Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Can you relate to what Einstein said about being a lone traveller?
Poll ended at 28 Nov 2009, 7:56 am
Yes 95%  95%  [ 21 ]
No 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 22

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 7:56 am

Albert Einstein is believed by some experts, including Dr. Simon Baron Cohen, to have been High Functioning Autistic:

Here are Albert Einstein's own words about himself;

'I am truly a lone traveller and have never belonged to my country, my home, my friends or even my immediate family with my whole heart. In the face of all these ties I have never lost a sense of distance and a need for solitude.'

You can hear his full description of himself on You Tube here: Aspergers Syndrome Survival Guide

Can you relate to this?

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 29 Oct 2009, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2009, 8:21 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
Albert Einstein is believed by some experts, including Dr. Simon Baron Cohen, to have been High Functioning Autistic:

Here are Albert Einstein's own words about himself;

'I am truly a lone traveller and have never belonged to my country, my home, my friends or even my immediate family with my whole heart. In the face of all these ties I have never lost a sense of distance and a need for solitude.'

You can here his full description of himself on You Tube here: Aspergers Syndrome Survival Guide

Can you relate to this?

This is totally me. I live in and out of three countries, and have no concept of "home". I live thousands of miles from my family, and have pretty much no contact with my family of origin. I have a very small number of people close to me for whom I would do anything, who in turn will accept and accommodate my unusual demeanour and abilities (or lack thereof); however, the deepest core of my being has never been known by or seen by anybody.

This sense of distance is omnipresent, and lengthens and shortens from day to day and even hour to hour. It is an absolute impediment to anything even remotely resembling real intimacy.

Even in a crowd, a not insignificant part of me stays inside, trapped in the avalanche of thoughts tumbling around in my mind.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 10:29 am

This describes me very well.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 10:36 am

Yep. I've always felt like there was some sort of invisible bubble around me disconnecting me from other people. I mean, i might be talking to someone, be in a group, or whatever, but it keeps me from connecting with them the same way the rest of the people are connecting to eachother.

WritersBlock
Raven
Raven

29 Oct 2009, 10:37 am

Well, as of this writing I seem to be the only person who voted "no". But then, I relate very little to anyone (pro'ly to self-absorbed). Besides, either at work or at home I feel constantly surrounded by people so choosing to be alone isn't really an option.
Aside from that, Einstein was crazy smart which I can only imagine would exacerbate that feeling of alienation. Since I am anything but smart I tend to fit right in with the stupid-to-average crowd quite well.

Last edited by WritersBlock on 29 Oct 2009, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cowbird
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Oct 2009, 10:38 am

This is me all over. By the way, Einstein was definitely, totally autistic. He didn't speak until he was 4.5 years old (they assumed he was ret*d) and then went straight to full sentences. He wore the same clothes every day most of his adult life. I know someone who knows someone who took a class from him, and he would get so into his equations on the blackbord -- totally self-stimming -- that there would be no discussion at all through entire class meetings. Dude was a classic case.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 10:51 am

Cowbird wrote:
This is me all over. By the way, Einstein was definitely, totally autistic. He didn't speak until he was 4.5 years old (they assumed he was ret*d) and then went straight to full sentences. He wore the same clothes every day most of his adult life. I know someone who knows someone who took a class from him, and he would get so into his equations on the blackbord -- totally self-stimming -- that there would be no discussion at all through entire class meetings. Dude was a classic case.

Was that your friends roomates girlfriends brother-in-law who knew this person in Einsteins class? (Sorry couldn't resist that :lol: )

But yes, I agree that Einstein was most likely an Aspie or HFA. And the feeling of not belonging is quite real for me. I don't identify myself as American, just someone born there, nor as an Airman, just someone who's in the Air Force, hell, I don't even identify as human, merely a conciousness unluckily born into a human shell.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 11:01 am

I like being on my own.