We should use Aspie Affection.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 4:09 am

We really need an active dating site for Aspies, as I imagine that would fill a lot of use for our community. The problem is that we have one, Aspie Affection, but it's never used. My solution? Use what we have.

I'm serious on this one. If enough people logged in on a daily or semi-daily basis, it would provide the traffic needed to keep the site alive. Our community has grown exponentially, and in the process Aspie Affection has withered. We have the members needed to keep it alive, if people simply use it!

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 4:16 am

I´m going to agree with this post, everyone should join up or log in every once in awhile. It´s not going to help the traffic or anything by not doing that, at least. I have no need for this it´s just a good suggestion for those whining about being without dates/sex.

wormsto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2009, 6:01 am

we do indeed need one.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 6:47 am

I used to use aspie affection but it was very annoying as when you post a message it often 'dissapeard' and that was crazy making.

Also I would get odd messages saying 'I know you like cooking, I also like cooking' and I had nothing on my profile about likeing cooking so i dont know what that was about.

The profile thing does not have enough space or right questions to put about yourself properly (ok cupids one is better) and aswell aspie guys just write because Im female, even if they have nothing in common.

I understand that it does not have the resourses to do matching like match.com or okcupid but it could at least have a myersbrigg character profiling link.

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 6:56 am

lotusblossom wrote:
I used to use aspie affection but it was very annoying as when you post a message it often 'dissapeard' and that was crazy making.

Also I would get odd messages saying 'I know you like cooking, I also like cooking' and I had nothing on my profile about likeing cooking so i dont know what that was about.

The profile thing does not have enough space or right questions to put about yourself properly (ok cupids one is better) and aswell aspie guys just write because Im female, even if they have nothing in common.

I understand that it does not have the resourses to do matching like match.com or okcupid but it could at least have a myersbrigg character profiling link.

Does anyone have an idea for alternatives? Maybe we could create a 'profile list' of some sort, sorting by age and gender?

I can do the work to maintain a thread, but I already tried one for local meetings, and nobody ever responded. The only people who ever got on the list were ones I personally PMed.

If it's what people want, I can figure something out, but again, that depends on whether people really want it.

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2009, 10:20 am

As with any internet dating site, the men are going to greatly outnumber the women.

Which means if you want it to get anywhere, you're going have to figure out some way to make it at least no worse than other internet dating sites from the point of view of the female user base.

I clicked over and did a quick search on men in a suitable age range, and glancing over the results, overwhelmingly saw that they'd not logged in for some time. If I were looking to open an account on an internet dating site, right from that I'd pick a different one.

The above point about senseless messages and guys who message *any* female is also important. I get can get that on any site, so I may as well go with a much bigger site to increase my chances of finding someone who doesn't behave that way. Since you're offering much smaller numbers, the quality of the experience offered needs to be a bit higher if you want to attract a female user base.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 10:22 am

Affectionate Aspies topic

Men outnumber women? 8O

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2009, 10:31 am

sartresue wrote:
Men outnumber women? 8O

On internet dating sites, overwhelmingly so.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 11:08 am

HH wrote:
As with any internet dating site, the men are going to greatly outnumber the women.

Which means if you want it to get anywhere, you're going have to figure out some way to make it at least no worse than other internet dating sites from the point of view of the female user base.

I clicked over and did a quick search on men in a suitable age range, and glancing over the results, overwhelmingly saw that they'd not logged in for some time. If I were looking to open an account on an internet dating site, right from that I'd pick a different one.

The above point about senseless messages and guys who message *any* female is also important. I get can get that on any site, so I may as well go with a much bigger site to increase my chances of finding someone who doesn't behave that way. Since you're offering much smaller numbers, the quality of the experience offered needs to be a bit higher if you want to attract a female user base.

yes Ive found that men on dating sites (or any other places they are on the 'pull') tend to mostly message any woman and I dont want to be any woman, but special. My last boyfriend was just desperate for any girlfriend and did not really like me as a person and Im not going to make that mistake again.

too often men just go for someone that they like the photo of and then try and change them to fit the mould of their ideal partner.

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2009, 11:19 am

lotusblossom wrote:
too often men just go for someone that they like the photo of and then try and change them to fit the mould of their ideal partner.

Exactly -- I get too much of this in real life already; I don't need it on the internet as well.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 1:20 pm

I tryed Aspie Affection before. Even when it was pretty new, they had some of those fake bot type profiles on it that led you to other dating sites. Thats the problem with most dating sites IMO alot of the profiles on there are not real.

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2009, 2:22 pm

CerebralDreamer wrote:
We really need an active dating site for Aspies, as I imagine that would fill a lot of use for our community. The problem is that we have one, Aspie Affection, but it's never used. My solution? Use what we have.

I'm serious on this one. If enough people logged in on a daily or semi-daily basis, it would provide the traffic needed to keep the site alive. Our community has grown exponentially, and in the process Aspie Affection has withered. We have the members needed to keep it alive, if people simply use it!

Something to take up with the male user base is whether they are really willing to do the work of using such a site. Internet dating requires an extremely high tolerance for failure, especially for men, and I get the impression that many of the male members here have an extremely low tolerance for failure, too much so to make internet dating work for them.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 2:24 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
HH wrote:

yes Ive found that men on dating sites (or any other places they are on the 'pull') tend to mostly message any woman and I dont want to be any woman, but special. My last boyfriend was just desperate for any girlfriend and did not really like me as a person and Im not going to make that mistake again.

That is what I am worried that people are doing to me.

This thread illustrates my situation:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt111830.html

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

david_42
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2009, 2:55 pm

Although I agree in principle, even if all forum members were in Aspie Affection, the odds of there being a women in my age bracket, in my area, would still be so low that there wouldn't be any point in looking.

Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 12:35 pm

I have an account registered over there, but I can't stomach messaging someone (first) perhaps i'm embarrassing overly shy, but eh, what can I do.

1,400 men to 400 or so girls is a big difference though..

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Nov 2009, 3:02 pm

I just created an account, and tried searching in my area, not one result came back.. :(

I really do want to start actually loving, and the real way (actually enjoying time with the girl, not that crap that's been going on before).