Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NUTSY
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2009, 7:44 am

First of all, sorry for the awkward title.

You guys knows the traits right?
Obsession,ritualized patterns..etc
I had an obsession with snakes and did the same thing over and over as a child
My family would mock me as 'stiff' and 'robotic' and got pissed if I won't look in the eyes.
People would also call me a freak

But as I grow older,currently in my teenage years,
I have no obsession AT ALL. I tried to look people in the eyes and I must say that sometimes it's not really hard.

Somehow my mom stopped calling me 'stiff' and lately a friend was commenting to some people's weird way of walking,
and I asked her 'what do you think about how I walk?' And she said 'Nah, you're normal'
I was like...whoa
As people sometimes makes fun of the way I walk

So what do you think?
Is it a proof that AS' effect can decrease? I didn't take any medication at all

JohnnyD017
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2009, 8:25 am

I'm in the same boat as you. Apparently i had problems with eye contact sometimes when i was younger. But yeah it became a natural thing once i started it. I think most of my lack of eye contact was cos i was worried people would think i was staring. :roll:

About a month ago someone told me about theory of mind and that people with AS have trouble with it and im like "what the hell?". It just hadnt occurred to me as being a problem.

Kids often have obsessions they grow out of. My cousin who is almost 10 is crazy about fishing but i doubt its abnormal and hell be over it sometime. Adult obsessions are harder to pinpoint cos everyone has a hobby. I dunno what they class as being ritualistic, etc. I started some things that would be regarded as repetitive but i never managed got very far with any of them.

I made mistakes regarding interacting with girls when i was younger buuut i dont do those now. :roll:

Hehe I remember i used to make fun of a kid in primary school for walking funny and not once did anyone say anything like "you're one to talk!" or things like that so i assume im ok with that.

Maybe some of these issues that are automatically solved are just things that havent developed normally cos of lack of experience/confidence and once you get into them the problem is fixed just like that. *snaps fingers*

NUTSY
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2009, 10:35 am

JohnnyD017 wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you. Apparently i had problems with eye contact sometimes when i was younger. But yeah it became a natural thing once i started it. I think most of my lack of eye contact was cos i was worried people would think i was staring. :roll:

About a month ago someone told me about theory of mind and that people with AS have trouble with it and im like "what the hell?". It just hadnt occurred to me as being a problem.

Kids often have obsessions they grow out of. My cousin who is almost 10 is crazy about fishing but i doubt its abnormal and hell be over it sometime. Adult obsessions are harder to pinpoint cos everyone has a hobby. I dunno what they class as being ritualistic, etc. I started some things that would be regarded as repetitive but i never managed got very far with any of them.

I made mistakes regarding interacting with girls when i was younger buuut i dont do those now. :roll:

Hehe I remember i used to make fun of a kid in primary school for walking funny and not once did anyone say anything like "you're one to talk!" or things like that so i assume im ok with that.

Maybe some of these issues that are automatically solved are just things that havent developed normally cos of lack of experience/confidence and once you get into them the problem is fixed just like that. *snaps fingers*

Yes I agree with you!
Especially the last part, IMHO I think most of the people here makes a really big deal out of their AS and makes themself depressed..

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 10:51 am

Sometimes it IS a big deal. No reason to make yourself depressed, but still a big deal.

Anyway, no, this isn't AS "getting better". This is normal development. People naturally become more capable as they grow older; and if they had mild AS as children, they may not be diagnosable as autistic at all in adulthood.

You can have all the experience and confidence in the world, but autistic deficits are real and not just a result of lack of practice; that's why it's called "autism" and not "social phobia". You can have both, of course, but the existence of autistic people who are not socially anxious kind of counters the idea that this is just lack of practice. Not that practice won't make you better at it; but lack of practice isn't the cause.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

14 Nov 2009, 11:02 am

NUTSY wrote:
First of all, sorry for the awkward title.

You guys knows the traits right?
Obsession,ritualized patterns..etc
I had an obsession with snakes and did the same thing over and over as a child
My family would mock me as 'stiff' and 'robotic' and got pissed if I won't look in the eyes.
People would also call me a freak

But as I grow older,currently in my teenage years,
I have no obsession AT ALL. I tried to look people in the eyes and I must say that sometimes it's not really hard.

Somehow my mom stopped calling me 'stiff' and lately a friend was commenting to some people's weird way of walking,
and I asked her 'what do you think about how I walk?' And she said 'Nah, you're normal'
I was like...whoa
As people sometimes makes fun of the way I walk

So what do you think?
Is it a proof that AS' effect can decrease? I didn't take any medication at all

I think AS symptoms lessen as you get older. We all learn to cope and if we work at it, we get better. Sometimes we need therapy to change such as for sensory issues and balance. Sometimes it takes a therapist to change too because they give you coping methods and teach you breathing exercise. But I have wondered the milder you are, the sooner you get better and the easier it is to cope and outgrow the traits. I am close to normal according to my parents and that means I can get better if I work at it and do it. Then bam I might not have AS anymore and then my mom says I will always have it? Sounds contradicting.
Hey I get sarcasm better now and I just grasped that sarcasm is another way of making fun of someone. So now I don't know if I am being made fun of if someone is sarcastic with me. Am I making fun of people if I am sarcastic about them?
I also know sarcasm is when you say the opposite of what you mean and it can be another word for joke.
Who knows how better I will be ten years down the road with my condition. Maybe someday I won't really have it and will have traits just like everyone else.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 11:11 am

What you'll have down the road would be sub-clinical or sub-threshold autistic traits. That is what happens when people with a smaller amount of autism than most autistics grow up and learn what they are missing--kind of the way somebody with mild dyslexia might practice often and learn to read about as well as the average person who doesn't specifically practice.

