Is it possible to have AS and be a narcissist?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 5:49 pm

I have been banned from several websites after behaving in a destructive and narcissistic manner, something I felt they deserved, I got comments like "Cold-hearted Lucifer-offspring", and "Hitlerjugend", and it made me wonder if I'm something more than just AS, what do you think?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 5:54 pm

Yes--one does not negate the other.

Captain_Kirk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Dec 2009, 6:01 pm

Anyone who has a MySpace page or a Facebook page, and feels the need to make the page perfect, is obviously narcissistic. I don't know if it's possible to have AS and be a sociopath though. Maybe. A true narcissist is half of a sociopath. If you care that you hurt other people, then you aren't a true narcissist. I get banned from everywhere, but that's because I speak my mind. Well, I used to get banned from everywhere. I'm better now.

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2009, 6:21 pm

I do think it's possible to have AS and NPD.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 3:31 am

I am sort of narcissistic, but a lot of it comes from not really being able to connect with much of anyone besides myself... I tend to disassociate quite a bit...(if that is the right term)...I don't feel like the person I see when I watch my videos......I don't have a big ego about myself...in fact. I have very bad self-esteem problems...I call myself bad names and say horrible things about myself on a regular basis........but the sheer number of YouTube videos I have up has been called narcissistic....

I don't know if that counts as having NPD though...

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 4:24 am

I'm sometimes described as narcististic, I usually call it "self awareness" but it's a matter of Point of View :wink:

24 Dec 2009, 4:40 am

You can have more than just one condition.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 4:48 am

Nightsun wrote:
I'm sometimes described as narcististic, I usually call it "self awareness" but it's a matter of Point of View :wink:

What causes me to do it is a sort of lack of self awareness... :roll:

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 5:42 am

But I'm not so sure if an aspie can be a psychopath, psychopaths use superior social skills to manipulate others and then humiliate them.

24 Dec 2009, 6:53 am

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
But I'm not so sure if an aspie can be a psychopath, psychopaths use superior social skills to manipulate others and then humiliate them.

I think so.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 6:58 am

I think it's very possible for an aspie to also be a narcissist.. but it's also very possible for an aspie who isn't a narcissist to seem like one.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 7:11 am

bdhkhsfgk wrote:

I'm not a psicopath but I can manipulate others easy. It's not necessary to understand others to manipulate others, actually you don't need "theory of mind - hourses version" to addomesticate an hourses.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 7:30 am

While I believe an aspie can also be narcissistic, I also believe that we can also be mistaken for being narcissists. Other hallmarks of narcissism is reacting angrily to criticism or rejection of any kind (whether it be professionally or romantically) and they then denounce/vilify the objects/people that they have been rejected by. I have seen this kind of behaviour on here, but I don't think this is because of narcissism, more that aspies and autistics don't react well to rejection either, particularly as we have to try harder to be liked than those without autism or Asperger's. From my point of view, if I'm rejected, I then feel that all my efforts to be nice or friendly to someone etc etc no longer counts for anything or never counted in the first place, hence I react angrily as I feel that all I've done was for nothing. But I wouldn't say that makes me a narcissist as I don't devalue or hurt people to make myself look better, something that a true narcissist does that I would never dream of doing. Plus I am not a big fan of being the centre of attention. For example, I think those that get married are brave as they are the centre of attention for pretty much an entire day (unless they are narcissists, in which case this is perfect :lol: ). This would be a little too much for me.

Captain_Kirk wrote:
Anyone who has a MySpace page or a Facebook page, and feels the need to make the page perfect, is obviously narcissistic.

If you mean to maximise the attention they will get and are constantly bragging about themselves, then yes I agree. However, there are some, like myself, who like to make their MySpace or Facebook pages perfect with regards to spelling etc as incorrectness in a manner such as this is a bug-bear. When I notice this on other people's Facebook pages it annoys me. I wouldn't say this made me narcissistic, but a bit of a perfectionist as I apply this to other aspects of my life that are not social.

Captain_Kirk wrote:
I don't know if it's possible to have AS and be a sociopath though. Maybe.

I think it is. It depends on the individual person really. I have been hurt by others in immeasurable ways, but I have chosen to just get on with my life. Now, someone else may decide to behave differently and start willfully hurting people as a form of revenge for what they have suffered. I think this is true for everyone, regardless of whether or not they have AS. There are other bits to people's personalities that can govern how someone reacts to a good or bad situation or whether or not you become a sociopath.

Captain_Kirk wrote:
A true narcissist is half of a sociopath. If you care that you hurt other people, then you aren't a true narcissist. I get banned from everywhere, but that's because I speak my mind. Well, I used to get banned from everywhere. I'm better now.

I also speak my mind, but I do it without intending to hurt others, I am assuming you are the same? Sometimes, yes others do get hurt by what I say, but I do try to explain that hurting someone is not the purpose of me saying what I have said, merely that I don't like to lie. However, if I think it will cause too much distress to speak my mind, I keep my mouth shut.

Atomchild
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Dec 2009, 10:37 am

I think it is easy to come across as narcissistic with Asperger's especially if you come from a childhood of being ostracized because of having Asperger's. The complex would go from being different and outcast at first to feeling superior because of your difference / uniqueness. Ending up telling yourself that you have a unique understanding of the world that neurotypical people can't grasp or something along those lines.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 11:04 am

Maggiedoll wrote:
I think ... it's also very possible for an aspie who isn't a narcissist to seem like one.

I think that fits me at times, but I also believe the potential exists ...

Fiz wrote:
... reacting angrily to criticism or rejection of any kind (whether it be professionally or romantically) and they then denounce/vilify the objects/people that they have been rejected by. I have seen this kind of behaviour on here, but I don't think this is because of narcissism, more that aspies and autistics don't react well to rejection either, particularly as we have to try harder to be liked than those without autism or Asperger's.

I absolutely will not tolerate untruth about myself, but I can understand why other people do not understand me and I do not "devalue or hurt people to make myself look better".

Fiz wrote:
Captain_Kirk wrote:
If you care that you hurt other people, then you aren't a true narcissist. I get banned from everywhere, but that's because I speak my mind. Well, I used to get banned from everywhere. I'm better now.

I also speak my mind, but I do it without intending to hurt others, I am assuming you are the same? Sometimes, yes others do get hurt by what I say, but I do try to explain that hurting someone is not the purpose of me saying what I have said, merely that I don't like to lie. However, if I think it will cause too much distress to speak my mind, I keep my mouth shut.

I have been banned from religious boards where people got tired of my constant barrage of truth intended to be helpful, and I am now alienated from my daughters and grandchildren for doing the same with them. Overall, and regardless of source, I know my actions have brought trouble upon myself ... and that is where I am presently stuck in relation to sorting all of this out.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 1:37 pm

It's possible to have AS and be narcissistic, but I don't think it's possible to be a sociopath with AS. Sociopathy and AS are both neurobiological, so that means they both have different nervous systems. AS makes you hypersensitive, and sociopathy makes you understimulated. They're both like complete opposites overall.