Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

homo_aspien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2009, 12:52 am

I went to the zoo today. The only animals I didn't like were the humans.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2009, 1:18 am

I hear ya! Especially the loud ones who shove.

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2009, 1:44 am

I like your username, Homo Aspien! :) I bet when the whole autistic spectrum speciates from the neurotypicals due to assortative mating, that's what the scientist who decides they've "discovered us" as a species calls us!

Mind you, we'll probably have all the top scientists...

homo_aspien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2009, 3:21 am

Aietra wrote:
I like your username, Homo Aspien! :) I bet when the whole autistic spectrum speciates from the neurotypicals due to assortative mating, that's what the scientist who decides they've "discovered us" as a species calls us!

I chose it because it's an anagram which requires the moving of only one letter.:D

Last edited by homo_aspien on 02 Nov 2009, 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2009, 3:22 am

I share that view.

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2009, 3:45 am

homo_aspien wrote:
Aietra wrote:

I chose it because it's an anagram which requires the moving of only one letter.:D

Yup, figured that. Very witty, very clever. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2009, 3:50 am

I feel the same way, when I'm at the zoo.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2009, 4:47 pm

I see what you mean. Unfortunately it's not always just at the zoo though.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

heliocopters
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Nov 2009, 4:51 pm

It actually makes me really sad to go to the zoo because I always think like an animal rights activist: I love these animals and I don't want them to be caged up and gawked at and I'm sure they don't either. Then I get really angry at humans.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2009, 5:04 pm

heliocopters wrote:
It actually makes me really sad to go to the zoo because I always think like an animal rights activist: I love these animals and I don't want them to be caged up and gawked at and I'm sure they don't either. Then I get really angry at humans.

Ditto.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2009, 10:22 pm

I used to intern at a zoo. My specialty in my time there was the GLT Rehabilitation Program. Captive-born golden lion tamarins were allowed to be free-ranging in the zoo, undergoing observation and environmental conditioning for eventual monitored release into their native Brazil.

So that was nice. But I always felt good about telling whiny zoo guests with their loud children that an animal was not out/visible for their own well-being, and that they, not the guests, were our primary concern and purpose.

homo_aspien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2009, 12:31 am

The good thing that happened yesterday was that I got to spend a lot of time watching the nice primates. The best ones were the Orangutans whose enclosure includes a large floor-to-ceiling see-through perspex viewing section. The Orangutans were totally ignoring the humans who were gawking at them and tapping on the windows in an attempt to get their attention so I decided to sit on the floor by the window with my head down in a submissive pose. I was watching one of the females out of the corner of my eye and after a while she noticed me sitting quietly. After about 10 minutes she came right over to the window and put her face level with mine. All the other humans got very excited about this and were shouting and running around but I just stayed there and avoided direct eye contact. Then, having decided I wasn't a threat, she scooped up the two very large armfuls of straw that were piled against her side of the window and carried them out of reach just to make sure I knew my place.
I still feel really good about that. :D

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 12:45 am

I prefer aquariums to a zoo they always have a calming ambiance plus I love to see the sharks and rays.

I personally love the concept of sharks, They must keep moving to live and such.

I myself share your views I hate loud humans, too much focus on being loud. I personally try to avoid yelling at all cause I hate the ideal of peeing in the ocean of urine

homo_aspien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2009, 1:10 am

+1 I zone right out at the aquarium.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 1:43 am

Oooh, I love the aquarium, the one I go to has a big long cave/tunnel with rock walls and big windows into a big fish tank with all sorts of stuff swimming around. It's also got a huge dome with BIG fish swimming over your head.

I don't really mind the people at the aquarium or zoo, except that sometimes it's hard to find a place to stand to get a good look. But that's not their fault, it's just what happens when there are too many people and not enough space.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 2:25 am

wigglyspider wrote:
Oooh, I love the aquarium, the one I go to has a big long cave/tunnel with rock walls and big windows into a big fish tank with all sorts of stuff swimming around. It's also got a huge dome with BIG fish swimming over your head.

I don't really mind the people at the aquarium or zoo, except that sometimes it's hard to find a place to stand to get a good look. But that's not their fault, it's just what happens when there are too many people and not enough space.

Love that too especially when the sharks or rays get close while you're in the tunnel my little brother used to believe the ray's face was entirely on it's underside due to the nostrils looking like eyes