How Old Were You When You Were Dx'd/Self Dx'd?

Page 4 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

How old were you when you were dx'd, or self-dx'd as on the spectrum?
0-5 years old 8%  8%  [ 34 ]
6-10 8%  8%  [ 34 ]
11-16 16%  16%  [ 67 ]
17-21 18%  18%  [ 79 ]
22-29 21%  21%  [ 90 ]
30-39 13%  13%  [ 57 ]
40-49 10%  10%  [ 43 ]
50+ 6%  6%  [ 24 ]
Not on the spectrum as far as you are aware 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 432

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 3:31 am

Officially Dx'd in 2006 at 36 yrs old.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 3:07 pm

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 7:44 pm

I was diagnosed at age two, according to my mother. My mom said that I knew my alphabet and could count to ten in English, Spanish, and German before my second birhtday, so I wasn't nonverbal like some Aspie children. My mom started to realize that something was wrong when I didn't want to interact with other children in daycare and when I was terrified of loud noises such as the washing machine and coffee grinder. My Aunt, who is a special ed teacher was the first person to tell my mom about Aspergers and that I might have it. My aunt was the first to diagnose me but I was officially diagnosed at a clinic soon after. This is what my mom told me but I have no actual memory of any of this.

JaeDee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Dec 2011, 2:04 am

I was originally suggested for diagnosis for Aspergers when i was 4 years old, my parents were scared of it, being an Autism Spectrum.

then my mother as a teacher (when i was 8) had a student with Aspergers syndrome, instantly recognised many of my behaviours. 2 months later i was fully diagnosed with Aspergers and ADHD. (the ADHD was already being investigated before hand)

i remember my tests, including one where i was strapped into a brain scanning thing and given computerised puzzles.

ATwistedLogic
Raven
Raven

14 Apr 2012, 7:06 pm

Diagnosed when I was 4

Chuzhack
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2012, 3:49 am

18 years old, in the army, Asperger's. ADHD when I was 17. Though I started speaking when I was 8 months old, and it appears I was already obsessed with precision when I was very young.

(Personal Story Time You May Skip)

Mum told me that when I was a year and a half old my grandmother caught me playing with some dirt on the floor. She told me: "Don't touch that, it's kaka", to which I replied: "Granny, this isn't kaka, it's dirt. The kaka is in the potty." She was terrified with me everafter. Truthfully speaking, this event may have more to do with the fact that my parents never used "baby-speak" with me*, rather than with my inherent peculiarities.

* "Never saw the point of first teaching you incorrect language, just to teach you how to speak properly later on," mum told me.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 7:41 pm

I self-diagnosed around 16 when another aspie told me about his own differences and how he never fit. I felt like I belonged somewhere after that experience.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jun 2012, 1:40 pm

Took my first batch of tests when I was six, the last batch of test I took shortly after my seventh, put into play therapy, GLD class, bumped out to SLD class, bumped out again to the school supply closet where I stayed for two school years till my step-dad split and the woman that gave birth to me moved us to another place, the abuse started in earnest and i ended up in regular class and no more therapy.

I ignored the Dx when I was a kid, just like the woman who gave birth to me did. Used the I.Q. scores as some kind of badge of honor to avoid being called a ret*d, didn't work of course. I had to go look up what Hyperlexia, Dyscalculia and Autism were when I got home from school. All I have for a Dx is what I overheard the tester, the home room teacher and the woman who gave birth me talking about and i read the I.Q. score on the results page.....

No help since. Which has had a massive impact on my life. Which is why at thirty-six I'm going to go bare my heart and soul to a stranger to get the ball rolling for funding for the therapy I need. I need an official Dx in order to access local resources. I have no paperwork or any anything from my childhood, no records, nothing. So many lost friendships, jobs, no-starter of a career.... social outcast. playing havoc with my current relationship. Well the ASD and the PTSD.

Bleh... Dealing with all this crap all at once after decades of avoiding it sucks.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 3:07 am

40s

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

win2mac
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 May 2013, 3:14 pm

There were signs since my early childhood. I started talking when i was one or so. I didn't liked to play with other kids in kindergarden. I was really quite kid. Most time i played on my own with my toys building houses with my building kit. In my 1st grade other kids keep telling me i must be from mars. Nowadays i am attending grammar school in Europe. I am 19 and i like digital circuits. I don't anymore care being awkward. I am going to see psychiatrist to get official diagnosis.

kabouter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2013, 5:30 pm

60s

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 7:44 pm

I was diagnosed at age 2, circa 1990.

lacycurtains
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2013, 9:22 pm

Wish I'd learned about it long ago, for my family's sake. We're all happier now, knowing why I'm the way I am.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

01 Aug 2013, 12:46 am

I was 2 in 1989.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 7:44 pm

I was 3 years old.

khnk222

03 Aug 2013, 9:01 pm

I was diagnosed with AS when I was 14.