University Math A LOT Harder Than High School Math?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 6:45 pm

jc6chan wrote:
deep-techno wrote:
In the UK, I'm doing A-levels (UK pre-university qualification - usually people do 3 or 4) in Maths and Further Maths (both to A2). Normal Maths isn't that challenging, but Further Maths goes into topics that will be most likely met in first year university level mathematics. However most UK universities don't require Further Maths since the first few weeks' work assumes that not everyone has done it.

I'm doing the OCR-MEI course, you can see the past papers here to see how it bridges unviersity level mathematics (I don't do ALL of the modules):

HERE ARE THE PAPERS!

I will have done C1 to C4, M1 to M3, D1, S1, NM, FP1 and FP2. FP3 is the hardest of the lot but it matches a few topics from first year university level mathematics.

C1 doesn't look too hard. I'm in 2nd year university BTW.

Yeah C1 is easy - it's the first ever A-level maths module every student does. It's mostly content from GCSE as well.

Goren
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jan 2010, 10:34 pm

jc6chan wrote:
deep-techno wrote:
In the UK, I'm doing A-levels (UK pre-university qualification - usually people do 3 or 4) in Maths and Further Maths (both to A2). Normal Maths isn't that challenging, but Further Maths goes into topics that will be most likely met in first year university level mathematics. However most UK universities don't require Further Maths since the first few weeks' work assumes that not everyone has done it.

I'm doing the OCR-MEI course, you can see the past papers here to see how it bridges unviersity level mathematics (I don't do ALL of the modules):

HERE ARE THE PAPERS!

I will have done C1 to C4, M1 to M3, D1, S1, NM, FP1 and FP2. FP3 is the hardest of the lot but it matches a few topics from first year university level mathematics.

C1 doesn't look too hard. I'm in 2nd year university BTW.

They are all kinda easy, actually. I can do anything level 1 and 2 anytime without any learning, levels 3 and 4, however, would require some additional research. Such is, I guess, my level of maths knowledge right now.

Laar

26 Jan 2010, 6:11 pm

I know, but that's what I like about it. Though I have to as I'm studying applied mathematics. One of the problems for most is the speed at which it is taught. The other problem is that you have to understand what you are doing. On the contrast high school maths is just applying a few tricks to the equation and then you have an answer, not really knowing what you are doing (for about 99,9% of the students).

au
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jan 2010, 3:39 am

i'm in canada, too. what school do you go to OP? i'm planning on majoring math, too. i did well in high school, but it's the other way around now, regardless of any subject.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 3:49 pm

au wrote:
i'm in canada, too. what school do you go to OP? i'm planning on majoring math, too. i did well in high school, but it's the other way around now, regardless of any subject.
I go to University of Waterloo but I switched to Honours Science.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 5:46 am

That is college level math?

Well, I feel much better now... I would have expected more theory, more discussion of advanced geometries, and something beyond basic newtonian mechanics...

>.<

jefe

17 Feb 2010, 10:32 pm

It's like anything else, you've just gotta work hard. Honestly, math in college was my forte so maybe I'm biased (tho I tested out of English too, and I had trouble with English in H.S.). I guess my hardest class so far has been either Thermodynamics (which in retrospect is easy) or Graphics in Engineering (which just takes practice).

So, work hard and soldier on!