Private life: Why do people get upset when you don't divulge

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2009, 4:59 pm

Why do some people get upset when you refuse to divulge your relationship status? I get asked by some family members and some friends whether I am in a relationship or not and I tell them "that is a personal question; I prefer not to talk about my private life." My cousin today got so angry about this statement! She said, "that's because you don't have anyone!" This is further from the truth as I do not have a serious boyfriend but rather have been seeing a couple of people for the past year. Knowing how conservative some of my family members are, I believe it would be better to avoid the gossip and reprimentation this information would cause if they knew.

I am 26 and old enough to make my own decisions. Why do people make assumptions about one's private life and then get angry when you refuse to discuss it? If someone tells me that something is private, end of story. I can't imagine getting angry about a person's refusal to discuss his/her personal life.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Why do people make assumptions about one's private life and then get angry when you refuse to discuss it?

Because people LOVE to gossip. I don't understand the anger either. I'm a rather naughty girl though so I tell people to mind their own f-ing buisiness! (maybe cut the cuss out...) It is especially bad in small towns and villages. I threw up one day at my Grandad's house and the whole village knew by midday. These people obviously have nothing more exciting to talk about whereas I (personally) can talk about maps and rabbits!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 5:10 pm

I hate it, when people do that to me. My personal life is my own business.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 5:14 pm

I completely agree with you. What you choose to divulge to others is your business and if you choose to keep your relationship status private, then others should respect that decision. I could not imagine getting angry at someone for not wanting to share information about their private life, what a ridiculous reaction.

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 5:23 pm

My cousin (who is somewhat of a sex maniac) often asks me if I'm still a virgin, or, "Got laid this week?" I don't know why he does this; maybe it's just pure sensationalism. It pisses me off big time, but I choose to ignore him, as I don't want to get into any family fights...

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 5:27 pm

I think if you even find it necessary to mention that someone is asking inappropriately personal questions, the questioner should be embarrassed that they needed to be told, rather than getting angry for not getting the information they asked for.

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2009, 5:38 pm

Willard wrote:
I think if you even find it necessary to mention that someone is asking inappropriately personal questions, the questioner should be embarrassed that they needed to be told, rather than getting angry for not getting the information they asked for.

Well, my cousin got angry because when I was younger, I would discuss things like that with her, but after an incident this year with a few backstabbing relatives who divulged some details about my private life to the rest of the family, I said to myself that from now on I will not tell anyone details about my personal life. Experience has taught me that people are untrustworthy and sooner or later they will gossip about you with someone else.

subliculous
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2009, 5:41 pm

dddhgg wrote:
My cousin (who is somewhat of a sex maniac) often asks me if I'm still a virgin, or, "Got laid this week?"

just tell him "yeah, i went and [edited for content by sinsboldly]and got it over with. i felt nothing. happy now?"

people get pissed off when you deprive them of personal info to gossip about. i personally have no clue why people are so interested in other people's business.

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 5:43 pm

Alla wrote:
Willard wrote:

Well, my cousin got angry because when I was younger, I would discuss things like that with her, but after an incident this year with a few backstabbing relatives who divulged some details about my private life to the rest of the family, I said to myself that from now on I will not tell anyone details about my personal life. Experience has taught me that people are untrustworthy and sooner or later they will gossip about you with someone else.

You're quite right about this. If people betray your trust like that, they're obviously not worth it.

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 5:47 pm

subliculous wrote:
dddhgg wrote:
My cousin (who is somewhat of a sex maniac) often asks me if I'm still a virgin, or, "Got laid this week?"

just tell him "yeah, i went and bought[edited for content by sinsboldly]and got it over with. i felt nothing. happy now?"

people get pissed off when you deprive them of personal info to gossip about. i personally have no clue why people are so interested in other people's business.

:D LOL. Maybe their minds are too petty to discuss really important things, so that it's only other people's little details that are left to talk about. "Ordinary minds discuss people; fine minds discuss events; exquisite minds discuss ideas," or something like it.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 5:53 pm

subliculous wrote:
just tell him "yeah, i went and [edited for content] 10 minutes and got it over with. i felt nothing. happy now?"

Pretty much this.

When friends or relatives asked me personal questions like that I told them some outrageous story they could tell all their gossip pals. After a while the questions stopped because I cut back on the outrageous part of the stories, making them normal, everyday events that were of no particular interest (to the sensationalist buzzards they are).

If you care about what people say behind your back then this is not the way for you. If you don't, then get ready to feel dirty for spewing out bile to feed the nosey maggots.

(appologies for my language, but I have no love for such people)

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

28 Dec 2009, 6:20 pm

I am constantly bombarded with personal questions. You would think people would grow tired of getting the same responses from me every time. I don't like to expand past "fine" "ok" or "not much". Any answer other than those often present opportunities for further questioning.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2009, 8:33 pm

dddhgg wrote:

Sister does the same

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 9:01 pm

I love talking about myself!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 9:15 pm

It gets me mad too. It espicially seemms bad when you give them some snipet of info, Its like they think its a key to unlock your life

28 Dec 2009, 9:19 pm

Sometimes my parents get nosy about my life. I get a little embarrassed. I got asked by my dad if I am pregnant yet. I said I hope my husband knocked me up. But I was just joking when I said it because I had just finished my period so I doubt I was. It's too little of a chance I will be.