Page 3 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 8:25 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
I think that all that's needed for that test is exposure to Western tonal music, and a decent musical ear. Familiarity with the songs shouldn't be needed. To test my theory, here are a couple of things that I just tossed off using my notation software. Since they were written 5 minutes ago, they shouldn't be familiar to anyone but me.
Which one sounds wrong?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zzmzwgdmy24/example1.wav

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u4mmm2zj0jz/example2.wav

The first file sounds fine while the second one sounds bad to my ears.

I'm curious, your second file and some of those on http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/tunetest/dtt.asp sounds really ugly to me. Do some people really can't hear anything wrong? Do these tests really test for perfect pitch?

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 11:32 pm

Quote:

Call me dumb, but I can't get any of those files for each question to play. "Click the Play button below Play example tune" it says, but where the hell is the play button??! :x

EDIT: Nevermind...installing updated quicktime player

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 12:19 am

Yay 26/26!!

I can teach myself to play anything on the keyboard/piano without knowing which notes I'm playing, but I can't hear a sound and identify the note. I can only replicate it with my voice or find the right key on the piano or keyboard.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 1:32 am

Apparently, I'm tone deaf. :)

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 4:38 am

CloudWalker wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
I think that all that's needed for that test is exposure to Western tonal music, and a decent musical ear. Familiarity with the songs shouldn't be needed. To test my theory, here are a couple of things that I just tossed off using my notation software. Since they were written 5 minutes ago, they shouldn't be familiar to anyone but me.
Which one sounds wrong?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zzmzwgdmy24/example1.wav

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u4mmm2zj0jz/example2.wav

The first file sounds fine while the second one sounds bad to my ears.

I'm curious, your second file and some of those on http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/tunetest/dtt.asp sounds really ugly to me. Do some people really can't hear anything wrong? Do these tests really test for perfect pitch?

The tune test doesn't, and my examples won't indicate perfect pitch. They will show one's familiarity with Western tonal music, but not the ability to name a note upon hearing it without first being given a reference note.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2009, 5:10 am

jc6chan wrote:
Does anyone here have perfect pitch (also called absolute pitch)? Like I can recognize all keys on a piano except for the ones at the really high and really low ends. I have read that 1 in 10 000 people from the general population have pp (gonna use short form now) while 5% (or 1 in 20) people who are autistic have pp.

Yes, I do. You'd think this might be beneficial for a musician, and in some ways it is, but it also cause problems if you work with other musicians because you can always spot even the vaguest hint of an off-key note before they do. I've played in a band with a three-guitar line-up, and if even one of those eighteen strings was slightly out, I'd hear it (even at high volumes). The other people you're working with can get irate if you continually insist on stopping a song during rehearsals just to re-tune, so I've learned to keep my mouth shut unless the mistuning is really obvious.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2017, 7:14 am

I'm probably going to get kicked in the stomach for this necropost, but here goes nothing... perhaps I can block the attack :)

Yes, I do indeed have abseloute pitch, and can tell you any note played on the piano -- or even in an orchestra. Yes, I do play the piano. No, I don't have synthesisia, and don't really get annoyed when a song isn't written in the "correct" key.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 12:52 pm

I'm not sure what I've got. Play any white note on the piano when there are no distractions and I'll name it with about 95% accuracy. I can do this even first thing in the morning when I haven't heard any kind of music, so clearly it's not just relative pitch.

It doesn't seem to be perfect/absolute though either because if you play black notes or there are distractions, my accuracy will go down significantly.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 1:12 pm

I've never learned music but I can certainly hear when something is played off key. I quite like it when a tunes played off key actually.

I probably don't have AP because I don't even know what the notes are called to be able to recognise them.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 1:36 pm

babybird wrote:
I probably don't have AP because I don't even know what the notes are called to be able to recognise them.
Note names are something you learn, perfect pitch isn't something you can learn. It's certainly harder to determine whether you have perfect pitch if you don't know what middle C.

Try this. First thing in the morning when you get up having not heard any other music, start singing a song you know well. Just the first few notes. Then start playing a recording of that song. If the notes you sang exactly match the notes that are played back, I'd say you might have perfect pitch.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 1:43 pm

∆∆ That won't be hard because I always have a so in my head when I wake up.

I'll try that tomorrow.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 1:56 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
yeah, but you can't take me anywhere, because my ears are so sharp I only find pleasing harmonics in the sounds of nature around me. :( When I am in a disharmonic ambiance it is my own special torture.

I'm with you on that one. So far as I'm concerned, the world is full of loud, ugly noises, some of them physically painful.

One of the music teachers at my secondary school had such an acute sense of hearing, if you played a note on an instrument she could write down all the harmonics.

I don't have perfect pitch, though I do have some relative pitch. If I sing a tune from a classical piece from memory and then check against a piano, I'm rarely more than a tone out. (It doesn't work with songs, as I'm in the habit of transposing them down to suit my voice better.)

Insertcoolname
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Sep 2017, 4:21 am

Perfect pitch did make for a ridiculously easy time in ear training and dictation when i was a music major. Its a blessing and a curse. When i hear out of tune music the dissonance causes me physical pain. My garage door opener tone is G. My washing machine is Bb. I do my best to ignore it nowadays haha

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 2:05 pm

Insertcoolname wrote:
Perfect pitch did make for a ridiculously easy time in ear training and dictation when i was a music major. Its a blessing and a curse. When i hear out of tune music the dissonance causes me physical pain. My garage door opener tone is G. My washing machine is Bb. I do my best to ignore it nowadays haha

That's interesting. I can here a nice tune in the fax machine noise.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 6:20 pm

There is no such thing as perfect pitch. However, I believe there is well developed relative pitch. I can prove it very easily: after getting over a cold, I can't hear pitch to save my soul.

I'm surprised, after all the issues I had with psychiatric medications, that I can still zoom in on a pitch, no thanks to all issues with tinnitus.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 8:43 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
Try this. First thing in the morning when you get up having not heard any other music, start singing a song you know well. Just the first few notes. Then start playing a recording of that song. If the notes you sang exactly match the notes that are played back, I'd say you might have perfect pitch.

That's a lot easier than just hearing a single note and being able to name it, though. At the high end of my range, I can usually tell exactly where the notes are, just by the feeling of my vocal chords, and knowing which notes my voice starts to crack on. Although someone who is very familiar with a certain instrument (like piano) might have a similar ability, just from judging the quality in the timbre of the note.

Similarly, I have a note or two that I just cannot hit when I whistle. I can hit plenty of notes below and above it, but just not that specific note. I never took the time to find out which note it is, though =)