Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 3:21 pm

Aimless wrote:
Meadow wrote:
With me the symptoms were evident from the day I was born starting with my inability or instinct to effectively nurse.

I always thought such a thing would be instinctual, but apparently not. When my son was born I had a nursing coach with me for the first attempt and she said newborns frequently need a little help. I'm not saying you didn't have more trouble than usual but I was surprised to learn this.

With me there were many more symptoms. The nursing was so bad I became severely malnourished. An expert, rather renowned, agreed that mine was a clear case of Early Infantile Autism.

Last edited by Meadow on 22 Dec 2009, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 3:24 pm

Whisper wrote:
Maggiedoll wrote:
Meadow wrote:
I just have a problem with the whole personality disorder because that's considered a mental illness and I feel my problems in this area are more along the lines of physiological or neurologically based with regard to my own personal symptoms. So to me it isn't a mental illness, with autism, but a physiological or neurological one.

That requires an awful lot of hair-splitting so far as mind vs. brain.

There is a split there, though both interact with one another and change each other's states. I always find the software/hardware analogy is a pretty close fit.

I agree.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 3:40 pm

Meadow wrote:
I just have a problem with the whole personality disorder because that's considered a mental illness and I feel my problems in this area are more along the lines of physiological or neurologically based with regard to my own personal symptoms. So to me it isn't a mental illness, with autism, but a physiological or neurological one.

There are any number of things that we now know are neurologically based that were once assumed to be psychological. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually decided the same thing about personality disorders.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 3:45 pm

Aimless wrote:
Meadow wrote:

There are any number of things that we now know are neurologically based that were once assumed to be psychological. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually decided the same thing about personality disorders.

Until that has specifically been determined, I prefer to maintain there is a distinction.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 3:48 pm

They used to think asthma was psychological, too..

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 3:50 pm

An interesting differential diagnosis. Not applicable to me, personally, but a good line of inquiry for any person who is uncertain about where their differences are rooted.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 3:51 pm

That isn't meant to imply that one may not be dealing with both. An underlying physiological/neurological disorder can cause a multitude of psychological problems if you were to go down the list making one more prone or vulnerable to these problems.

Last edited by Meadow on 22 Dec 2009, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 3:52 pm

Meadow wrote:
That isn't meant to imply that one may not be dealing with both. An underlying physiological/neurological disorder can cause a multitude of psychological problems if you were to go down the list making one more prone or vulnernerable to these problems.

true.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 5:51 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
Meadow wrote:

No, I think there's a difference - especially in perception. I got no problem copping to an organic brain dysfunction, but I ain't got no mental illness. :wink:

Neurological = handicap :oops:

Mental Illness = looney 8O

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 6:08 pm

Willard wrote:
Maggiedoll wrote:
Meadow wrote:

No, I think there's a difference - especially in perception. I got no problem copping to an organic brain dysfunction, but I ain't got no mental illness. :wink:

In other words, you don't know the difference but will capitalize by making a joke. It's okay if you have nothing better to do than use others to make yourself appear smart or witty.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 8:19 pm

Willard wrote:
Maggiedoll wrote:
Meadow wrote:

What makes AS an "organic brain dysfunction" while other disorders that are organic and rooted in physiology are mental illnesses? Schizophrenia is organic, bipolar is organic.. When someone thinks "loony" they're usually thinking of schizophrenia or bipolar, and those are both rooted in biology, not psychology. People with those disorders have neurological differences that cause those problems. You can't just talk-therapy your way out of them, because their basis is biological, not psychological. So where is the distinction? A lot of this seems like a desire not to be categorized with the "crazies." But the "crazies" have neurological differences that cause those disorders too.

obnoxiously-me
Raven
Raven

22 Dec 2009, 8:26 pm

Captain_Kirk wrote:
Dude, look. I fit AS, schizoid, aviodant personality disorder...you understand what I'm saying here? I technically fit many different diagnoses very very well. Having an exact diagnosis isn't important. You are just going to drive yourself crazy with all that, I know I did. The more important question is, "Do you know who you are?" If you can answer that, then it doesn't matter what your diagnosis is. As long as you like who you are, that's all that matters. There is my two cents, although I only get paid a penny for my thoughts. Man, I'm losing money on this site... 8O

I agree with Captain Kirk.

The diagnosis criteria will change every few years - I won't.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 8:33 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
Willard wrote:
Maggiedoll wrote:
Meadow wrote:

What makes AS an "organic brain dysfunction" while other disorders that are organic and rooted in physiology are mental illnesses? Schizophrenia is organic, bipolar is organic.. When someone thinks "loony" they're usually thinking of schizophrenia or bipolar, and those are both rooted in biology, not psychology. People with those disorders have neurological differences that cause those problems. You can't just talk-therapy your way out of them, because their basis is biological, not psychological. So where is the distinction? A lot of this seems like a desire not to be categorized with the "crazies." But the "crazies" have neurological differences that cause those disorders too.

For me there is a distinction because I don't have these biology-based illnesses that you've listed. The psychological problems that I have are rooted with environmental causes and the neurological problems with autism therefore are easier that way for me to recognize or distinguish between. When I was diagnosed at fourteen with Schizoaffective Personality it was a misdiagnosis for the Autism in which they hadn't a clue.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 9:55 pm

Meadow wrote:
For me there is a distinction because I don't have these biology-based illnesses that you've listed. The psychological problems that I have are rooted with environmental causes and the neurological problems with autism therefore are easier that way for me to recognize or distinguish between. When I was diagnosed at fourteen with Schizoaffective Personality it was a misdiagnosis for the Autism in which they hadn't a clue.

But isn't the distinction there more just that they diagnosed the wrong disorder? There can be a misdiagnosis of one biological disorder that is really another biological disorder too. It's not just a matter of biological vs. psychological.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 10:38 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
they're usually thinking of schizophrenia or bipolar, and those are both rooted in biology, not psychology. People with those disorders have neurological differences that cause those problems.

I have never seen the remotest evidence for this. I personally know someone Dx'd as schizophrenic and his condition traces back to a specific incident and was in no way biological in origin.

An illness caused by an outside force such as a bacterium is not the same as a hereditary disease. Pointless point, since both are still conditions that require solutions.

Sounds to me like you're just trying to talk-therapy your way into being right, in a discussion that is ultimately semantic in nature (the point of my initial remark, Meadow). I concede the issue and withdraw. Pedants taking irrelevancies too seriously are how wars get started. :roll:

22 Dec 2009, 10:43 pm

I have thought about having this when I was doubting my DX but I didn't meet the profile for this.