Your parents are ironically right on both counts: You can lose your diagnosis, but you'll always be autistic. When I refer to "autistic" I'm of course referring to the way your brain has developmentally wired itself; this is different from how a typical person's works. You can probably train it to do the same things, if you are indeed closer to typical than most; but chances are you'll always have that different cognitive style. And, I guess, you may also remain culturally Autistic, like some of the adults here who are borderline or no longer qualify for diagnosis, but were definitely Aspies as kids.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

_LiquidHydrogen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2009, 11:16 am

Sorry, but I disagree. I don't think AS/Autism could increase or decrease in any form. From my viewpoint, you're merely gaining more confidence in yourself and your actions, which is great news nonetheless. But as JohnnyD017 correctly said, children with or without AS develop obsessions with topics or things that may appeal to them, but can grow out of them at the same speed they developed. Your social skills also improve as you get older and as you do it more often, although of course it takes a lot of courage to dip your toes into the social world's waters at first.

It's a slow process, but confidence in others and your social ability builds up over time, although you will always have Asperger's Syndrome whether it remains a diagnosis or not. As I've found out for myself, obsessions for particular topics or items can sometimes recur, although these will often die out faster than before.

HarryHaller
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2009, 11:24 am

My AS got better. It took time, but before it did I was told that I would only get worse. I can look people in the eye as long as I need to but they never complain when I don't. Remember one thing, if you can convince people you are normal then the most they can think of you is you are just weird.

budgenator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2009, 11:37 am

There is no reason too assume that just because you have a neurological predisposition to develop certain skills later than others that you'll never develop them. There are some things we develop before the NTs and we'll always have an advantage with them as there are somethings the Nts develop before us and they'll always have an advantage with them. I've noticed on some days I'm very close to normal and on others I'm very aspie.

HarryHaller
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2009, 12:24 pm

budgenator wrote:
There is no reason too assume that just because you have a neurological predisposition to develop certain skills later than others that you'll never develop them. There are some things we develop before the NTs and we'll always have an advantage with them as there are somethings the Nts develop before us and they'll always have an advantage with them. I've noticed on some days I'm very close to normal and on others I'm very aspie.

I used to obsess about all kinds of things, now my interests became diverse over time. I just miss whenever I could obsess about things, and my mom told me that she misses it too because it made me happy. Well, I am not saying that I necessarily have an advantage or disadvantage, just that I am not as much of a black sheep anymore. I am one of those aspies that agrees to keep AS a secret, and then people can just assume I am weird. Although, this does become frustrating when I need psychological help because then they just think that I am lying to them. I only tell people I really trust that I have AS, and so far I know that I tell the right kind of people because they don't end up judging me afterward. Although, I did have one girl who thought I was lying to her. It's very frustrating.

NUTSY
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2009, 2:55 pm

Callista wrote:
Sometimes it IS a big deal. No reason to make yourself depressed, but still a big deal.

Actually yes it COULD make people depressed.
When I first discovered it, I turned all blue and repeatedly said to myself 'oh I'm not normal,I'm not like the other kids' and cried everytime I read about aspie traits. Quiet bad right?

But lately I've learned to accept it and keeping an 'hey it's okay' mindset and managed to be happy
But I saw some people are like,being negative and blaming everything to their AS,such as self harming :(

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 3:42 pm

Symptoms of AS can appear to decrease in intensity and things become easier when you get older. It may be because you learn to adapt. The AS never goes away though.

JohnnyD017
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2009, 6:13 am

NUTSY wrote:
Yes I agree with you!
Especially the last part, IMHO I think most of the people here makes a really big deal out of their AS and makes themself depressed..

Yep I agree that the 'hole you can't get out of' way of thinking is what makes us depressed. Everytime im told i cant change and that theres no cure, of course i get depressed.

Callista wrote:

Anyway, no, this isn't AS "getting better". This is normal development. People naturally become more capable as they grow older; and if they had mild AS as children, they may not be diagnosable as autistic at all in adulthood.

You can have all the experience and confidence in the world, but autistic deficits are real and not just a result of lack of practice; that's why it's called "autism" and not "social phobia". You can have both, of course, but the existence of autistic people who are not socially anxious kind of counters the idea that this is just lack of practice. Not that practice won't make you better at it; but lack of practice isn't the cause.

What i meant to say was some of our skills may have a delayed development but may still develop fully eventually. As in you're not just pretending you dont have this problem when underneath you still have it, but instead you really DONT have this problem anymore. You may be thinking of social acting skills. Yes those are more of a work around rather than fixing the root of the problem because you think about it in a different way. But some other stuff like motor skills, eye contact, etc, can be brought up to a normal level naturally if you have the same amount of time to develop them as normal people do.

I say if you're not diagnosable, you might as well not have it anymore. It doesnt really exist anyway, right? Barring certain key traits (theory of mind impairment, alexithymia, sensory, etc.), the rest of it is just a collection of random systematising, introvert and social anxiety traits and you're diagnosed if you have enough of them. Id go so far as to say people should not be diagnosed unless they have issues in some of these root areas.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 6:28 pm

For me social problems and OCD went better being older. I simply have more experience and more judgement now. Sensory issues get worse because it is mainly related to stress and I'm far more stressed by work and my young daughter now than when I was younger.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 9:33 am

It definitely can. I've experienced this myself with my sensory issues. I used to not be able to get in a hottub without feeling like I was on fire, but now the only thing like that I notice is I have to wait a little longer than other people to drink hot chocolate.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2009, 10:26 am

I feel mine didnt until I accepted AS and learnt more about it. It was only since then that social interaction has improved for me. I think the knowledge has allowed me to learn from social interactions instead of just staying confused.