Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

PaganMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2009, 11:51 am

My 14yo son is at the dr right now with my husband because my son started breaking out in what looks exactly like Chicken Pox last night. This morning he has even more. My older son had them when he was little and I really think this is what it is. He's also got a sore throat and really just doesn't feel all that good.

So

This is great, right here at Thanksgiving. My younger daughter, who is 13 already has a sore throat and a couple TINY spots on her back and doesn't feel good either. The older daughter, 16, is still asleep but if it is the pox then she's been exposed. That's not good because she spent the evening last night with her boyfriend and they babysat his year old nephew. My son had also spent most of last night at this 18yos birthday party about a block away. That means there is a whole passel of kids already exposed. Lucky them. But, a lot of people get that shot, so maybe if it is the pox, they won't all get it. I don't do immunizations and I've never had any myself except when I went to college. It's just my own personal thing.

He did get his hair chemically straigtened Friday night and he thinks it might be a reaction to the stuff but I can't see that. I don't see any spots on his scalp, only on his chest and back. He has wanted that done for a while because he has wavy hair like my husband. He spent the night with a friend whose mother does hair and she did it when she did her own sons. It looks good though.

I'll post an update when they get back. Wish us luck!

PaganMom

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 12:42 pm

If one has to get the chicken pox, it is better to get them when you are still a child. Adult males can become "sterile" should they
get chicken pox...

...and get out the warm salt water to ease that painful sore throat. It is also, soothing to drink hot lemonade.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 12:57 pm

It's best to get chicken pox when a child, as Zsazsa said it can cause sterility in males past puberty.

I'm sorry that you and yours have to deal with this on your holiday.

PaganMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2009, 1:06 pm

I think it's mumps that cause sterility. But they got back and they saw a nurse practitioner at the ER (small town, only one working in there on Sunday) and she said she didn't think it was chicken pox, she thought it might be from using the back brush in the tub. It doesn't look like that to me at all. But, I never finished nursing school and she did, so maybe so. I'll keep an eye on him and see if he gets more spots. They look like pimples. Or bites. He started with a few on his belly and then got more and on his back too. I would think that if it's irritation from the brush it might all show up within the same few hours. Not over a day or so. I'll keep an eye on him and if he has any more spots tomorrow or if they are on his arms or legs, where he didn't use the brush, we will go see his regular nurse practitioner at the dr office.

Really kinda sucks to be so far out in the sticks that we don't even have a pediatrician. We have doctors who come down to do fellowships in rural health, and they stay a couple years and leave. The nurse practitioner lives here and works here full time. They have to get doctors from the city or nurse practitioners from the city to staff the ER a lot of times. Nights and weekends and all.

PaganMom

david_42
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2009, 2:11 pm

I got chicken pox before a vaccine was available. I still have scars on my face 50 years later. Deaths are fairly rare, but keep the infected kids away from pregnant women.

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 2:40 pm

My youngest J (now almost 11) broke out in chicken pox the day after his 5th birthday party(its his birthday this Friday). We just got him cleared up and my oldest got them for xmas. :cry:
My oldest got them so bad, they were on the palms of his hands the soles of his feet, in his eyes,mouth, every where.

You need to look out for pusy heads. Tiny pimple like spots with white or yellow heads. My mum once told me that if a child is going to break out in a rash put them in a warm bath, this will bring it out. I don't know how true that is though.

I would have thought any rash from rubbing your skin hard with a bath brush would have gone away after a few hours.

Good luck with it all.

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 4:10 pm

Yeah, I had that at age 3. I dont remember much other then it was itchy. I do know however that a bathtub filled with oatmeal was very soothing.

PaganMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2009, 9:04 am

This morning his chest and back are eat up, his neck and face have quite a few and even some on his arms now. HOW could that be from a shower brush used DAYS BEFORE? He woke me up last night for a Benadryl because he was itching. I'm fixing to call her Dr office here in about 15 minutes and take him to see the nurse practitioner he always sees. I trust her and she knows what she's doing. I'll report back when I know.

PaganMom

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 11:54 am

Sounds like chicken poxs to me :( make sure his fever stays down that big spike is what causes sterity, ofcouse no aspirin or any thing with aspirin in it like pepdo. To avoid scaring put neosporin on the poxs after they break open it also cuts back the risk of a infection in the broken pox. Warm baths help I like the camomile tea baths they are very sothing and you smell great when your done. I just dump the bags in the the tub while I run the hot water and after it cools abit you jump in. Both my boys had it over thanksgiving a few years ago it was no fun at all, hang in there and I hope your kids feel better soon.

PaganMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2009, 12:20 pm

Thanks for the replies everybody. We have just got back from the Dr, and yes he does have it. She doesn't think he will be very sick because he feels pretty much ok except for the sore throat. He has them in his mouth and all too. He doesn't have a fever yet, and she said just keep him around the house and away from anybody who hasn't had it or the vaccine. She said my girls will probably break out by the weekend, so they will miss school all next week. Today is the last day of school before Thanksgiving break, so that's good for him. Well, he doesn't think so lol.

I stopped and got him some McDonalds after the Dr, and he's eating and watching tv and texting people. I'm about to run him an Aveeno bath.

The bad thing is, my 20yo son and his pregnant gf can't come to Thanksgiving now. That's ok. Better safe than sorry.

PaganMom

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 1:11 pm

Sorry you'll be missing family time with your oldest the week.Thanks for the update I hope all your kids weather this well :).