Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 12:11 pm

I was arrested last night for DWI. My BAC was only .15. That was the worst experience I've ever had. Luckily, a friend of mine who saw everything contacted my mom and she started working my bail since 6am. I was only in city jail, with a bunch of people who were actually there for assault, robbery, possession of drugs, etc. I could have been transferred to county where it would have been worse on many levels. I am most grateful for having family and friends who made my bail happen. I wouldn't be able to survive 3 days in there.

Has anyone else with AS been to jail? If so, what was your experience? How did you react?

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 1:52 pm

Only .15??? Dude, that's almost twice the legal limit here.

Stupid is as stupid does.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 2:17 pm

Ya dude, legal limits or not, .15 is drunk. .15 is not a "only" amount =P

Anyways, Ya, i spent a weekend in jail. I was at college in Tucson, from Chicago. When I moved down there I registered my car in the state of Arizona but never realized I had to unregister my car in Illinois. A few years later my license was suspended because my car was never brought in for the required emissions test they have in the state of Illinois. They were sending warnings to my moms house, but she of course thought they were garbage and threw them away. And I think it was total BS that they would suspend my license because my car wasnt brought in for emissions.

To make matters worse, I got caught on the suspended license while I was driving back home, I was in Nebraska and got pulled over for speeding (which I was 90 in a 65, just lost track on the long flat straight road with no other cars, kind of zoned out and didnt realize I was going that damn fast). So I was pulled over, and gave him my license, he came back a few minutes later and asked me to step out of the car because I was under arrest.

I was surprisingly calm about it, looking back. Didnt panic, just figured I wouldnt make matters easier by arguing or anything lol. What made things even worse was that I was 1,000 miles away from anyone i knew who could bail me out. So had to go through a like 2 day process of my mom wiring money to the jail. I spent 2 nights in a cell with 3 other guys. Pretty chill and relaxed, we just played cards the whole time. Oh, it still gets better, I was arrested friday afternoon, let out sunday morning. The impound lot was literally right across the street, but unluckily they were closed. So I had nothing, no change of clothes, no wallet, no money, nothing. Stuck in Kearney Nebraska with absolutely nothing =P. Thank god, one of the few times in my life my mom pulled through for me, she was able to get a room for me at a Holiday Inn about a mile away over the phone. It also doesnt end there :lol:

Monday I walked back to the impound lot so I could get my wallet and cell out of my car go to an ATM to get money so I could get my car. They told me they dont allow anyone to get anything from their cars because they just grab the important stuff and never return again, as well, they were informed I had a suspended license so wouldnt release the car to me anyways unless i was with someone with a valid license to drive it off. Totally screwed =P. My mom wired some more money to me so i had to walk a couple miles to a grocery store where they had a western union so I could have some money to get something to eat.

Stayed one more night in the hotel and my sister drove through the night, 11 hours, and in the morning I went in with her, she drove the car off for me a mile down the road where she parked, she got into her car and off home we went =P.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 3:41 pm

Quite an adventure. Unfortunately, I was in a cell with about 20 or so people, all of whom were in there for something worse than a DWI. It was cold, there were no cards, only constant chatter. It was a horrible experience that I never want to go through ever again. I was starting to lose my mind in just a few hours, and I wasn't even in the worst of it.

ottorocketforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Dec 2009, 6:05 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. :( I hope you're doing better. :)

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 7:45 pm

Yep, I was in jail about a week beginning of June.
And I'm on house arrest now.

Jail was soooooo not a good place for this bipolar aspie, no way, no way. Too much noise and commotion.
No place to go to reduce overstimulation.

My health is bad and as part of that I get very cold very fast and the place was air conditioned at a comfortable level for people wearing undershirts, shirts, and bulletproof vests.

Oh well, I did what got me there. :? :oops:

And many thanks go to the people who helped me through the event.
And my parents for a ten grand check to the lawyer.

Fortunately I had my meds on me when I got arrested after going to the Police station and the anxiety medicine dosage I was taking at the time would kind of leave me in a daze the next day so I was kind of zoned out or sleeping most of the time.

Was physically sick from the stress. Details will be left to your imagination, think flu-like symptoms.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 8:15 pm

Drink and driving? If you know you're driving, it's better NOT to drink

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 9:02 pm

I went to jail twice. The first wasn't so bad . . . it was a small dark cell and there was a narrow horizontal window over my bunk, so I just curled up and looked outside. It was two bunks and the company was nice.

The second time was altogether worse. I was crying to myself at a concert (tears rolling down my face but no noise or fuss) due to the overstimulation of it all. A cop came and grabbed my arm gently and asked me to come with him. Silly me, I thought he was helping, perhaps asking me what was wrong or such . . . then he shoved me into the back of a cop car and drove me to jail for public intoxication. I insisted I wasn't drunk, but I was informed that I could prove that at the jail . . . after paying six dollars for a breathalyzer. I asked if they took debit cards as I had no cash and was informed they did not. I thought this was unfair . . . what about burden of proof . . . but it didn't matter. They put me in a cell with bright lights and loud unstable drunks (and the lights stayed on ALL NIGHT). My mother tried to bail me out but most bail places said they wouldn't bother with someone in on public intox. So I was there until morning.

Worst experience.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 9:03 pm

I hope you learned your lesson, because you got off easy, I lost my Mom to a drunk driver

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 12:14 am

Yeah, I have a kid. You trying to deprive her of her mommy and daddy or she from us?

Drunk driving should be an attempted murder charge.

AFAIC, you waved around a loaded gun with a hair trigger in a crowded place.

I have zero respect for you.

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 12:27 am

Never been to jail/juvi, but I have been taken to a police mental hospital. I was hurting myself and almost to the point of being suicidal when my parents called the police. I had to stay at the mental hospital for a few hours. I was really scared. A psychiatrist came up to me and I panicked. She asked if I had Asperger's Syndrome. I said no, since I figured if I had it, I would have heard of it before. Later she told me that she thought I did have it and that I should google it to find out what it was. So that's how I learned I had AS, and eventually, how I found WP! :D

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 12:41 am

chaotik_lord wrote:
I went to jail twice. The first wasn't so bad . . . it was a small dark cell and there was a narrow horizontal window over my bunk, so I just curled up and looked outside. It was two bunks and the company was nice.

The second time was altogether worse. I was crying to myself at a concert (tears rolling down my face but no noise or fuss) due to the overstimulation of it all. A cop came and grabbed my arm gently and asked me to come with him. Silly me, I thought he was helping, perhaps asking me what was wrong or such . . . then he shoved me into the back of a cop car and drove me to jail for public intoxication. I insisted I wasn't drunk, but I was informed that I could prove that at the jail . . . after paying six dollars for a breathalyzer. I asked if they took debit cards as I had no cash and was informed they did not. I thought this was unfair . . . what about burden of proof . . . but it didn't matter. They put me in a cell with bright lights and loud unstable drunks (and the lights stayed on ALL NIGHT). My mother tried to bail me out but most bail places said they wouldn't bother with someone in on public intox. So I was there until morning.

Worst experience.

I don't think they could legally do that

05 Dec 2009, 3:11 am

Friskeygirl wrote:
I hope you learned your lesson, because you got off easy, I lost my Mom to a drunk driver

:( :( :( :(

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 3:38 am

I was there 5 or 6 times(can't remember, at the moment), and they all sucked ass. The first 3 were the worst though, but after that, they start getting easier because you have an idea what to expect. 3 were from DUI's, 1 was from underage drinking, 1 for public drunkeness, and the last one I'm not going to mention, not right now, anyway. :wink: Hmm....I guess that makes 6, doesn't it?

Anyway...yeah, for an aspie, it's terrible to be forced into situations that you can't control, and even worse that you have absolutely no choice in the matter.(not very good for those with anxiety disorders) :ncool:

You basically have two choice when you're in there... A) b***h and whine, cry, whatever, and be totally miserable the whole time,(making yourself a 'target') or....B) Shut up and deal with it. Keep to yourself, try to keep your mind occupied, and that's about the only thing you can do to make your stay more manageable. Better yet, stay out of there in the first place.lol

Those who know, don't speak.

05 Dec 2009, 4:21 am

I never went to jail really but I was very lucky. School got out and I decided to look in the second hand stores to see if they had Benny & Joon. I was 17 then. Then I look in the super market to see if they had the movie on sale. They didn't so I left and while I was waiting to turn onto the road, I see a police car with two officers. One of them points left and I point to myself saying "Me?" and the one in the passenger seat keeps pointing left so I back up. They pull into the parking lot and make a comment that I am on the wrong side of the street. I say it's the parking lot and they tell me to pull in the parking lot. I pull in and they ask for my ID and insurance. I give them the stuff and my lisence. They look at it and then ask me to step out. They asked me a few more questions like what I was doing and I say I was waiting to turn onto the road and they say I am under arrest for shoplifting a videotape. I said I was scared and they said "You should be" and I thought it was some sort of joke because I didn't know what they were talking about. They handcuffed me in the front instead of back and I was hoping they take them off and laugh at me and tell me they should have seen the look on my face and tell me someone from my school wanted to play a joke on me and they are related to that kid or something or friend's of the kid's parents. But no I realized it was a real thing when they started to take me to their car. I ask what about my car and my stuff and they said they would take care of it by having it towed. I try and get my stuff but the officer grabs me and it hurts so I stop and he takes me to his car. I put the seat belt on and start crying. I was scared and didn't know what to expect. I just wanted to go home and be with my parents, be with my stuff. I wasn't sure if I'd go to juvie hall or not. But I was happy when they asked for my phone number. I gave it to them and they call my parents to tell them I had been arrested and I would be at the Ronan police station. I keep crying and I start having a meltdown acting very autistic. I didn't yell or scream anything. I just rocked and fidgeted and cried and kept talking to myself. The handcuffs were real uncomfortable and I was very embarrassed. I knew someone was bound to see me and then announce to other people. Everyone pretty much knew me in the school even though I didn't know them. Kids even seemed surprised I could drive and I got my lisence as if I were that impaired they thought.
So they take me to the station and I do see kids and they are staring at me and I stare at them and I see a kid I know and he sees me. Then when we got to the station, they took me out and brought me inside. They took me to a desk and told me to lift my arms. I lift them and he tells me to bring them down a little. I do and he unlocks them and I sit down.
I then start talking and he finally asks me if I have some sort of learning disability after I was telling him how I was trying to get on the road but couldn't because there was traffic and I don't want to get in a car accident. I didn't know how to answer it because I didn't know then if I had it or not so I started talking about my aid and how she helps me with my school work and how she is in my classes with me. I asked him about the video tape again and he picks up one of the VHS tapes and says I took one of them. I didn't say anything, In fact I was scared about what if I did do it and didn't know it. I have a history of doing things without being aware of it.

Then finally my parents came in and I was expecting them to be mad at me but they weren't. They were calm. I was happy they were there and they sorted the whole thing out. They asked what I was there for and the officers said I took it and I said I don't remember doing it and what if I did do it and didn't know it. Dad tells them to search the car and take it out of the yard. So they do but my mom stays behind to talk to the officer while my dad pays the 70 bucks to get it out. The officer searches it and found no video tape. I was glad I didn't buy any tapes back at the other store or else I had framed myself. I would have just told the officer to go to the store and ask the cashier and he would say I bought the tape there.
So I go home while my dad goes back to the station to get my mother.
I was so upset, I did not see the homecoming parade or even wanted to go to the game or dance. I stayed in the basement the whole weekend with Benny & Joon (Dad took me to rent the video) and I was nervous about going back to school that Monday. Mom told me everything will be fine and I am a very honest person and just tell them what happened.
So I go to school and everyone knew about it. They asked me questions and made comments like "You got pulled over" and asking me what did I do and what ticket I got. I said I had been arrested and I tell them the story and I got support. Some kids even said the street does look like a parking lot.
Of course the officer gave me a warning about it, no ticket.
My mom even told the officer I have Asperger's after I had left. I don't know why she told him, maybe to make him feel guilty. The officer was asking her questions about me like why do I have an aid and stuff and she said I have AS and she just helps me figure stuff out and brings me out of the classroom if I have anxiety. Turns out they were just volunteer officers, not real ones.
My parents were not happy how they handled it and I thought why didn't they ask to search my car when they pulled me over. My mom said they should have before arresting me and they towed the car which was ridiculous and they had to pay money to get it out. My dad thought it was funny they handcuffed me and said I handled it all well and I was a strong girl. Now I know what's like to be arrested and all since I had been curious and now I know what's it like to go to jail even though they didn't put me in there. This experiance was so scary I can still remember this whole thing well like it was yesterday. It took me a while to get over this and shop in the same store where the dumb ass thought I took a video tape. I never got an apology. But my mom did when she had went in there to talk to the guy.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 5:16 am

That sounds so scary Spokane, cops in general scare me, I was roughed up during the Stanley Cup play Offs
in Edmonton, a large cop shoved me in the chest very hard when I was trying to leave the White Avenue area,
I wasn't part of the crowd only going home from the Chapters I worked at, I flew backward and banged the
back of my head on the side walk, I only weigh 93lbs.