Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 10:42 pm

Does anyone here have perfect pitch (also called absolute pitch)? Like I can recognize all keys on a piano except for the ones at the really high and really low ends. I have read that 1 in 10 000 people from the general population have pp (gonna use short form now) while 5% (or 1 in 20) people who are autistic have pp.

verticalmum
Raven
Raven

31 Oct 2009, 10:54 pm

wow jc6chan, Im jealous.....I am guitarist and drummer, and although it doesn't take me long to work out how to play something on guitar whenI hear it, I can't always get it first time, so no, I don't have perfect pitch.
I once played in a band with a guitarist that had perfect pitch, it was amazing.......

wow......do you play a musical intrument at all?? jealous as......
:)

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 11:19 pm

verticalmum wrote:
wow jc6chan, Im jealous.....I am guitarist and drummer, and although it doesn't take me long to work out how to play something on guitar whenI hear it, I can't always get it first time, so no, I don't have perfect pitch.
I once played in a band with a guitarist that had perfect pitch, it was amazing.......

wow......do you play a musical intrument at all?? jealous as......
:)

Ya i play the piano and violin, i stopped taking lessons in gr11 and 12 for violin and piano i think, but i still occasionally play. I think it was because of my aspergers syndrome that i had an obsession with just playing random notes on the piano and i somehow was able to recognize the notes. The weird thing was that i can't sing a note perfectly and i think it only works well with piano tones.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 11:24 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Does anyone here have perfect pitch (also called absolute pitch)? Like I can recognize all keys on a piano except for the ones at the really high and really low ends. I have read that 1 in 10 000 people from the general population have pp (gonna use short form now) while 5% (or 1 in 20) people who are autistic have pp.

yeah, I do. I can hit all the notes with my voice, too, which is also quite good.

verticalmum
Raven
Raven

31 Oct 2009, 11:41 pm

jc6chan,
thats still pretty cool though!!

sinsboldly,
woah, thats awsome!!

Boomkin
Raven
Raven

01 Nov 2009, 12:07 am

jc6chan wrote:
Ya i play the piano and violin, i stopped taking lessons in gr11 and 12 for violin and piano i think, but i still occasionally play. I think it was because of my aspergers syndrome that i had an obsession with just playing random notes on the piano and i somehow was able to recognize the notes. The weird thing was that i can't sing a note perfectly and i think it only works well with piano tones.

I also have perfect pitch. Took violin and oboe lessons for about 6 years. Coincidentally I also quit lessons around grade 12. The pressure of recitals and contests was getting to me among other things. I am also not a gifted singer!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 12:11 am

verticalmum wrote:
jc6chan,
thats still pretty cool though!!

sinsboldly,
woah, thats awsome!!

yeah, but you can't take me anywhere, because my ears are so sharp I only find pleasing harmonics in the sounds of nature around me. :( When I am in a disharmonic ambiance it is my own special torture.

verticalmum
Raven
Raven

01 Nov 2009, 12:50 am

Hi sinsboldly,
Doh, never thaught of that, of course, like when I go and see a band and the drummer is out of time or the guitars out of tune, I have to leave...must be tripple intense for you.....I get what your saying....

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 1:44 am

I have perfect pitch. As a musician, a good sense of relative pitch is more valuable. I do use my sense of pitch for a few things, but nothing that I couldn't have figured out other ways of doing.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 1:52 am

How do you know if you have perfect pitch? I played piano and violin for years, but I haven't done anything musical in over a decade and I can't remember if I did.

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 3:02 am

My nephew, who I suspect is an aspie, is a drummer and music teacher who has perfect pitch.

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 3:18 am

Sati wrote:
How do you know if you have perfect pitch? I played piano and violin for years, but I haven't done anything musical in over a decade and I can't remember if I did.

There are 2 kinds: active and passive. Passive, the more common one, is where one can identify notes upon hearing them, without having a reference pitch. Active is where one can produce any note with one's voice without having a reference pitch.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 3:39 am

That would be a giant no.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 7:42 am

I have no musical knowledge but I found a website once where you listened to familiar tunes (American mostly) like Happy Birthday etc and rated whether it was correct or incorrect. Some were only a tiny bit off and some I had to listen to again and then guess. I got a high score-like 26/30. I can tell when something is off because it makes me cringe.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 7:54 am

Aimless wrote:
I have no musical knowledge but I found a website once where you listened to familiar tunes (American mostly) like Happy Birthday etc and rated whether it was correct or incorrect. Some were only a tiny bit off and some I had to listen to again and then guess. I got a high score-like 26/30. I can tell when something is off because it makes me cringe.

what was the website?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 8:00 am

jc6chan wrote:
Aimless wrote:

what was the website?

I wish I could find it -I have a bad habit of not writing things down (or if I do losing the piece of paper) I found it by googling perfect pitch or something and I think it may have been a link from a site. I have tried recreating the search with no results.