Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Captain_Kirk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2010, 1:02 am

Here is something that really grinds my gears: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. People walk around saying this, but it kind of goes unexamined. If there is a road that leads to hell, let's call it Rosie O'Donnell's vagina Boulevard, and the entire road is paved with good intentions, then that means that having good intentions means you go to hell. So naturally, the road to heaven, let's call it Video Games Lane, must be paved with bad intentions. So try to figure this out. Good intentions means you go to hell. Bad intentions means you go to heaven. This makes no sense. Now, if the road to heaven is paved with good intentions, then the whole idea loses all its meaning! Now, if the road to hell is paved with good and bad intentions, then that means the road to heaven is also paved with good and bad intentions, and the whole idea loses its meaning again!

This is a stupid idea, and needs to be completely rethought.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 7:18 am

Captain_Kirk wrote:
Here is something that really grinds my gears: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. People walk around saying this, but it kind of goes unexamined. If there is a road that leads to hell, let's call it Rosie O'Donnell's vagina Boulevard, and the entire road is paved with good intentions, then that means that having good intentions means you go to hell. So naturally, the road to heaven, let's call it Video Games Lane, must be paved with bad intentions. So try to figure this out. Good intentions means you go to hell. Bad intentions means you go to heaven. This makes no sense. Now, if the road to heaven is paved with good intentions, then the whole idea loses all its meaning! Now, if the road to hell is paved with good and bad intentions, then that means the road to heaven is also paved with good and bad intentions, and the whole idea loses its meaning again!

This is a stupid idea, and needs to be completely rethought.

The only place I've ever heard that saying is in a Madonna song... I didn't know people get actual life tips from those... :P

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 7:30 am

I imagine that the road's quite over used so they should probably use roadbase and asphalt instead :roll:

Anyhow, don't live in fear of doing good, if you have to fear something, fear not doing enough.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 1:35 pm

Captain_Kirk wrote:

I think that simply means good intentions do not guarantee a good outcome. Conversely, good things can come even when people had bad or ill intent. Overall, then, and again:

Intentions do not determine/guarantee the values of outcomes.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 4:32 pm

Stupid people who start malicious rumours.

No, you overblown b***h, I did not kidnap your pet cat. What the f**k would I want with a huge unneutered male who would probably pee everywhere and start fights with my much smaller cat all the time?

I swear, I am going to kill you. I think I will casually hold you down and remove your internal organs, while laughing and listening to death metal.

Ok, in reality, I'm not going to hurt anyone. For all that I talk like an aggressive b***h, the few times in my life I used violence outside of a martial arts class, it was self defence and I felt like a murderer anyway for laying a hand on another human being.

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 11:08 pm

Personally, I can't stand the saying "never look a gift horse in the mouth".

I mean, WHAT THE HELL IS A GIFT HORSE??

And, why would I not want to look one in the mouth?

A Thursday child ..

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 11:18 pm

whoops, it posted twice

A Thursday child ..

Eternal_Rose
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2010, 2:03 am

Captain_Kirk wrote:

There is a saying that relates. I like it, but it's usually horribly misused:

"It's the thought that counts."

Because really, it may not make you feel better about much, but if you think about it, it is the thought that counts, as long as they actually did some thinking. I hate how people use it as an excuse :evil: .

About "The road to hell is paved with good intentions," I disagree. I am agnostic, and I believe it is very unlikely Hell exists. As for Heaven, I don't think it's possible to know if it exists. I do believe that souls do not end with death, though. But as for what happens, I'm not going to make up some story about it just to be comforted (no offense to anyone, but I think most religions make too many assumptions). So I try to live life well, because what if there is no life after death? What if our only chance at life is now? So, to hell with that stupid saying, I'm going to have good intentions as often as possible, and not in an attempt to go to Heaven, but for the sake of trying to make the world a little better for someone.

leejosepho wrote:
Intentions do not determine/guarantee the values of outcomes.

But it's the thought that counts XP

Sorry for ranting and strange sense of humor, but this is the "Rant about anything" thread.

Is be more like me, and be less like you" ~ "Numb", Linkin Park

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 3:23 am

What are those things on the end of shoelaces? I don't know. They don't have a name!

Grape Nuts: You look in the box, no grapes, no nuts, what's the deal?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 7:37 am

mysassyself wrote:
Personally, I can't stand the saying "never look a gift horse in the mouth".

I mean, WHAT THE HELL IS A GIFT HORSE??

And, why would I not want to look one in the mouth?

I heard an explanation for that many years ago, and it had to do with not inspecting the teeth of a horse being given as a gift. But if you were actually buying the horse, you would definitely want to first have a look ... kind of like not buying a pig in a poke (a large sack of some kind) without first assessing its true value.

sefer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2010, 9:43 am

Yeah, you're not supposed to check the teeth of a gift horse because it's the thought that counts.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 10:07 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
What are those things on the end of shoelaces? I don't know. They don't have a name!

Grape Nuts: You look in the box, no grapes, no nuts, what's the deal?

The plastic caps are called aglets.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 3:17 pm

Why can't people just be honest, anymore. Why do people hide things from each other. I don't hide anything from any of you wonderful people, here at WrongPlanet. When did people stop telling the truth? Did they stop telling the truth, in the 1980s, when society decided that it wasn't okay for young people to be themselves and be different from their peers, and the mainstream? I think that honesty phased out, as the 20th Century came to a close.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 4:55 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Why can't people just be honest, anymore ...
I think honesty phased out, as the 20th Century came to a close.

I doubt there has ever been an "Era Of Honesty", and I have heard people say the past was actually just as bad as today. For example, street lights came into being a couple of centuries ago (or whenever) because of juveniles being delinquent in the streets after dark. Today we just see reality more clearly.

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2015, 4:48 pm

It means that even if you have the best of intentions, you can still end up doing things that would, if certain relgions were real, would send you to hell.
Sometimes you have to think about things, rather than just take them at face value. Once you realize people often say things non-literally, things become much easier to understand. A lot of what NTs say are expressions or sayings. If something sounds literally impossible, even if they don't know the science behind it, they probably know it's not possible. Unless it's religion related, then don't even bother, they never listen to logic or reason

hiding
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2015, 5:00 pm

Intentions are worthless. If I intended to do something but don't do it then my intention is worthless. If I intend to do my homework but don't then I get a bad grade.
If I did my homework then my intention doesn't matter because I did it. Intentions are like broken promises. Many people say they intended to help me but they didn't. So their intentions are like lies, and liars should go to hell.
Unfortunately the liars get everything and I just get screwed