Does anyone else find it really hard to focus in school?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 9:13 am

I can't stay focused on my assignments. Every time I try to do my calculus homework, I get really frustrated with it and have to stop. I'm way behind and I think I'm going to fail.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 10:40 am

I have a son who has the same problem -- although he can finish homework assignments. Those get done because we as his parents are there to redirect him when he gets off task. He takes a long time, but they get done. I think he would complain that he just cannot pay attention IN class. This also makes the homework take longer.

ForsakenEagle
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2009, 12:50 pm

I find the hardest part for me is getting started, getting into the rhythm. After I force myself to concentrate on my work for a short while, I can get things done.

mirna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2009, 1:03 pm

this only happened to me when I was anxious.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 7:23 pm

mirna wrote:
this only happened to me when I was anxious.

That's exactly what happens to me... There was this day when I got into a serious argument with my girlfriend at the time. I found it so hard to concentrate that I was even behind on my school work.... I even had alot of complaints from the teachers but it isn't such of a problem as it was a special needs school.

I would also cry without anybody knowing, I would also feel sick aswell and all I would be thinking about is roxanne all in my head until she made up with me. :lol:

I look back now thinking, why did I do that? I nearly ruined my chances of going to college... Now that i'm in college, im trying to concentrate hard on my work and yet I still find it hard to concentrate when I talk too much to my mates :)

Zeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 11:08 pm

ForsakenEagle wrote:
I find the hardest part for me is getting started, getting into the rhythm. After I force myself to concentrate on my work for a short while, I can get things done.

It's the same for me. I have to force myself to start but once I start I don't stop until I'm done or distracted.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 2:21 pm

Ya, I find it really hard to focus on my schoolwork especially when WP is so addicting.

silvskaterdude
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2009, 11:59 am

defnelty i am always talking to somone else, thinking about something else ,can't sti still need a walk and mostly to hyper about something to even do anything but disrupt.

Snoopz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2009, 12:14 pm

Throughout junior school my daughters IEP (Individual Ed. plan) target has always been 'stay on task'. She finds this really difficult unless someone is keeping a close eye on her. With her maths work she just loses the plot and gets upset and frustrated unless someone sits with her and breaks down the work in small sections for her to focus on a part at a time. Her literacy work is excellent and she does some amazing pieces of writing but it usually not what she has been asked to do. It seems she only hears the part of the instruction that appeals to her and then runs with that. Things have gotten harder now she is at high school and has so many different teachers whereas at junior school she just had one or two teachers who knew her very well. I really hope you find a way that works for you with your calculus.

anthony456
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Dec 2009, 1:07 am

I did, but I was tested and found that I also have ADHD-Predominately Inattentive. So now I take Concerta and I am doing a lot better. I heard that many people with asperger's also have ADHD.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2009, 5:50 am

ME!

I hated school because it's so hard to focus in classes! Either classes were too easy or... just plain boring!

I should have been homeschooled man. :P :'(

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2009, 3:46 pm

Yes, it takes me about 3 times longer to do my homework. I compared the time it took me to do a lab with a friend. It took me 3 hours while it took my friend 1 hour. I study a lot, though. I used to spend almost all of my time studying, including weekends. I still wasn't satisfied with my results, because I felt like I was putting much more into it than those around me and not getting as much out of it than other people, who don't seem to spend as much time on their studies as me. I know that they don't, because many people worked or hung out with friends in their free time. I did not let myself have free time at all. All of this hard work just caused me to rise from an underachiever to an average student. When I was an underachiever, I spent a fair amount of time on schoolwork (2 hours per day). When I started working harder, I spent 7 hours on schoolwork during weekdays and around 9 to 10 hours on weekends. It's unfair.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Zeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2009, 4:37 pm

anthony456 wrote:
I heard that many people with asperger's also have ADHD.

Not true. If you are diagnosed with Aspergers then you cannot be diagnsoed with ADHD. One of the prerequisits (or however you spell it) is that you can't have been diagnosed with a different mental condition. Although the two are closely linked

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2009, 4:43 pm

Zeek wrote:
anthony456 wrote:
I heard that many people with asperger's also have ADHD.

Not true. If you are diagnosed with Aspergers then you cannot be diagnsoed with ADHD. One of the prerequisits (or however you spell it) is that you can't have been diagnosed with a different mental condition. Although the two are closely linked
Yes, you can. They can occur together; it's called comorbidity. Who told you this?

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2009, 12:53 am

I have both ADHD and autism too. Sad. But we have to live with it.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2009, 1:32 am

I do, but only because my sociology professor is distractingly hot!

8)