Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

tektek
Bronze Supporter
Bronze Supporter

03 Dec 2009, 3:20 am

Electromagnetic fields as cutting tools (click)

Quote:

(PhysOrg.com)
-- The bodywork on motor vehicles must be sufficiently stable, but processing the high-strength steels involved -- for example punching holes in them -- can prove something of a challenge. A new steel-cutting process will save time, energy and money in the future.

this is news to me, an interesting development for metal fabrication for sure :thumleft:

i would be interested to know more detail.

Mazeut
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2009, 9:59 am

And because they (mechanical cutting tools) also leave some unwanted material on the underside of the steel (burr, as the experts call it),

Hehe, "experts call them burr" somehow strikes me as funny. Nice tech though, sounds like the invented the impact hammer from Unreal Tournament. I wonder how much trouble they will have with flying debris.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 10:50 am

That is cool, thanks for the link.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 11:42 am

Interesting, I wonder how exactly this technique works.

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

Goren
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Dec 2009, 8:59 am

Mazeut wrote:
Nice tech though, sounds like the invented the impact hammer from Unreal Tournament. I wonder how much trouble they will have with flying debris.

Sounds more like a predecessor of a lightsaber for me :)

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 3:11 pm

its essentially a high pressure pulse, that in focuses energy on a small area, I don't think it would have any weapon applicatications

Goren

05 Dec 2009, 2:05 am

Humans will always find a weapon application for anything, you can count on that. That's in human nature. There's that formula that I modestly call Goren's law: If it can be used, it can be used as a weapon.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 10:58 am

Friskeygirl wrote:
its essentially a high pressure pulse, that in focuses energy on a small area, I don't think it would have any weapon applicatications

Are you kidding? Anything that pierces, cuts, crushes or burns has weapons potential.

ruveyn

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 4:49 pm

Goren, could you explain in detail how a elecromagnetic pulse hole punch can
be made in to or even be related to a light saber, inquiring minds want to know.

ruveyn, a stick can be a weapon, and has the potential to put an eye out.

All this device is good for is punching neat little holes, it requires alot of power to create a pulse, they didn't give any technical schematics for the pulse generator but they implied it used a few capacitors, and they would most likely be large and heavy.
The pulse is highly focused on a very small area about the size of a fingernail with the weight of 3 small car, now what happens
if you want too increase the power of this pulse, make a bigger hole, of course you will need to increase the power output, so you will need bigger capacitors, now if you want to make a weapon that has the power to punch a hole in steel at a range that would be useful for a weapon, the power output will of course have to be increased geometrically. There are much more practical weapons out there, that don't require the power of a office tower or small town to run.
Also this device is not a railgun, it may share a few components such as the capacitors, but that it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 4:54 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:

ruveyn, a stick can be a weapon, and has the potential to put an eye out.

Been there, done that.

It is called a spear.

ruveyn

Goren

06 Dec 2009, 8:14 am

Friskeygirl wrote:
Goren, could you explain in detail how a elecromagnetic pulse hole punch can
be made in to or even be related to a light saber, inquiring minds want to know.

Well, I was thinking evolutionarily. So, the first step is to make this pulsefield permanent, so that it could be used not just to punch holes, but to punch. like, a line of holes. If the area of the hole is very, very thin, it could be used as a thin, thin drill or to cut some figures out of metal, for example. Then logical next step is to limit the length of this 'drill' to some precise dimension, so it can be used in surgery and such. It is theoretically possible, and physicists even now can shape the fields in quite a number of ways. Then, it is only logical to mark the length of the "blade" in some way, so that surgeons or whoever would use them could know exactly when they end - I think, making the field to emit some light while working just might be the easiest way to do so. Then all that is needed is to find an energy source compact enough to fit in the lightsaber handle, and it's done!

Of course, it is only my fantasy. The truth is, I just really want to see a working lightsaber :P