How you met your significant other

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 8:06 pm

I met my first wife sort of by way of computers. This was back in the Eighties, when the Internet was mostly for universities, and local Bulletin Board Systems (BBSs) were how individuals met online. We were members of the same boards, and she was also a member of a group from the boards that would meet on Friday nights for bowling. (This was what passed for excitement in Omaha, NE, in those days.) I was at the bowling alley, playing a video game, and a little boy kept coming up and interrupting me. I finally took him back to his mother - an act which, while I don't regret it, did lead to some regrettable consequences.

Ten years later, when she had left me for another meal ticke- er, I mean, another man, I was in a regionally-based online chat room, moping loudly. One person there was willing to put up with it, because I'd helped her through a rough patch a few months earlier. We started to - ah - "have feelings" for each other, and agreed to meet face-to-face at a chatroom-sponsored picnic (following the major rule of online meets - make the first meeting in a public place, with lots of exits and lots of witnesses). That was going on thirteen years ago now... :)

Jak
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jan 2010, 9:25 pm

I met my boyshape online through a Live Journal community called shitty_advice. He asked a question on there and I put a daft reply. I didn't think anything of it really until he tracked me down through myspace. He was the most beautiful man I'd ever seen and just fell in love instantly heh. After knowing each other for 2 years we finally started going out 2 weeks ago. Patience pays off it seems. He's an aspie too.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 10:26 am

We met through Yahoo personals 5 or so years ago but for a whole lot of reasons were never able to get together. Last April she emailed me out of the blue after no contact for a few years. I went over to her new house for dinner and ended up staying for breakfast. 8) We are very different from each other but it has been the best relationship either of us have ever had.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 12:35 pm

How i met mine was COMPLETELY random :lol: .
She added me randomly on Myspace.
But i believe i have a thread about that posted up that's still very much alive if you were interested.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 12:54 pm

Well, I obviously don't have one now, but I met the one SO that I did have through my church. I knew her for 3 years before feelings started to develop.

DeadHead
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jan 2010, 9:46 pm

deleted.

Last edited by DeadHead on 18 Jan 2010, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 11:19 pm

billsmithglendale wrote:
Completely randomly, during a walk in my neighborhood. I had never met anyone during any of my walks before, and in fact was in the middle of a really long dry streak, dating-wise. Just goes to show you you can meet the right person anywhere, so always be ready, and always make a social contact if you can.

Yup, you can meet a person anywhere, anytime...when you least expect it. It doesn't matter if you live in a small town, or a huge city, if the time is right, it will happen.

The universe works in ironic ways sometimes. When you are really searching for something, you just don't seem to find it, but the moment you give up looking, oppurtunities will show up out of the blue.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 8:07 am

Tim_Tex, are you paying any attention to this thread?

BetsyRath
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jan 2010, 12:55 pm

We originally met in 1996 as part of an online political discussion and argument list at a large software company where we both worked. (I worked in HR, he as a programmer). There were a few opportunities to meet in person, including some group lunches. But primarily we knew each other only as online friends, arguing politics in a group. From time to time we would exchange personal email with thoughts about life, relationships and careers.

He was not married, but I was. Then, about 4 years ago my marriage ended.

In 2007, after twelve years of email, I sent a message out to the same political chat forum asking if someone might be available to help recover photos and email after a hard drive failure. In the second year of single motherhood, there wasn't a large budget for technical assistance. Mr. Rath replied that he would be happy to come and fix the computer, and hinted (not subtly) about a home-cooked dinner.

The computer work was completed in exchange for dinner and an apple pie. On the third 'computer fixing' visit as the project was ending, fearing I couldn't milk another visit out of him and seeing he was NOT going to make the first move, I asked him if he would join me on a date.

We were married in September with our kids there.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 11:23 pm

My ex husband - I met him in highschool.

My boyfriend - I met him on another Aspie forum at a time when neither of us were looking, or even wanted a relationship. So when we started chatting, we had nothing to lose. But then we realized we had a ton in common and it all sort of fell into place.

Gremmie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 3:55 am

My bf and I kinda met on the internet, basically in an irc channel that was just for a group of us who knew each other from uni - he started working with one of them so got introduced to the channel. We didn't really talk much to start with. I decided he was potentially interesting the first time we met irl because he jumped onto a lamppost and swung round it a few times (yes, I am that easily impressed) but he was in a relationship so wasn't worth thinking about too much. He decided I was potentially interesting at a pub trip after that where he kept asking 'why?' so I made up a whole creation story involving dragons to answer that.
Either way his girlfriend dumped him, we were friends for about 7 months, then one day (under the influence of some very good music and a small amount of cider) he decided it might be a nice idea to kiss me. That was over a year ago, scary stuff indeed.

littlegreenleaf
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jan 2010, 4:21 am

Through WP, realized we grew up in the same area and started talking...basically anything I've ever been in has started with friends.

Tias
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 9:32 pm

I met mine at a cosplay convention xD

Funny thing is, when i arrived in the city it was and got out of the train, i was so confused as in what direction i had to go to get to the convention, so i looked around, and i saw this group of girls with different clothing/alternative clothes, and knew they were going to the convention to ( lol ), so i asked them directions, and got it, and she was in that group to.

After getting the directions they said "see you at the con" and because i was in a hurry i replied with a " yeah yeah", sounding like i didn't care, and first thought about that after i walked away.
But i did meet them there again, and from there i hanged out with them and also ran around to take pictures and stuff.
After the convention was over i got their e-mail adresses and they got mine, and then i just began to talk and write alot with one of them because i liked her and etc.
We met up a day she was in the same city as where i am taking my education, and had a, hmm "un-official" date or something like that xD
and that later lead on to us becoming a couple.

today is our 2 months anniversery to

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 9:42 pm

I met my first girlfriend in high school.

I met my second one on an online forum.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mandi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2010, 10:18 pm

I met my fiancee on the internet. I kind of stumbled into my relationship. We started out friends just talking and learning more about eachother and going on "friend dates". If chemistry is good both people will feel the same way. When you both know that you really like each other then you know that there is something special. Both of you have to be completely open and willing to talk and listen to each other. When a relationship is real it will just flow together and happen naturally.

Shadow-Fox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2010, 7:23 pm

I'm now in love and am loved. It's happened only recently. I wasn't expecting it that's for sure! I met her right here on Wrong Planet! We are both Aspies in love! lol.
It's been a whirlwind romance so i'm still rather stunned by it all. I guess by being Aspies that we understand and accept each other greatly. Plus our interests are hugely alike!
Me Za Happy Man!! ! :D :P :D