1001 Topics of Conversation to Avoid: Social Taboos

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2006, 12:54 am

mikibacsi1124 wrote:
I would say that with some of these, it would depend on the people you talk to, the circumstances, and the nature of the conversation. I wouldn't talk about any of this with a total stranger, my boss, or my elders. And some of the more graphic stuff mentioned here is definitely out. But I think that, for example, a casual, lighthearted conversation about sex, nudity or bodily substances with some of my college-age peers (male and/or female) is generally fair game.

Without talking about sex, all you'd have to talk about is beer and pizza. That would get old fast!! :lol: :roll: :lol:

tefting
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Aug 2006, 2:42 pm

Pretty much any psychological disorders or physical deformities. I've found that there are some things, that if you merely mention them, you get accused of having them. Examples include eating disorders and being intersexed. You're especially vulnerable to accusations if you "know too much".

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 3:44 pm

-Money issues.
-Anything related to your topic of interest that the layperson wouldn't know about.

tefting

27 Aug 2006, 8:14 pm

superfantastic wrote:
-Anything related to your topic of interest that the layperson wouldn't know about.

Isn't part of the problem that if you're on the spectrum you may not have any idea what a "lay person" would know or who even is a "lay person". For example. If you're 14, you would have know way of knowing how much your classmate knows about the work of Max Weber

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 8:33 pm

IMO part of the reason these things are "taboo" is because to the average NT, its not as interesting as to what some celeb wore, or who she went out with, ect.. They want to talk about the same stuff over and over.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2006, 6:40 am

KenM wrote:
IMO part of the reason these things are "taboo" is because to the average NT, its not as interesting as to what some celeb wore, or who she went out with, ect.. They want to talk about the same stuff over and over.

Bit of an unfair generalisation, IMO. I'm definitely NOT comfortable - no matter WHO is talking about it, even people I like - talking about bodily fluids, anal and oral sex [especially the latter, just the thought of it makes me ill], and I would not be impressed if someone spoke with me, with great relish, about rapes or physical abuse. Sorry, no go. If that makes me an "average NT", so be it.

Not all NTs are shallow, and I'm sure the same thing goes with people on the spectrum - not all people on the spectrum want to talk about these topics, let alone go into detail.

Everyone has their own sensitivities, the trick is to test people's boundaries. I've noticed that people usually don't go directly into explicit detail, but instead may make vague statements about a "taboo" topic. Then they'll slowly go into details until one person will say, "stop!" and the topic changes.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 1:30 pm

Talking about sick is taboo?
You need to talk to some of my friends.
We once just stood there discussing what colour ours was. :lol:

I would like to quote a proverb for number 16:
It is bad manners to talk about ropes in the house of a man whose father was hanged.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 2:36 pm

there was this girl I was seeing for awhile and one day out of nowhere she asked me what my fantasy was and I didn't want to seem like a dork and say I didnt have one so i made something up and it sounded good at the time but I think it digusted her or something...we haven't talked in over a month :(

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 8:34 pm

Appropriate topics anyone?

Sometimes I'd rather have myself a nice big cup of Shut The **** Up (as seen in this thread: http://www.wrongplanet.net/asperger.htm ... g&start=15 ) and scope out what kind of people these are around me at the time and place, and then decide from there if I want to be any part of it.

Some people and some conversations are just not worth the bother being part of and that especially goes with strangers whom we don't necessarily know or trust that well. A lot of these mundane sorts that talk about mundane things and about other people are best ignored.

From what I see on this thread, I get the impression a lot of you are trying to relate to shallow types who can't relate to us if their lives depended on it.

So... what are they talking about? Subjects you are familiar / passionate about? Ideas? Solutions to specific problems? Something they saw on Discovery or History Channel for example? How do you feel being part of the entourage? Deep thinkers and scholarly types tend to be more compatible for Aspies to hang out with.

These are just a few ideas. You be the judge as to what kind of people you want to surround yourself with.

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2006, 7:56 am

These are subjects I have discussed with people where they have laughed, grimaced, changed the subject, or told me to shut the **** up. However, with different people I have had a lkong and interesting discussion on the subject.

Tapeworm, Malaria, Botflies and other invasive human parasites.
Head Lice
Fleas (on cats)
Survival Situations:Cannibalism of dead bodies: Would you or wouldn't You?
Different humerous Names for Vomiting
Viral Infections
Organ Transplants

That's a few of those I can currently remember.
JulieArticuno

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 2:57 pm

JulieArticuno wrote:
Survival Situations:Cannibalism of dead bodies: Would you or wouldn't You?

Also, most other "Would you or wouldn't You" questions related to tough decisions ("if you had to, would you rather steal or prostitute yourself?" - well, that's easy but you get the point).

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 7:25 pm

Humerous names for vomit?

"Technicolour yawn" is the one that always makes me laugh :D

In a male conversation you can say pretty much anything to close friends provided you are perceived to be joking. In some environments loud-mouthed crudity is positively encouraged!

In a female conversation you can say pretty much anything to close friends provided you say it in a quiet voice and it's obvious you're serious.

In a mixed group you'll never get anywhere - don't even try it. As no-one is supposed to know that
a). girls can be very graphic, and
b). men can be very serious,
both sexes will immediately go into denial, the conversation will disintegrate and you'll be left feeling embarrassed.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 9:42 pm

A lot of people don't seem to want to hear a great deal of scientific information or statistics. Some men seem to like sports statistics so that kind may be safe.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 11:13 am

It's my opinion that almost any topic can suddenly become taboo if you go into it more 'deeply' that you're supposed to. For instance, it's acceptable to say that you saw a particular movie and enjoyed it, and mention a few plot points or how cute you thought the leading actor was, but once you start on in-depth psychological/character/moral analysis, you can see the puzzled and amused looks begin.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 2:28 pm

Oh, I love talking about statistics. Well, thanks, now I know I should avoid it (I was probably boring everyone's pants off).

Megaman261
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Sep 2017, 9:04 pm

Wearing shoes inside.