Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Dec 2009, 10:41 am

cosmiccat wrote:
I want very much to see this movie. Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law are two of my favorite actors. Of course it will be a bit over the top, but that won't bother me, the acting and the dialogue, I think, will be superb.

I'm looking forward to it aswell! but I live in France and definitely do NOT want to see the dubbed version, so will have to wait till the DVD is out. :(

Sherlock Holmes has been one of my heroes since I was 10, and even if the film has completely left the planet in terms of story line etc, I like you, love Robert Downey Jr, and the sort of intelligent wisecracking he and Law seem to indulge in, acc to the trailer anyway.

Totally agree with what people have said about Holmes probably being a manic-depressive aspie character. :)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 10:42 am

The Mystery of ?Sherlock Holmes topic

I enjoy as subinterests Victorian and Edwardian history and some fiction, as long as it accurately reflects ordinary life. This new movie seems as bit Hollywood to me. And the love interest idea is ludicrous. I might check it out once it moves to DVD.

I will, however, see the new movie The Young Victoria, which depicts as accurately as possible the love between Albert and Victoria, though it is a bit short on history. This is why books and literature are the better resources. :)

In these periods in history lie the precursors of our own epoch. Fascinating. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Last edited by sartresue on 26 Dec 2009, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 11:34 am

DarrylZero wrote:
There was at least one story (I can't recall the title) where reference was made to Holmes' abilities as a boxer, and that he was good enough to have done it professionally and been successful. In "The Adventure of the Empty House" (I think that's the name) Holmes mentions that he had studied baritsu, which is believed to be a typo of bartitsu, a Victorian-era version of mixed martial arts.

In fact, Holmes credited his expertise in "baritsu" for his ability to wrestle Moriarty off the edge of Richenbach Falls. He was also noted as an excellent single-stick fighter (the reason he carried a cane with him), and Watson said (in "The Adventure of the Speckled Band") that Holmes was an expert swordsman, although we never actually got to see Holmes fence. On the other hand, while he knew the trigger from the barrel, Holmes was apparently only a mediocre shot, and depended on Watson for anything to do with pistols (Watson having learned how to shoot both revolvers and rifles while in the army, in the Second Afghan War).

Interestingly enough, Holmes' personality traits and ability to find evidence not readily apparent to others were reportedly based on one of Arthur Conan Doyle's professors at university, a man dedicated to the practice of logical thought in all things.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 2:03 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Interestingly enough, Holmes' personality traits and ability to find evidence not readily apparent to others were reportedly based on one of Arthur Conan Doyle's professors at university, a man dedicated to the practice of logical thought in all things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Bell

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 2:09 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:

The very man himself! Thank you, ToughDiamond!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 2:24 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:

The very man himself! Thank you, ToughDiamond!

No problem......and if you ever get the chance to see a series called "Murder Rooms: The Dark Beginnings Of Sherlock Holmes," go for it.......especially the episode with Rik Mayall in it. 8)

theLilAsimov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Dec 2009, 3:56 pm

As I mentioned before, I liked the film a lot. I plan on seeing it again, this Wednesday, with a small group of my close, yet only, friends.

ponies
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Dec 2009, 7:25 pm

Has anyone had trouble with the plot of this movie?

Often when I am watching a movie, I find myself not being able to keep up with the plot and have to stop the movie and have it explained to me by the person I am watching it with. Or, if I am alone, read the back of the dvd case, or just not bother and keep going with the movie, not totally understanding what is going on.

With Sherlock Holmes, it seems there is a lot of plot to keep up with and I'm not sure how I will go with it.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Dec 2009, 11:55 am

I saw it Christmas day and I thought that they did an excellent job of portraying some of our traits. His ability to swirl all the pieces about in his head and find the patterns, etc. Excellent. Definite lack of social skills and supreme intelligence. He was excellent at this. His quirks and attempts to keep his thoughts in order with "medicinal" help was well done. I really thought that it was awesome! I'll go again, prolly.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 4:06 pm

ponies wrote:
Has anyone had trouble with the plot of this movie?

Often when I am watching a movie, I find myself not being able to keep up with the plot and have to stop the movie and have it explained to me by the person I am watching it with. Or, if I am alone, read the back of the dvd case, or just not bother and keep going with the movie, not totally understanding what is going on.

With Sherlock Holmes, it seems there is a lot of plot to keep up with and I'm not sure how I will go with it.

I always have to watch a movie like that more than once. The first time through, though, I just don't worry about it. :3

smischmal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2010, 4:00 am

I just got back from watching this movie-film. I really didn't know what to expect but I liked it. Rather a bit more than the rest of my family actually. Anyways, I was watching it and thinking something to the effect of "This fellow [Holmes] displays certain traits that would lead me to believe him to have AS." So I came here to see if there was a topic on the film and lo and behold there was.
Glad to see I’m not the only one who drew this conclusion.

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jan 2010, 4:17 am

I've read lots of the Holmes stories. Particularly the full novels. I enjoyed them very much. I saw the movie a couple days ago with an Aspie friend, and it's not the original, but it is a very fun. I'd recommend it.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 5:51 am

Saw the film, was great! Haven't read or watched any other Sherlock Holmes stuff but I might look into it now :)

Now is it just me, or is Sherlock Holmes a Aspie? :P

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 7:35 am

I saw it the other day. He's basically become an action hero but I can accept that. The best moments in the film are based around the chemistry of Holmes and Watson. It's a piece of great casting. The plot itself at time was murky, it was more just a macguffin to get into Holmes' mindset.

I believe the whole Asperger's element of Homes has been there right from the outset however. Without an impossible puzzle to fixate on, Holmes is a self destructive character. It's just that Robert Downey Junior is the first actor to really push that aspect of it.

They've set up the threads of great sequel and hopefully we'll get a great mystery to match.

They'll be making Holmes' films for years to come.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 10:02 pm

theLilAsimov wrote:
Hello to all of Wrong Planet!! Merry Christmas! :)

I was wondering if anyone has seen or is going to see Sherlock Holmes today? I know I am; my mother is taking my sister and I to the movies as a holiday treat. :D

Happy New Year to you.

I just watched this at the movies and really enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed the movie and without giving away the plot;

1. The movie was different that I expected
2. The 2 main characters were different to what I expected
3. Sherlock Holmes (played by Robert Downey Jr) seemed to display 'several' AS traits

:D

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 2:16 pm

in my opinion, the downey junior portrayal is inferior to jeremy brett's portrayal of holmes.

it is simply my opinion that jeremy brett portrayed holmes in a most stunning way.

here is a smalll snippet to show jeremy brett.
http://www.vimeo.com/8577535

he had such a subtlety and an energy that i admired so much.
he was in his nid 50's in this clip. (not that that matters) and i think "wow....what a perfect performance"