I guess I could pass for the typical emo/hipster kid when in public (jeans/tee(s)/hoodie/Chucks). I was a g0th/rivethead for nearly 20 years; even if I were of average height and flush with cash, I don't know what I'd wear, now. I'm utterly lost. My identity was so thoroughly tied into the g0th/industrial scene for so long that I dunno who or what I am, anymore. "Normal" clothes aren't appealing to me, nor are "normal" hairstyles and hair colo(u)rs - but those are the ideals I'm stuck conforming to, now that I'm living in an ultra-conservative area. It feels, to me, like it almost doesn't matter what clothes I wear, or what hairstyle I sport, when I can't be "me" anymore (whoever she is, now), anyway. If I still sported my formerly black-and-blue hair and Chicago-era attire, I'd be relegated to the local mall's Hot Topic, because no other entity around here would hire me. In Chi, no one at the marketing/advertising firms where I'd freelanced so much as batted an eyelash - actually, I received tons of compliments on my hair, back then. I'm completely in limbo. :(

~Steve Jobs

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 9:53 am

PlatedDrake wrote:
In the end, it boils down to who will love/like/tolerate you, and after X amount of months/years would like to get into a relationship. One can have whatever standard they want, but thats no guarantee. In the end, you will have to settle for someone, "in the ballpark," or nowhere near what you had originally considered. Admittedly, there are two women that have my eye at the moment, one slightly taller and <insert a polite word for a slightly heavier, but still attractive woman> than the other. At least my options are open. You cant afford to be picky with a lot of things . . . and sadly, we have to do the one thing we dont like doing . . . taking a chance.

Hey, aren't you forgetting something? I'd also have to love/like/tolerate the guy in question; in my past experience, it's always (or almost always) been one-sided. There's a thread elsewhere dealing with this dilemma, so I won't rant about it at length here.

Your options are open because you have women in your "real," day-to-day life who get along with you, like you for who you are, and vice-versa. I can't claim either. Do you lot really think I'm turning guys away right and left because of some haughty laundry list of demands that aren't being met? Hello, NO. As I've stated countless times in other rants, attractive men, save for a couple of co-workers who HAVE to talk to me, don't give me the time of day. End of. There aren't any guys here for me to be taking a chance WITH! :x

~Steve Jobs

therange
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 11:47 am

"ROFL. Major logic fail there, dude. You broadcast a rather huffy offer to send your pic anywhere. I called you on it. There is nothing in any of that ever to suggest that return pictures would be forthcoming. You're just pretending there was such an implication -- for what? Drama?"

I see only one person who is looking for drama and isn't succeeding. In case you haven't noticed, we're all relatively low key here, and your attempt to say "look everyone, he's a 5 because he looks like a jerk" didn't succeed.

"You're the one who decided your pic was a topic for broadcast discussion, not me."

I'll admit, I fell into your trap and decided you were mature enough to see my pic. At least Sin, who has a good reputation on this board, was.

"You either didn't look closely or didn't understand what you saw. There was an extreme amount of labor to produce the look they had

So I take it you're some natural beauty that can wear jogging pants, a t-shirt and not comb your hair and have all the guys looking at you? Or at least that's what you're trying to project where you said that the guys stare at you and tell you how hot you are.

You picked the wrong site to troll.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 12:59 pm

SINsister wrote:
Hey, aren't you forgetting something? I'd also have to love/like/tolerate the guy in question; in my past experience, it's always (or almost always) been one-sided. There's a thread elsewhere dealing with this dilemma, so I won't rant about it at length here.

Your options are open because you have women in your "real," day-to-day life who get along with you, like you for who you are, and vice-versa. I can't claim either. Do you lot really think I'm turning guys away right and left because of some haughty laundry list of demands that aren't being met? Hello, NO. As I've stated countless times in other rants, attractive men, save for a couple of co-workers who HAVE to talk to me, don't give me the time of day. End of. There aren't any guys here for me to be taking a chance WITH! :x

I just said i they have my eye, i couldnt tell you if they liked me . . . hell, i couldnt even tell myself. But, im just spewing info from observations. Ive mentioned previously in other posts about my lack of relationships in RL, and yes, i have trouble even taking my own advice. I apologize if you took offense. Ive been of the philosophy to not go looking, but that means anyone i meet would be in a professional/work related environment only . . . or in the case i go out to get something (groceries, supplies, etc). However, in the latter case, i dont really talk to someone because i dont want to interrupt them while working (some jobs are strict on employee/customer interaction).

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 1:12 pm

therange wrote:
I'm a guy and don't rate other guys, but I am above average looking, keep myself in shape, don't have an ugly face or bad hair. I'm not Brad Pitt, but who is?

Although I think everyones entitled to their opinion here and that they've all been phrased rather intelligently, I agree with therange.

The examples he listed were far from supermodels but they could be 10's to him. I've always thought of a 10 being everything you want in a person whereas an 8 or a 9 being most of what you want in them.

Maybe the way he phrased it was a little off, but I don't think there's anything wrong with being preferential to some extent.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 2:23 pm

it's not my standards that are too high. It's other people's standards that are too high ;)

david_42
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2009, 2:23 pm

HH wrote:
If men put as much effort into their appearances as women do, there'd be as many beautiful men as beautiful women. The raw material is there.

Definitely not. I can't begin to count the number of times I've been rejected because a woman doesn't date bald guys. There is absolutely nothing I can do about baldness, but somehow I HAVE to accept obese as sexy or I'm evil.

Notes: Rogaine doesn't work. Eating less does.

ScratchMonkey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2009, 2:46 pm

For you guys, here's a fun exercise. When evaluating a girl for "pretty", subtract the hair. How much does the hair contribute to the overall package?

I'm not a fan of complicated hair styles, and look more at facial features. I'm terrible with facial recognition, though, so I'm always trying to analyze a face to see if I can figure out how to build a "language" for them that would help me remember and describe them. No luck yet, though.

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2009, 2:53 pm

therange wrote:
your attempt to say "look everyone, he's a 5 because he looks like a jerk" didn't succeed.

You're the one who declared your looks up for discussion and that your picture would prove everything. Why are you having a snit because someone believed you?

Quote:
I'll admit, I fell into your trap and decided you were mature enough to see my pic.

Please show me the trap. You thrust your picture into the conversation, not anyone else.

Quote:
Quote:
"You either didn't look closely or didn't understand what you saw. There was an extreme amount of labor to produce the look they had

So I take it you're some natural beauty that can wear jogging pants, a t-shirt and not comb your hair and have all the guys looking at you?

This is called a false dichotomy logical fallacy.

Quote:
Or at least that's what you're trying to project where you said that the guys stare at you and tell you how hot you are.

And this is called a strawman logical fallacy. Please provide links to the quotes to which you are referring if it's not a strawman.