How do you know if your standards are too high?

Page 9 of 12 [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 8:34 pm

Laboriously-acquired appearances?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2009, 9:00 pm

CrinklyCrustacean wrote:
I didn't mean that people should look scruffy, but there is a sense in which you can 'overgroom' yourself to the point where your look is more artificial than natural.

Oh, I heartily agree.

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2009, 9:01 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I am tired of people trying to convince me that having any standards whatsoever constitutes standards that are too high.

In other words, people think I should settle for whoever comes along.

That sounds like a silly thing to tell you -- can you point me to where people said that? (I'm fairly new here.)

ScratchMonkey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2009, 9:25 pm

BTW, ladies, thanks for being patient with us guys. We only have enough blood supply for one head at a time, and whenever we think about women, the blood supply goes to the other head and we get a little stupid. ;)

Ok, not a little. But you have to understand: That's a lot of blood! :P

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2009, 9:27 pm

To spell out what I was getting at with some of my earlier comments:

Most people like pretty people, including other pretty people. Anything along the lines of "I should be entitled to someone more attractive than I am," is going to get eye-rolling as a response, because hey, the pretty people would also like to be with people even prettier than they are.

If the above simply refers to the raw materials, there's also the matter of what you do with the raw materials:

Someone scrupulously clean clearly values scrupulous cleanliness and will probably want someone scrupulously clean.

Someone with careful grooming, such as an excellent haircut, carefully groomed hair, well-manicured hands, well-cared-for skin, clothes chosen to go well with the individual, and so on will almost certainly value a similar level of care in appearance in whomever they want to date.

If you want something in particular in a romantic partner, it's only reasonable to make it your business to offer the same in return. If you can't for some reason, that's perfectly ok, but it's also perfectly ok for the people you like to choose someone with that attribute instead of you, the same way you would.

ScratchMonkey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2009, 9:37 pm

I tend to be narcissistic in my selection. Skinny like me, lazy like me, nerdy like me. If I could clone myself and run the result through a sex change, I'd have the ideal mate.

In other words, I have low standards. :P

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2009, 10:05 pm

ScratchMonkey wrote:
If I could clone myself and run the result through a sex change, I'd have the ideal mate.

Hmm, that would work for me. I'm not sure my result would be my ideal mate, but I'd certainly be interested in them.

Yay for narcissism?

therange
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 10:17 pm

Well, I take your opinion with a grain of salt, HH. First, I have not seen a pic of you. You're a lot of talk without any follow through. Second, Sin, who I have seen and is quite pretty, has had nothing but good things to say about my pic and messaged me instead of broadcasting it to everyone else.

As for the women I like...there is nothing spectacular about Roz or Daphne...neither wear a lot of makeup on the show or fancy clothes. They both have understated beauty and even in their prime weren't in magazines.

Last edited by therange on 03 Nov 2009, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 10:27 pm

HH wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
I am tired of people trying to convince me that having any standards whatsoever constitutes standards that are too high.

In other words, people think I should settle for whoever comes along.

That sounds like a silly thing to tell you -- can you point me to where people said that? (I'm fairly new here.)

I am referring to the fact that many of the guys on here complain about the so-called "nice guy syndrome", and that according to them, women are allowed to have their pick of partners, while the guys are not.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 10:35 pm

HH wrote:
If men put as much effort into their appearances as women do, there'd be as many beautiful men as beautiful women. The raw material is there.

I have to disagree, here.

~Steve Jobs

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 10:52 pm

CrinklyCrustacean wrote:
The raw material should be enough. It shouldn't need enhancing, and that goes for both sexes.

Again, I have to disagree. My stance comes from an obsessive love of adornment, artifice, and theatrics, however, that I'm sure most people don't share. I firmly believe that most men should wear *at least* a bit of eyeliner (for some examples of men whom I consider to be "beautiful," rent "Velvet Goldmine" ;)); I think most folks' bare faces are pretty boring. I don't venture out into public without makeup, as I feel that I don't look my best completely bare-faced. Other people's opinions of my unadorned face are irrelevant; the only opinion about my appearance that truly matters to me is mine.

~Steve Jobs

ScratchMonkey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2009, 11:32 pm

I don't dislike a little makeup, but too many little girls are banned from it, making it forbidden fruit. When they finally get to use it, they apply it with a trowel, and end up looking like clowns.

Have you looked at Michelle Phan's videos on YouTube? I tripped across them one day and ended up fascinated with the amount of work she puts into describing how to use makeup. It reminds me of videos about "case mods" in which one details a computer around some theme like that of a video game.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MichellePhan

therange
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 11:50 pm

I think the key is balance and moderation. Too much of anything isn't a good thing. Usually, I wear "dress casual"...a button up dress shirt, sometimes with a sweater over it, nice jeans, and nice shoes. If I have somewhere more important to go or it's a special occasion, I'll wear dress pants, a tie, sometimes a suit jacket.

I expect the same out of a woman. As long as she doesn't shop at Walmart for her clothes, I could really care less what she's wearing or how fancy it is unless we have somewhere special to go. I'll take a girl with a simple top and jeans over the done-up woman or dressed to the nines woman that isn't my type. Roz and Daphne, though their styles are a little outdated - and Patricia Heaton in Raymond - are good examples of women who can dress really nice without overdoing it. The whole Anne Hathaway, Heidi Klum look doesn't do it for me. It screams "Trying too hard."

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 11:52 pm

therange wrote:
I think the key is balance and moderation. Too much of anything isn't a good thing. Usually, I wear "dress casual"...a button up dress shirt, sometimes with a sweater over it, nice jeans, and nice shoes. If I have somewhere more important to go or it's a special occasion, I'll wear dress pants, a tie, sometimes a suit jacket.

I expect the same out of a woman. As long as she doesn't shop at Walmart for her clothes, I could really care less what she's wearing or how fancy it is unless we have somewhere special to go. I'll take a girl with a simple top and jeans over the done-up woman or dressed to the nines woman that isn't my type. Roz and Daphne, though their styles are a little outdated - and Patricia Heaton in Raymond - are good examples of women who can dress really nice without overdoing it. The whole Anne Hathaway, Heidi Klum look doesn't do it for me. It screams "Trying too hard."

Hey, don't knock the Hath!

I recommend seeing Havoc, if you haven't seen it already.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 11:58 pm

When I'm not in my work "uniform," I generally dress like a slob, out of both poverty and necessity. I simply can't afford nice clothing from expensive department stores. Also, and more importantly, most of my wardrobe consists of stuff that I can order from the Gap online store (jeans, in other words), because the Gap site offers clothing for tall women. Shocker!
My wardrobe's boring, but beggars can't be choosers, after all. :roll: :?

~Steve Jobs

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 12:58 am

therange wrote:

Wish I could afford to be that picky..... :roll: