Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

JohnnyD017
Raven
Raven

22 Dec 2009, 11:10 am

Well I guess this could be my last post here.

Ive been talking to an expert about this and according to him i probably dont have AS, i just have 'Avoidant Personality'. It always bothered me that I fit so many of the 'minor' AS traits but none of the major ones (theory of mind, sensory issues, repetitive behaviours). After reading about AvPD, i realised it fits me perfectly without the need for AS. What i found interesting is theres a lot of similar traits or symptoms between AvPD and AS, yet the difference lies in the reasons behind these. for example. With AS you have more trouble reading people, but with AvPD you read people way too well and read too much into things causing almost paranoia about what they are thinking. The result is often the same with things like anxiety or awkwardness.

Why am i posting this? I know theres people here who arent sure if they have AS or not. For you guys, check out AvPD and see what you think. Id say if someone has an Avoidant Personality, then a misdiagnosis of AS can be devastating, as it will only enforce their negative thoughts about themselves socially, thoughts that may not be true. And because "the symptoms of AS differ greatly between subjects", it is a disorder that is completely impossible to disprove once its been given. I know cos Ive tried it!

Peace
-JD

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 11:28 am

What surprises me is that you learned about Asperger's before learning about Avoidant Personality Disorder. Personality disorders are diagnosed willy-nilly, often without proper evidence, and are studied in psychology classes far more than autism spectrum disorders. If you're studying psychology, you may touch on autism a day or two in a developmental psych class, but you'll study personality disorders at every turn.

I had the exact opposite experience that you had.. I thought that I probably had a personality disorder, and went about treatment as though I did. With the encouragement of therapists, I assumed that if I didn't know why someone seemed upset, it probably didn't have anything to do with me, put self-doubts into the back of my mind, acted confident, attempted to have stable relationships, thinking that doing all that would make me normal, would turn me into a healthy person.. but it didn't. The problem was that I did do plenty of things that pissed people off without realizing it, and just because I don't know why somebody is upset doesn't mean that it's not because of me. I don't know how to properly relate to people, and just letting go of my anxiety isn't going to make me able to relate to other people, because it's more than just that. etc. So in the end, it all blew up in my face.

This may be a male/female issue.. that the same symptoms that are diagnosed as AS in male will be diagnosed as a personality disorder in a female, and treated accordingly, so it may be that guys would learn about AS before learning about personality disorders that would explain the same symptoms. But in general, by the time a girl starts studying AS and thinking that she's likely to have it, it will be because she's already examined the possibility of her problems being caused by a personality disorder, and found that explanation lacking.

leschevalsroses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2009, 11:28 am

JohnnyD017 wrote:
Well I guess this could be my last post here.

Ive been talking to an expert about this and according to him i probably dont have AS, i just have 'Avoidant Personality'. It always bothered me that I fit so many of the 'minor' AS traits but none of the major ones (theory of mind, sensory issues, repetitive behaviours). After reading about AvPD, i realised it fits me perfectly without the need for AS. What i found interesting is theres a lot of similar traits or symptoms between AvPD and AS, yet the difference lies in the reasons behind these. for example. With AS you have more trouble reading people, but with AvPD you read people way too well and read too much into things causing almost paranoia about what they are thinking. The result is often the same with things like anxiety or awkwardness.

Why am i posting this? I know theres people here who arent sure if they have AS or not. For you guys, check out AvPD and see what you think. Id say if someone has an Avoidant Personality, then a misdiagnosis of AS can be devastating, as it will only enforce their negative thoughts about themselves socially, thoughts that may not be true. And because "the symptoms of AS differ greatly between subjects", it is a disorder that is completely impossible to disprove once its been given. I know cos Ive tried it!

Peace
-JD

I fit all the traits of AvPD perfectly too. I've sort of been bobbing back and forth between autism and that, it's been very hard for me to distinguish the two. The problem I've had is that most shrinks I've been to have no clue what AvPD is, and simply treat me as having social anxiety which does not encompass all of my problems. I had one shrink look at me like I was nuts when I told her I thought I had AvPD. She said, "oh, that's interesting". But I think what helped me was when I went on anti-anxiety pills last year, which eliminated my anxiety a lot. During that time, I was able to realize more just how lost I was in social situations and how overwhelmed I would get in them with or without the anxiety.

I think what you said about being able to read people too well versus not at all is harder to distinguish than it seems. It is for me, I still don't know which one I do. But putting those differences aside, do you think that it's possible for someone to be on the autism spectrum and have AvPD?

Captain_Kirk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Dec 2009, 11:33 am

Dude, look. I fit AS, schizoid, aviodant personality disorder...you understand what I'm saying here? I technically fit many different diagnoses very very well. Having an exact diagnosis isn't important. You are just going to drive yourself crazy with all that, I know I did. The more important question is, "Do you know who you are?" If you can answer that, then it doesn't matter what your diagnosis is. As long as you like who you are, that's all that matters. There is my two cents, although I only get paid a penny for my thoughts. Man, I'm losing money on this site... 8O

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 12:08 pm

Captain_Kirk wrote:
Dude, look. I fit AS, schizoid, aviodant personality disorder...you understand what I'm saying here? I technically fit many different diagnoses very very well. Having an exact diagnosis isn't important. You are just going to drive yourself crazy with all that, I know I did. The more important question is, "Do you know who you are?" If you can answer that, then it doesn't matter what your diagnosis is. As long as you like who you are, that's all that matters. There is my two cents, although I only get paid a penny for my thoughts. Man, I'm losing money on this site... 8O

But, if you know who you are, then you know why you fit the behavioral criteria of those disorders, and can figure out if you fit them for the right reasons or not. That was the whole point, I think.. that you can fit the behavioral criteria of a disorder, but if you have those behaviors for a different reason, then you can't really have that disorder.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 1:36 pm

As always things are murky in the psych* world... Gillberg seems to be saying you can have both, but that it's mostly of matter of how useful that is.

nominalist wrote:
Here is what Christopher Gillberg wrote:

Personality disorders are often diagnosed in individuals who have had autism spectrum disorders since early childhood. Unlike in the case of schizophrenia, such diagnoses are not symptomatically inappropriate: the patients actually meet criteria for many of these disorders (perhaps particularly obsessive-compulsive, schizoid, narcissistic, paranoid, schizotypal, avoidant and borderline personality disorder). The question is whether it adds anything to the understanding of the person with Asperger syndrome to say that he/she also has this or that personality disorder.

- A Guide to Asperger Syndrome, p.56

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 2:05 pm

I just recently identified AvPD in myself, though I have never been diagnosed with it, and found a perfect fit there. When I was 14, in Child Protective Custody back in 1974, I was diagnosed Schizoid and Schizotypal which I hear is also a misdiagnosis for kids with autism.

RedHorizon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2009, 2:34 pm

I remember reading somewhere that when a Russian scientist described Schizoid personality disorder in 1909 it was actually the first observation of what was really Asperger's Syndrome. Her observations were that it was a personality problem, while Hans Asperger may have observed the same thing but thought of it as a developmental disorder.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 2:47 pm

I just have a problem with the whole personality disorder because that's considered a mental illness and I feel my problems in this area are more along the lines of physiological or neurologically based with regard to my own personal symptoms. So to me it isn't a mental illness, with autism, but a physiological or neurological one.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 2:58 pm

I also fit the profile for Avoidant and Schizoid Personality Disorder, but I was that way at two years of age.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 3:08 pm

With me the symptoms were evident from the day I was born starting with my inability or instinct to effectively nurse.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 3:11 pm

Meadow wrote:
I just have a problem with the whole personality disorder because that's considered a mental illness and I feel my problems in this area are more along the lines of physiological or neurologically based with regard to my own personal symptoms. So to me it isn't a mental illness, with autism, but a physiological or neurological one.

That requires an awful lot of hair-splitting so far as mind vs. brain.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 3:14 pm

Meadow wrote:
With me the symptoms were evident from the day I was born starting with my inability or instinct to effectively nurse.

I always thought such a thing would be instinctual, but apparently not. When my son was born I had a nursing coach with me for the first attempt and she said newborns frequently need a little help. I'm not saying you didn't have more trouble than usual but I was surprised to learn this.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 3:18 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
Meadow wrote:

There is a clear difference but I'm not going to try and convince anyone. To each his own.

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2009, 3:21 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
Meadow wrote:

There is a split there, though both interact with one another and change each other's states. I always find the software/hardware analogy is a pretty close fit.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 3:21 pm

Aimless wrote:
Meadow wrote:

I always thought such a thing would be instinctual, but apparently not. When my son was born I had a nursing coach with me for the first attempt and she said newborns frequently need a little help. I'm not saying you didn't have more trouble than usual but I was surprised to learn this.

With me there were many more symptoms. The nursing was so bad I became severely malnourished. An expert, rather renowned, agreed that mine was a clear case of Early Infantile Autism.

Last edited by Meadow on 22 Dec 2009, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.