How do you know if your standards are too high?

Page 11 of 12 [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2009, 2:53 pm

therange wrote:
your attempt to say "look everyone, he's a 5 because he looks like a jerk" didn't succeed.

You're the one who declared your looks up for discussion and that your picture would prove everything. Why are you having a snit because someone believed you?

Quote:
I'll admit, I fell into your trap and decided you were mature enough to see my pic.

Please show me the trap. You thrust your picture into the conversation, not anyone else.

Quote:
Quote:
"You either didn't look closely or didn't understand what you saw. There was an extreme amount of labor to produce the look they had

So I take it you're some natural beauty that can wear jogging pants, a t-shirt and not comb your hair and have all the guys looking at you?

This is called a false dichotomy logical fallacy.

Quote:
Or at least that's what you're trying to project where you said that the guys stare at you and tell you how hot you are.

And this is called a strawman logical fallacy. Please provide links to the quotes to which you are referring if it's not a strawman.

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2009, 2:56 pm

david_42 wrote:
HH wrote:
If men put as much effort into their appearances as women do, there'd be as many beautiful men as beautiful women. The raw material is there.

Definitely not. I can't begin to count the number of times I've been rejected because a woman doesn't date bald guys. There is absolutely nothing I can do about baldness, but somehow I HAVE to accept obese as sexy or I'm evil.

Notes: Rogaine doesn't work. Eating less does.

Uh, how does that follow from what you quoted. I never suggested anyone can be a 10 just by trying. I just said men as a group have as much potential for looking good as women as a group.

I feel a little sad that some guys have a hard time believing men can be a pleasure to look at.

therange
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 3:51 pm

HH wrote:
SINsister, I run into these schlubs all the time, and over time I've lost all sympathy for them. It's screamingly obvious when they're reacting strongly to the way I look, that kind of "zomg WANT" thing they get going, and the ones where it's so obvious invariably have a sub-par presentation of themselves and their appearances.

The sheer irrationality of it gets me wondering if they're all there upstairs. If they react that strongly just to how I look, clearly there's going to be a ready supply of other men who do as well. I'm not sure how they think they're supposed to stand out as anything but another tired example of male double standards.

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2009, 3:58 pm

Ah, I see. Note that that quote contains neither staring nor telling anyone comments about hotness. Where does the bit about uncombed hair and jogging pants tie in? And the bit about "all the guys"?

And where were the bits where I set a trap for you, as you claim?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 4:54 pm

I think the idea about not taking care in the appearance, is valid up to a point. However it is somewhat what a distraction from the main issue. There is nothing to say it will solve this problem en-masse, and that the extent to which men value their appearance isn't already sufficient for the task on the whole. Women are not just taking an interest in their appearance for men, but also women. Men do already compete on appearance; just that there are various different ideas on masculinity, and tastes.

What is more to the point is it is hypocritical to expect people not to have preferences, when this entirely natural. Everyone does it. There is no moral foundation from which to claim the high ground, in the case of rejection.

The lesson is if you pump out nothing but resentment then expect some backflow at some point. Eventually you will become wise enough to realise that blame is pretty meaningless in this context. Of course some people will die before this happens.

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2009, 5:00 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
The lesson is if you pump out nothing but resentment then expect some backflow at some point. Eventually you will become wise enough to realise that blame is pretty meaningless in this context. Of course some people will die before this happens.

Well said, with bonus points for being very succinct.

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 6:16 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
I think the idea about not taking care in the appearance, is valid up to a point. However it is somewhat what a distraction from the main issue. There is nothing to say it will solve this problem en-masse, and that the extent to which men value their appearance isn't already sufficient for the task on the whole. Women are not just taking an interest in their appearance for men, but also women. Men do already compete on appearance; just that there are various different ideas on masculinity, and tastes.

Well said.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 8:35 pm

Previously said, I'm looking for a female version of myself.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 9:51 pm

Generally if you cant get anyone your standards are too high.

Thing is though, whats a standard?

My standards are 80% personality. To me someone with a WICKED personality in MY opinion, is to a VERY high standard. I could not date them though unless their look does it for *me*, but they don't have to be "hot". In fact im not attracted to generic "hot".

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 9:53 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

Ditto.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 12:32 am

Really never been sure where I fall on the scale, I got everything where it's spose to be. I'm in shape, and well groomed. Been called a 10 before, by a few sources, even modeled as a teenager. So, iono, maybe I actually am cute. I'm pretty damn smart, inventive you could say. My humor is lost on nearly everyone though, so, typically I'm seen as boring or even odd.

But, given that rough summary, I think my standards are too high.

I need a woman who is smart, cunning, witty, shares at least some tenets of philosophy or ideology with me, whom enjoys my company, and likes my son. Not sure if I can find this girl, might not exist.

Last edited by NarcissusSavage on 07 Nov 2009, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 5:01 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

Maybe thats too high.

If you have a list of criteria a woman must have like that, obviously the traits you have, it's a lot to ask at wont be easy to find.

Standards are a funny thing because I firmly believe that you should never just settle for someone.

If you aren't attracted to many people, maybe you're being picky, but if thats the case, don't complain.

I am extremely picky and am prepared to live out my life alone. However, it depends what you mean by "high standard", as men I consider to be a great catch are often unattractive in the looks department to others.

therange
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 2:25 pm

You don't have to have 100 percent in common with your partner or for him/her to be a "male/female version of yourself." It's more about similar values (for example, if you're a touchy feely person and she isn't, or you like sex and she doesn't) it won't be the best relationship. Or he wants to party all the time, but you're a stay-in kind, it won't work. Similar interests also help...similar music taste, a hobby in common, just one or two things that you can both do together besides sex. Someone with a similar but not exact same outlook. I say not the exact same because you might (especially as an Aspie) have a frigid way of looking at things, and your partner can say "Well this is a possibility too..." Kind of like the relationship Mulder and Scully have, even though, yes, it's just a tv show.

For me, I want someone a little more proactive than me to bring out the life in me. I noticed when I was dating the last girl I was dating, we went to restaurants, did little things together, just talked about nothing. It was like hanging around a guy only in a pretty girl's body and slight playful arguments.

For all the talk women say about "We have to live up to these expectations"...the girl I was dating had a beautiful face, average body...thin, but not model thin...looked like "the girl next door" and wasn't the type of shopping for clothes/lots of makeup girl. I think society just portrays women like Heidi Klum to be the ideal to sell magazines and make women jealous.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 5:15 pm

therange wrote:
For me, I want someone a little more proactive than me to bring out the life in me. I noticed when I was dating the last girl I was dating, we went to restaurants, did little things together, just talked about nothing. It was like hanging around a guy only in a pretty girl's body and slight playful arguments.

Thats what a lot of people need and a good thing to look for imo.

I tend to look for outgoing confident guys, because I can get tips from them, and the more time you spend with someone the more like them you become.