Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 5:27 pm

racooneyes wrote:
Janissy wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:
^^ why they do it when they know it's a hopeless case, like "falling for" someone living on the other side of the globe? Why they do it?

and this is becoming a crazy trend, even among the normally social people.

I have to agree with this. To me it looks like a modern version of medieval knights pining over ladies of the castle and carrying their hankies with them on the Crusades. I'm told those knights invented what the modern conception of "romance" is so I can see the attraction. I can see it, but I can't feel it. But there are people who do feel it and pwer to them. It's just as inexplicable to me as any other sexual quirk I can barely understand, like certain fetishes.

Have you read Don Quixoté? You'd love it :o

Does seeing the musical "Man of La Mancha" count? :lol: Yes, there is something quixotic (Quixtic) about falling for somebody you wont ever meet.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 5:32 pm

I don't know what to tell you aside from that it happens? Humans are humans, whether face to face or chatting online. People can be attracted by what they see of style and personality. SIN has a good point as well - attractions usually not a choice, you can manually squash it if you want to but the feeling originating isn't something that's in your hands. Now, if you meet someone online and you click well enough that you want to be flirt-buddies, hard to think of anything wrong with that - its just ego stroking back and forth, making eachother feel attractive, I usually wouldn't date someone from an online site just because the logistics usually make no sense but if I met someone to where the connection was so electric that meeting her was instant phase II thinking - in that case I probably would intend to make something of it, hasn't happened yet though.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 5:35 pm

zena4 wrote:
What was your purpose?

Probably to cause trouble, and/or cause a flame war, as seems to be his wont elsewhere at WP... :roll: :evil:

~Steve Jobs

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 5:54 pm

SINsister wrote:
zena4 wrote:
What was your purpose?

Probably to cause trouble, and/or cause a flame war, as seems to be his wont elsewhere at WP... :roll: :evil:

I don't think its so much that as a mix of snarkiness and gooberishness which makes for a rather akward snarkiness as an end result.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 6:11 pm

Hehe...goober. :wink:

~Steve Jobs

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 8:44 pm

Well, LPP - if it was indeed him, and I guess I have no reason to believe that it wasn't - has personally informed me that he's been banned from WP. He asked that I pass this message along for him, in case anyone wondered, down the road, what'd become of him.

Now, LPP *was* often annoying, a nuisance, and a bit of a pain in the ass, but I had NO desire to see him banned, or even reprimanded. If his being banned is in any way my fault, I apologize.

Mods? :(

~Steve Jobs

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 8:57 pm

Was that a eulogy? If so it wasn't bad for a first try.

Observer20
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Nov 2009, 8:58 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
To people who had/have e-crush over someone they only knew/know online, why do you even do it?

I think its pretty foolish to fall for someone who you haven't even met in person. People can be whatever they want to be on the internet.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 9:12 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

You lost me..? 8O

~Steve Jobs

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 9:22 pm

SINsister wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

You lost me..? 8O

Lol, jk, just the cadence of your delivery.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 9:24 pm

Observer20 wrote:
I think its pretty foolish to fall for someone who you haven't even met in person. People can be whatever they want to be on the internet.

People can be nearly as deceitful in person. Granted not to the extent allowed via chatting online. I think the kind of people who would lie in a bar saying they are a doctor are the kind of people who would do it online. Personally, I find it much more comfortable to be more myself online. It just feels like there is less to lose.

The problem with the whole "e" thing is you really cant fully grasp a connection and "chemistry" online.
But I dont see it as a bad thing to start off down that road. It's just another means to the end, if the end is a meaningful relationship.

How many people developed crushes on some girl or guy in school without knowing them? Just cause you sat a few rows behind them in math class? or they were a cheerleader or captain of the basketball team? You developed those crushes without knowing or talking to that person. Well, an 'e' crush is similar, you develop a crush on someone through getting to know them, but without meeting them. Two sides of the same coin.
And you can make the arguement that those kinds of crushes are silly, but how many of the people who are in long successful marriages got into their relationship before developing a crush on one-another? I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people (outside the arranged marriages) that didnt.

Tons of relationships start out with crushes, developing feelings for one another based simply on meeting each other. And you take it to the next step to see if that physical connection can work mentally. And again to the earlier point, in the "e" case, you see if that mental connection can work as a physical one. Of course that is with the understanding that the "e" relationship is not purely an "e" relationship. That I think is useless, and posted about it a few weeks ago. You really have to meet, the "e" part is just another method of meeting. Like I said before, you can meet someone online, just the same as you would meet someone in a bar, but you wouldnt only continue that relationship online just as you wouldnt only have a relationship with someone in the same bar you met.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 9:28 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
SINsister wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

You lost me..? 8O

Lol, jk, just the cadence of your delivery.

Ahhh...yes, I can't help the rather-formal prosody. I tend to speak this way in "real life," too. Meh. :?

~Steve Jobs

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 10:17 pm

Observer20 wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:
To people who had/have e-crush over someone they only knew/know online, why do you even do it?

People can lie offline too, you know. The fact that one is in someone's presence doesn't magically make one know anything more about them.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 9:42 am

E-crushes and e-love are the preserve of the most conservative people.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 9:45 am

Keeno wrote:
E-crushes and e-love are the preserve of the most conservative people.

How do you figure?

~Steve Jobs

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 12:01 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
[People can lie offline too, you know. The fact that one is in someone's presence doesn't magically make one know anything more about them.

I disagree. When you are insomeone's presence you do know more about them. Nothing magic about it. You can see what they look like, which automatically negates about a thousand lies that are possible online.